Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quotes for chivalry

Default quotes for chivalry

Hey guys,I want some quotes for chivalry total war,as u know homer and other old RTW dudes should not advice us anymore.

just add any medieval quote u have,said by anybody( better to be popular guy,poet,hero,or scientist)who lived inbetween 400-1500 AD.

also if someone is interested in knights templar, teutonic order,and crusaders should add any quotes he got about them,as they are supposed to be the game heroes,also they have some good principles and quotes.

Default Re: quotes for chivalry

Hm, the old Chivalry build for 1.2 already had medieval quotes, I wondered where they went as well. But as I don´t have the 1.2 version anymore I can´t look them up.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Come on guys let's get this up and running!
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

The banners of the king advance, the mystery of the cross shines bright; where his life went through with death, and from death brought forth life.
    -- Venantius Fortunatus in Analecta Hymnica ad600

To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice.
    -- The Magna Carta

And whan a beest is deed he hath no peyne;
    But man after his deeth moot wepe and pleyne.
    -- Geoffrey Chaucer in The Canterbury Tales

(For those of you that don't study english language:
    And when a beast is dead he has no pain;
    But a man after his death moans, weeps and suffers pain.)
    Although i'm not 100% about moan but it seems right to me

Bernard of Chartres used to say that we are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more than they, and things at a greater distance, not by virtue of any sharpness of sight on our part, or any physical distinction, but because we are carried high and raised up by their giant size.
    -- Quoted by John of Salisbury

I hope these are usefull, if you want better ones I will try and find some more.
    Last edited by Vanquisher; September 14, 2006 at 10:32 AM.

thats great imho, though the last one is a bit long for the loading screen. Can you think of any more related to historical events or figures?

cool post Vanquisher,this helps alot,even the last is so many big quotes to a loading screen,but there are another added quotes that is much larger

anyone can contribute to any quote for his FAVROITE medieval hero(there is still places to be filled)

also if someone of u know good sites containg quotes,this helps me alot,as i searched alot for sites but sadly i didnt find any one

At last i ensure that u all will enjoy the new chivalry quotes,especially those talking about the real meaning of chivalry.
    Last edited by palatinae; September 14, 2006 at 05:11 PM.

Proud To Be Orthodox Christian

“Chivalry is the most delicate form of contempt.”

"Conquer thyself, till thou has done this, thou art but a slave; for it is almost as well to be subjected to another's appetite as to thine own." - This is from the 1800's though but it sounds cool imo.

Macrobius, that writ the avision
    In Afrique of the worthy Scipio,
    Affirmeth dreams, and sayeth that they been
    Warning of thinges that men after seen. - Geoffrey Chaucer (1340-1400), British poet

I wol nat lye;
    A man shal winne us best with flaterye;
    And with attendance, and with bisinesse,
    Been we ylymed, bothe more and lesse. - (Geoffrey Chaucer (1340-1400)

"I will not lie;
    A man shall win us best with flattery;
    And with attendance, and with business,
    Be we overwealmed, both more and less." - I'm still trying to find out what the bottom line would be in modern English.
    Last edited by Vanquisher; September 14, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
    Thou shalt defend the Church.
    Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
    Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.
    Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
    Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
    Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
    Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.
    Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
    Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

i think this is chivalry

thank u Vanquisher anyway i will add them and if they need a translator for this old language , i am here
    Last edited by palatinae; September 14, 2006 at 05:36 PM.

MithradatesVI's Avatar Civis

There are plenty of good quotes in the Stratigikon of Maurice....look in the maxims section. I don't remember much of them, but one I do remember is "The Cause of War must be just."

"Here lies the Prince of Chivalry, but he does not die"
    - Edward of Woodstock "the Black Prince", standing over the body of John I, "the Blind King of Bohemia", after the Battle of Crecy.

"Cry for Harry, England and Saint George"
    -Henry V, by William Shakespear

"Once more into the breach"
    - dito

The Battle Speech of Henry V would be a bit long for a loading screen quote, though.

thank to u all, but if somone know french or germans,italian quotes,just add them with their english translation.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by palatinae
    thank to u all, but if somone know french or germans,italian quotes,just add them with their english translation.
    As well quotes of the islamic or steppe-people middle-age world. I don't wanna give the idea, that Chivalry is an only European folks related mod.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Do you want the quotes in the original language or in English?

Oh War ! Hated by all who despise injustice and most terrible for anyone who must witness it.
    Fulcher of Chartes after the Battle of Ramla (1101)

Never could you bring a greater sacrfice before God as you do when you persecute those who rail against him.
    Paschalis II to Robert of Flanders

Christians seek fame in killing heathens because Christ is honored by this act.
    Bernhard of Clairvaux

Concerning the women in the tents of the enemy, the Franks did nothing terrible to them - rather they simply pierced their stomachs with lances.
    Fulcher of Chartes (describing the ransacking of Kerbogha's camp after the victory near Antioch in July of 1098 ) [N.B. you know you're dealing with some nasty ****, when getting your stomach pierced with a lance doesn't qualify as "terrible"]

The troops plundered, massacred, took prisoners, raped and robbed. Their hands were piled up with so amounts of money, furniture, animals, and other booty and prisoners that it made their hearts light and full of joy. Zengi, however, gave the order to stop the killing and plundering and he promised the people of the city justice.

Ibn al-Qalanisis describing the re-conquest of Edessa, December 1144

I'll add more later -- and more Arabic and Byzantine stuff -- let me know if want it in the original languages.
    Last edited by Oswald von Wolkenstein; September 15, 2006 at 11:59 PM.

edit: never mind

Those are really nice quotes btw.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Yes, nice quotes.

Please all in english, and always the author (if he's known, if not then the hint that the author is unknown) and the date (or if it is unknown, then the lifetime of the author if possible).
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

"Hold high the Cross, so I may see it through the flames"
    - Jeanne´d Arc (reportedly)

Good god I feel insignificant, these are great

That wasn't a quote btw!

Check out the bible, they have some hefty quotes. And the Koran, and the jewish scrolls
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

hey guys,this sounds great,actually in the old rtw there were some latin quotes with their translation,so i need some quotes in french,german,italian language and their english translation so i can replace those of the old rtw)

about bible there is only 3 quotes,one of samuel,ezikial(old rtw quotes fit for time of war), and one of matthew telling that blessed those peacemakers as they will be called sons of god(this to give an atmosphere that not all the christian want crusades and holy war and as there is crusaders there also saint asking for god`s love and love between nation(long live the world peace ))

about musilms i think i added many quotes for their scientists,leaders and poem prasining al islam armies(i know arabic well,but adding versus of koran well annoy my arabic freinds as they dont love to see their koran translated in any language other than arabic,also there are some quotes related to war that will be understand in other way especially i am a christian)

ciaran s u are a real hero, i love Jeanne´d Arc ,i searched alot for some quotes for her,thanks alot my friend if u have another quotes in french espiecially for this good saint add them plz.

@ Oswald von Wolkenstein,yes man u can help a lot if u have any quote in any language(french,german.italian,spenish) add them with it`s translation.
    Last edited by palatinae; September 16, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast