Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnar Mod v2.32 (Updated 27/03/14) - Patch 15 Compatible

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.03 (Updated 11/9/13) - now with Promethiusts' Realistic Heights Mod + more

Installed last night and had a new campaign as Rome on Hard.

The Etruscan League had some of its units at 1.5 (so as my starting units) but some of their garrison was still at 160 men (Italian Spearmen). Nonetheless, they fought pretty well and didn't break early.

I crushed the Etruscans pretty quickly but they recruited more units than they did in the past, so it wasn't easier as it was before.

Units walking one the battlefield get tired pretty quickly, and once they get in melee they become exhausted a bit too fast. Well, at least it's a change from vanilla where they could run across the map, fight and stay fresh ^^

I'll keep updating as my campaign gets going.

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.03 (Updated 11/9/13) - now with Promethiusts' Realistic Heights Mod + more

Magnar, great work, I love a lot of the changes you made in this mod, except for increased unit sizes and walking fatigue. Walking across a battlefield isn't tiring for a physically fit man, let alone a soldier. I could walk all day long, and if I'm running 10+ miles, walking is definitely the best way to regain your breath and recover - better than stopping completely - so I find this bad in terms of realism and for gameplay purposes.

Would please consider a version that leaves vanilla unit sizes and walking fatigue untouched?
    Last edited by Steel*Faith; September 12, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Be on alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in Love. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel*Faith View Post
    Would please consider a version that leaves vanilla unit sizes and walking fatigue untouched?
    Still, running on an empty stomach under a scorching sun and with 20-30 kg of soldier gear on after a night patrol duty might not seem so enjoyable, even to you.
    And to prove running helps keep mens sana in corpore sano try to download PFM 3.0.2. or whatever version is current, open Magnar's pack (!not the data pack from the original files! ) , delete db/main_units_tables and, eventually, kv_fatigue_tables, save et voila, all your wishes come true.

Oh yes! Better yet, look in kv_fatigue and change some variables to negative numbers as for idle and your soldiers will get quite invigorated by a marathon sprint after a bloody battle after a night fending off amorous advances from their virile brothers in arms (oh yes, those were the days my friend! )
    Last edited by clasbin; September 12, 2013 at 02:02 AM.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Ok gentlemen, The game just dowmloaded something via Steam. Its some patch I presume. How much this new patch affects this mod?
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Downloading patch now, I assume its the patch 1.5 that was in beta test, if so i expect it shouldnt affect the mod but will need to confirm.

The walking fatigue is a strange problem as I havent changed the walking fatigue, it is -1 atm. i will change it to -2 in todays version and see how that goes.

From my new sparta campaign, it seems only the heavy units get exhausted from walking (correct me if im wrong, examples of non heavy units would be nice) or when units have to walk up hills or through tough terrain. I will keep testing but in the mean time ill change walking to -2 and hope it fixes the issue.

The next release will also have increased research for 2tpy. Im not focusing on 4tpy atm, but will once i get the 2tpy balance right.

Thanks for the naval bug report, first its been mentioned in my mod though i had heard of other mods having this issue, ill look into it and hopefully find a fix/workaround

Appreciate all the reports guys keep it up

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

The startpos files have not been changed

I tried the mod for the first time, and I love how the Legionaries can throw their pillum without charging - absolutely brilliant. The only problem I have, is as I said, the fatigue setting in so quickly for the units. By the time my army meets the other army at the mid point of the map, both mine and the AI's armies are already in the yellow from just walking. Is the adjustment you made already up, or do you still need to release it?
    Be on alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in Love. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

i still need to release it, but first i have to check what changes were made in the recent patch and if they affect my mod, once thats done ill upload the new version.

MacManus's Avatar Foederatus

tested the mod in custom battle. there is a bug with chariots. forgot to make a screenshot. in a chariot unit (pontos) there will be about 20 horses running around a chariot. so there is something messed up with the unit size.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

the chariot bug was in pre 103, thought i fixed it in v103 though. Which version are you using? if 103 ill check it out again, its a quick fix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    i still need to release it, but first i have to check what changes were made in the recent patch and if they affect my mod, once thats done ill upload the new version.
    Ok, thank you mate!

By the way, were there any changes made to Elephants in your mod?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

yes, elephants now are worse in the cold, slower through forests, have had unit size and hp/armour increased and dmg reduced by the same % as all other units. They have also had their mass increased to realistic levels ie abt 4-5000 to 7000 (most heavy armoured units are around 100-120 mass so if 1 mass =1k. An avg elephant is around 7 tonnes. that was the logic i used)

Aux elephants have had their armour changed from cloth to leather. Cos their armour is their skin... unless its metal.

loving the changes man
    "It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
    -Robert E. Lee

Magnar, i see you mentioned increased research time in your next version for the 2tpy one. Are you considering increased building and army recruit time x2 as well then? That would make the game harder and thus more enjoyable me thinks.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

No army recruitment will stay the same, building construction will probably also be increased.

I have my own idea for army recruitment which so far has proven difficult but would slow down and probably improve the number of quality ai units.

If any scripters out there would like to help out trying to get it to work, send me pm.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

aenome there is a startpos file on the op that is for 4tpy, follow installation instructions and it should work

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.04 (Updated 12/9/13) - now with 2/4 tpy versions(increased tech/build times)

With this version I've split the files into their sections hopefully to make it clearer. Let me know if you prefer it this way or the other. If I eventually get around to making an installer for the mod then this will help surely. If anyone knows an easy way to make an installer please send me a link. Apart from that enjoy And give feedback of course.

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.04 (Updated 12/9/13) - now with 2/4 tpy versions(increased tech/build times)

Thank you Magnar, I'll be playing the new version this afternoon!

I like the changes you made to Elephants, they definitely seem like they'll be more fun to use and not die so quickly. I just wish we had armored elephants to use now

As for their attack rate, have you noticed they attack kinda slow, and it makes them look too artificial, opposed to always moving and acting somewhat agitated and panicked being in the middle of a battle? Have you considered increasing their attack rate, and balancing their damage appropriately? They also never panic for me - they just die - so I've never seen any risk in using them to your own army, and there's no fear of fighting them or using them. I just figured this might be a good way of making elephants feel more lifelike in-game, as well as making them better at disruption and causing mayhem among the enemy (or allies).

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

There is no variable for attack rate, so it would not affect their dps, however it may be possible (probably is) to edit their animation.

Ill have to see it for myself first though to see if and by how much its necessary. Any elephant unit in particular you were referring to?

Did you remove the double general level up points? Just installed the 1.04 and I only get 1 point now.