Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnar Mod v2.32 (Updated 27/03/14) - Patch 15 Compatible

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.041 (Updated 12/9/13) - Fixed Pontus chariot bug with 1.04 x2

That was for you SirPeacemaker, if you dont want 3.5x build/research time then just delete Magnar Mod 4tpy v104.pack.

I haven't fixed the naval bug yet.

Also new x2 unit size version up to fix pontus chariot bug.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Magnar Mod v1.041 (Updated 12/9/13) - Fixed Pontus chariot bug with 1.04 x2

Thought id share with you who haven't seen, how crappy transports are in this mod.

2 transports rammed each other in my recent test and they both sunk Head on with a transport is not a good idea

I'm interested in the 1.04 version for the reduction in fatigue but I'd like to keep the 4tpy and normal research and build times as I want my generals to live longer but don't want to wait for the Marian Reforms for too long.

What should I do ?

If I can't have one (fatigue reduction) without the other (longer research) it won't be the end of the world, as the mod is great already and am really enjoying it.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Np, use the following files.

base mod file
    startpos.esf from 4tpy additionals
    the additional army size file.

Working, thanks Magnar

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Hi Magnar,

just fought a great battle (Romans vs Carthago)... small sized battle to better analyze units behaviour and battle scenes.. Must admit that it was probably the best result to now.. I lost, but i must say that i don't (for my choice) exploit any potential AI weakness, so i play a simple defensive formation, without attempting cunning tactics ...
    My personal suggestion for even better experience, because i think your work has great potential..
    I believe that worst AI behaviour happens when units begin to rout from the battlefield (AI can't manage this thing as smart as the player)..
    1) So probably a bit more moral to all troops would be a good thing in terms of gameplay (even if less realistic than real troop behaviour on the battlefield).
    2) Eventually also lower the penalty of negative events on the battlefield. (just a bit more than actual settings)
    3) Absolutely disable all CA special effects like flaming javelins (strangely, i run your 1.04 version with SpecialAbilitiesBeGoneV3.pack but this was ineffective.. i think that in previous tests it didn't conflict with your modded files).. now it has no effects
    4) Not sure if the fire at will option for romans troops is a good thing or not.
    5) I didn't test any pike unit.. for experience CA never was able to get things working decently with pike units.. So i suggest to create a version that completely ignores pike units (i know that it is a high price to pay, but better avoiding them that ruining game experience) and replaces them with strong hoplites, with eventually some additional bonuses for compensation.

I will continue to test your great mod and keep you informed about my esperience on the battlefield.
    Thanks a lot for your great work!

Magnar - I just found an issue. I play with double unit sizes. It's all good in land battles - double unit sizes(320) BUT in naval landing battles there's an issue - only 200 men per ship! I noticed just few minutes ago

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Is there a cjoice that has only unit sizes edited and nothing else? I have other mods installed and dont want them to intefere.

Thanks

Magnar, do you think it's possible to have the defensive testudo formation still throw javelins in the back ranks? As seen in this in-game picture... http://wiki.totalwar.com/images/6/6b...evealRome1.jpg

Also ,have you seen any formation in the files that allows hoplites to form a real phalanx, such as this? http://wiki.totalwar.com/images/f/f2...sacredband.jpg
    Be on alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in Love. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

Hm, looked for the precursor weapon throw till I fell asleep. No luck. Still have lots of red tables though. My idea was to let cohorts throw their pilum when charging and see if another special ability could be used to make them fire at will while stationary. No luck with that either. Seems like all fire related abilities only influence reload rates or damage, a new one should be created but that is beyond me.

Whoever wants to just play around with abilities or make his own blend without having Magnar make 12 variants of his mod should have a look at db/land_units_to_land_unit_abilities_junctions_tables (which you can find in Magnar_Mod vxxx.pack) - first column is ability code, second is unit code. For instance assigning form_defensive_testudo for Rom_hastati gives them the defensive testudo and this can be in addition to the offensive one (have to give Radious credit here as he was the first to play with it or at least I got it from him). You can also give them form_shield_wall from, let's say, celtic units (Cel_something) and so on. You can also have a look at db/unit_abilities_table (form data_rome2.pack) for a more comprehensive list of abilities, some however date back to Shogun and are not used by the game.

Transport ships are clearly outmatched by navy units. Destroyed 2 etruscan 8 unit armies with a 25 men assault quadrireme until one transport finally managed to board me . Think they should be sturdier yet a bit slower.

