Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    they aren't removed
    Somewhere on the first page I read that, maybe I'm wrong ?

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

Hi to all, and first of all, thank you to all of you for you feedbacks!

Leonardusius, you're right, the Etruscans have been removed because in the game timeline (starting 270 a.C.) actually they were already subdued by the Romans, and -maybe- there were just small communities on the adriatic coast (the small city of Spina), surrounded by hostile celtic communities.

Therefore, we decided to change the Etruscan faction with the Boii (Cisalpine Gauls) in former Ariminum region (actually a pretty important gallic faction at the time, and the last celtic people of northern Italy to be subdued by the Romans).

We changed also the name of Ariminum (a roman colony founded in 268) region in Bononia... we know that Bononia is not on the coast, but actually it was the only choiche for a prominent city in that context.

Velathri region has been instead renamed "Volterrae", the roman name of Velathri, being actually under roman control in the time period.

LordKhainES, actually the Spaniard rosters are four: one for Iberians (Bastetani, Ilergetes and Edetani), one for Turdetani, one for Celtiberians (Arevaci, Callaeci, Celtici, Cantabri) and one for Lusitani... all of them heavily rely on AOR for recruiting, to fit more historical, and for now we're not plannig to add new units to them... howerver "Iberian" as a culture will be in the game.
    Bastetani rely on Iberian roster, they need just a small correction to erase the remnant features of Carthago Nova.

Black9, Britons and Eblani are ready -my fault I hadn't posted them yet -.- -, and after them will be Syracuse :-)

Thank you again to all!

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Here,have a small present.

Any plans for Daco-Getians ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza93 View Post

Here,have a small present.
    Thank you Jezza93+Rep

We may use it for the logo, it looks pretty good

just wondering why hastati are so weak ? i mean i was fighting against boi and they had only these spearmen infrantry and i lost a lot of soliders,they were running even with 50 mens damn will be this fixed ?

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    just wondering why hastati are so weak ? i mean i was fighting against boi and they had only these spearmen infrantry and i lost a lot of soliders,they were running even with 50 mens damn will be this fixed ?
    Because hastati weren't the super soldiers that vanilla would have you believe. Rome won a lot of early wars due to great leadership or luck, not martial prowess.

This mod looks very interesting, and I look forward to playing it. Thanks for sharing it!

One question I have involves installation. My mod install experience with Rome II this far has involved data packs, but since this once is an installer, would you recommend having a separate copy of my total war install files? I remember doing that with MTW2 and Rome I.

Thanks for anyone advice/suggestions.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Default Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph The Great View Post
    This mod looks very interesting, and I look forward to playing it. Thanks for sharing it!

One question I have involves installation. My mod install experience with Rome II this far has involved data packs, but since this once is an installer, would you recommend having a separate copy of my total war install files? I remember doing that with MTW2 and Rome I.

Thanks for anyone advice/suggestions.
    I don't think so, you can if you want to. All it's doing is placing the pack file with the right language in your data folder.

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused...

Brilliant, thanks so much @Black9. I'll go right ahead and start playing it then

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused...

Very good mod indeed. Please let me IMHO to point a few opinions:
    -removing etruscans: historically accurate, decision arguable;
    -removing onagers for barbarians: historically ''so-so'' (first encounters with Rome very quickly convinced them to use, dacians were a good example, when after first wars with romans the peace treaty stipulate that romans give them war machines and engineers to teach construct them), decision wrong;
    -removing flame pillum: historically accurate, decision good;
    - removing flame arrows horse archers: historically accurate, decision good;
    -replacing Nova Carthago: historically ''so-so'', decision arguable;
    -removing fire pot ships: historically highly innacurate; decision wrong;
    -Siege engines and catapults are less effective against city walls: historically depends on type of walls; decision arguable;
    -Torch attack against gates are much less effective: historically very accurate; decision good;
    -
    Units’ fantasy abilities are disabled: historically arguable, decision arguable. Here now we still unbelieve some ancient armies abilities, but very accurate, for example dacians use lot of honey bees nests against persian invading forces, heavily used draco stindard for hundred of years to induce fear, just same reason of Stuka's ww2 diving buzzer, etc...
    So in my mind, a good thing is to ask for opinions when going to make changes to the game.
    Thank you.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    So in my mind, a good thing is to ask for opinions when going to make changes to the game.
    Thank you.
    When an author makes a mod, he will create it based on his vision of the perfect experience, not what other people tell him is the perfect experience.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Black9 View Post
    Because hastati weren't the super soldiers that vanilla would have you believe. Rome won a lot of early wars due to great leadership or luck, not martial prowess.
    Thanks for answering, Black9 and your answer is totally correct

Very good mod indeed. Please let me IMHO to point a few opinions:
    -removing etruscans: historically accurate, decision arguable;
    -removing onagers for barbarians: historically ''so-so'' (first encounters with Rome very quickly convinced them to use, dacians were a good example, when after first wars with romans the peace treaty stipulate that romans give them war machines and engineers to teach construct them), decision wrong;
    -removing flame pillum: historically accurate, decision good;
    - removing flame arrows horse archers: historically accurate, decision good;
    -replacing Nova Carthago: historically ''so-so'', decision arguable;
    -removing fire pot ships: historically highly innacurate; decision wrong;
    -Siege engines and catapults are less effective against city walls: historically depends on type of walls; decision arguable;
    -Torch attack against gates are much less effective: historically very accurate; decision good;
    -
    Units’ fantasy abilities are disabled: historically arguable, decision arguable. Here now we still unbelieve some ancient armies abilities, but very accurate, for example dacians use lot of honey bees nests against persian invading forces, heavily used draco stindard for hundred of years to induce fear, just same reason of Stuka's ww2 diving buzzer, etc...
    Thank you.
    Thank you for sharing your opinions, leonardusius+Rep. il Pitta and I will consider your feedback but bear in mind that most design decision are well thought out and with il Pitta's background, as a Ph.d on the subject, everything is thoroughly researched while we worked on this first version

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    When an author makes a mod, he will create it based on his vision of the perfect experience, not what other people tell him is the perfect experience.
    Thanks Splenyi, it is a very true comment, that describes the background for modding a game, in a few words+Rep

Cant wait for the Geto-Dacian preview Iutland+il Pitta.
    Fair warning though, I will be highly critical... They're the only peoples I really care about!

First, the Dacians werent just barbarians, and while they did began to field artillery in large numbers, that came much later in their history.
    However, I amm against the complete removal of their artillery. Perhaps giving them access at a very advanced tech stage?

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Most people don't realise that artillery wasn't a field weapon in this era. It was used EXCLUSIVELY for sieges (I mean anything larger than a small scropion or oxybeles). The only exception is a few characters, such as Alexander the Great... and I think that's it... Caesar might have, but I can't remember. In any case, it would only have been possible to utilise such artillery in the field with an extremely complex and advanced artillery train system, let alone having access to the technology to actually create or buy these machines.

So this should be represented, and if any "barbarian" nation would want to recruit them, they should have to go through several lifetimes of development to reach that point (there was only a few places in the world creating impressive siege machines in our era, such as Syracuse, Alexandria and Carthage), but entirely excluding them from these nations is equally valid, because it may be considered impossible to reach that level of development in the given time frame of the game. The skill, expertise and knowledge required to create these machines was extremely rare, and certainly not cheap.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; March 01, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Caracala View Post
    Cant wait for the Geto-Dacian preview Iutland+il Pitta.
    Fair warning though, I will be highly critical... They're the only peoples I really care about!

Where is this preview ? And I think peoples can't understand the facts...I didn't say dacians had full access on war machines. Contrary, but very soon they had them...another way and even used them against former ''providers'', the romans. And in romans mind dacians were nothing else than plain barbarians. Point. Even the term is well disputed and the history tell us more.

First, the Dacians werent just barbarians, and while they did began to field artillery in large numbers, that came much later in their history.
    However, I amm against the complete removal of their artillery. Perhaps giving them access at a very advanced tech stage?
    Good point, I agree with that.

The reason for not having siege engines available for less mathematically advanced factions are the fact that it required complex mathematical calculations (for that era at least) to build workable stone throwing machines. This was not just a decision based on historical readings/accounts but also highly influenced by my own engineering background.

On the other hand we have increased the chance for capturing artillery units, from a beaten enemy, from the 10% vanilla setting to our own 50% chance in CAC. This is IMO the most likely way the less mathematically advanced factions are able to acquire siege artillery.

I've recently been shown this lovely website by one of my professors. https://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/trajan...ata/search.php

Enter a number from 1 -155 in the "Enter scene number/range" window and you'll be shown that scene on Trajan's Column and a list of the figures in it. It certainly the best source for looking over the column, most internet searches will only provide you with a handful of the same images, this has every scene and even detail shots of them. Do keep in mind the site is still under construction though.

Hopefully this can help in some way with the Dacians. I was certainly surprised by the amount of short swords (not Sicas) they are depicted with, seems to be their go-to weapon according to the sculptor.

Some of the best battle scenes are on: 24, 32, 40, 64, 66, 70, 71, 93, 113...... There are many, many more

Quote Originally Posted by Caracala View Post
    I've recently been shown this lovely website by one of my professors. https://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/trajan...ata/search.php

Enter a number from 1 -155 in the "Enter scene number/range" window and you'll be shown that scene on Trajan's Column and a list of the figures in it. It certainly the best source for looking over the column, most internet searches will only provide you with a handful of the same images, this has every scene and even detail shots of them. Do keep in mind the site is still under construction though.

Hopefully this can help in some way with the Dacians. I was certainly surprised by the amount of short swords (not Sicas) they are depicted with, seems to be their go-to weapon according to the sculptor.

Some of the best battle scenes are on: 24, 32, 40, 64, 66, 70, 71, 93, 113...... There are many, many more
    Unbelievable good point ! I didn't know about that site ! It's amazing in details and for sure best source for ongoing daco-getians faction/mod. Thank you !

madrush's Avatar Senator

will the lucanians be modded?