Regarding other mod compatibilities, it's not like your computer is going nuclear if a conflict arises. One mod (last to load) takes precedence and the tables in it will overwrite the other's. It's really just up to you to spend 10 minutes opening up the packs and looking over the tables, choosing the ones you want and deleting the others, even copy/paste-ing values between them to make sure the right one gets loaded. Make your own blend as I said, just don't upload it as new and revolutionary when 99% of the work was done by someone else. Really, all it takes is basic read and write, copy and paste skills, clicking buttons and having a delete key on your keyboard (at least for playing with units and their stats). If you can do that for yourselves, modders can be freed of filling up special requests and focus on giving more structure to their mods. And if someone could enlighten me as of how Rome 2 manages movie pack load order I would be grateful. Google-ing it didn't help .

I gave your mod a try but couldn't keep playing. I'm constantly negative in food production which leads my armies slowly disbanding. Being negative in food production on turn 1 by -6 is just was too much for me. Keep up the good work tho man!

Uh, cant download the main fail. It just shows me an empty attachment page. Is it something on my end or is the file down? Can download the additionals and startpos.

Some more remarks on the 4tpy campaign.

Carthage is about to fall to the Gaetuli an it's only 261 BC. Think garrisons should contain more high level units, not just plebs and second hand spearmen. Also Nova Carthago, if it's a starting faction, should also get a boost in defenses or even be removed and merged with Carthage. You are supposed to tangle with them in Spain but are one of the first to die.

Attrition during siege looks nice, but defenders should also suffer.

Numerous diplomatic requests from other factions, still no one dares to go to war with you.

Someone said max transport capacity is 200, which is true for egyptian transports but each land unit has a different type of transport assigned to it. For romans I think it's 160 max. Naval units have even less. (Talking about how many men can fit on deck, not what is set in max_men_per_ship). Still, even with small units like generals you can get the naval bug. Wonder if making the unit rout at a higher casualty number can fix ships getting stuck but I see no way of doing that without affecting land units too (which I really don't want). Maybe it can be scripted, don't know. So professional naval units shouldn't exceed the default capacity of their ship. It's useless in naval battles anyway and maybe you should look at them as a small desant force when assaulting a port, not another full size army. Could be interesting.
    Last edited by clasbin; September 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: damn grammar and spelling! :)

Started a new 1.04 game yesterdaynight. Egypt VH. 2tpy 1.5 unit size. Played about 40 turns and thus far it looked great. building time is balanced, making conquest even more difficult due to having to wait longer for buildings to come up. AI seemed great in the fights i had, although bowmen seemed very op against the ai. Elephants a bit to OP as well, had 2 elephants squads take out almost 3000 men before they died.
    Food/squalor balance seemed ok, it was a challange to keep it balanced after taking over provinces.
    The AI seems to build up some nice armies, not allot of agents.
    But as the above poster also states, AI still seemed very passive, not 1 war declaration. (although it might be just egypt in this case, most surrounding nations are smaller.)

Loving the direction this is going, keep it up.

ps. I play this with the stronger walls mod. which seems a bit more balanced. Would love a nerf to fire throwers against doors, just not too much of a nerf.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Well I also started a new 1.04 game. Parthia VH. 2tpy 1.5 unit size.

And I must say that Parthias neighbours certainly aren't passive. I'm fighting Bactria and two other factions tot the north. I've also got 3 trade agreements. So I'm having a great time.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Hi Magnar,

Just a quick question - is it possible to use Mitch Seleucid mod together with yours? I want to play 2tpy and I was wondering if you change anything else in startpos,esf file, apart from turn number?
    BTW - your mod rulezzz baby
    thx

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for all the reports guys.

1) Still working on the naval bug. It happens in both 1.5x and 2x though i suspect its worse in 2x.

2) The unit size modules will be compatible with a number of other mods, but not those that change any unit stats.

3) Ill be looking at unit formations in the next couple days (ie defensive testudo etc. I first need to look at all possible ones, see which work and how they look before assigning them. I know other mods have already done this
    but i dont only want to copy other mods and would rather make the decision my self (although it may end up being the same ). Having said that I intend on including other mods when they are finished such as realistic names etc if i can get permission.

4)Sieges. Ive only ever fought 2 sieges in about 60hrs of game time so i havent really made them a priority. I will get to them though, probably after I increase garrison unit strength.

5)AI aggressiveness: Todays update v1.05 should hopefully make the campaign ai a bit more aggressive. ( I say hopefully because it is not certain that it uses all the values that i change)

6) Thanks for pointing that out about the main file, not sure what happened there. I will re attach after positing this

7) Bigger armies have come at the cost of agents unfortunately.

8) Classbin you'll need to update your schema_R2TW as it is out of date and siege defenders only get attrition if u blockade the port aswell.

9)Agorix which nation were you playing?

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

If he edits the startpos.esf then its not compatible with my 2tpy version but with the main mod and increased unit sizes it is.

I didn't want to include it as it will be released next month as playable and probably with added features.

Thanks for letting me know - I shall wait then for CA to release it