Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Racist Ethnic Stereotypes In Rome 2 And Not Realistic Historically

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Racist Ethnic Stereotypes In Rome 2 And Not Realistic Historically

Racism is has been confused with and messed up by the media as it is actually power structure to privilege one group of people over every other in almost every aspect of life to been given everything in a system build for them and nobody else as the media will portray one race as the master race.

Anyway it is only a game get over it and there will be mods to change things!!

omzdog's Avatar Campidoctor

I'd say the game's pretty racist if you prescribe to the notion that a Eurocentric historical view is a byword for white bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Decius101 View Post
    Anyone notice that all the Barbarian factions seem to have huge muscular men? All the Roman units and Greek units have shorter skinnier men. This is not realistic at all! Also, it seems that most of the Roman/Greek units have hair loss problems or are bald.

I have not played Rome 2 yet but do the Romans look shorter than the Barbarian units on the battlefield? Not counting the Beserkers who would probably be taller.

http://www.gameranx.com/img/13-Feb/t...ni-faction.jpg

Look how huge and muscular they are while all the Roman units look skinny. I doubt that in this time all the Barbarian men were huge and muscular, infact the Roman Soldiers would have been bigger if you read this.

http://www.geocities.ws/racial_reality/romans.html

Romans had a heavy build. Don't see many statues with hairloss issues in those pictures either. Roman Legions also placed emphasis on how large a man is for recruiting, you also had to be at least 5'10 to join the Legion, this was after the Marian Reforms. They still placed more emphasis on the size of a man than height but not many short men are huge so I doubt there were any men shorter than 5'8 in the Roman Legion. The Marian reforms were in 107 BC and the Empire had regions mostly in Southern Europe and parts of Southern France so these reforms were not because taller conquered barbarian men could now join the legions, the height requirement was not because of them.

I went through a lot of archeological data concerning the height of ancient european men and I concluded that it is this.

Roman (Italy only): 5'5-5'7 on average, average heights would vary between 5'5-5'7 depending on the city. The average height in Pompeii for men was 5'5 but it was a poor lower class city.

Celtic: 5'7-5'9 depending on the settlement.

Germanic:5'8-5'10 depending on the settlement. All Barbarians lived in little primitive hut villages/towns anyway with wooden buildings and straw huts. All they ever used for Architecture was wood because they didn't know how to build anything else.
    I perfectly agree, there is a Strong Bias and racism toward the mediterranean and other cultures non nordic !

The units are portrayed with an eye to stereotypes and racistic differentiations ...

the gauls and germans are portrayed as half giants tall muscular and all hairy , the romans , greeks etc are portrayed short , skinny and 60% - 90% of them are bald ... so this is actually showing a direct intention in this portray that is not only unrealistic but offensive !

all the trolls that defend what instead is in the game are mostly expressing thier interior racistic beliefs . but I doubt any of them woudl look any closer to the barbarians of RTWII.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

I don't know, kinda hard to be pro-germanic racist when you don't have a drop of european heritage. But then I am 6 ft 4 and pretty muscular around 247 pounds, so go figure. Not that mouthy projecting fools would know anything about straight thinking whenever something that disadvantages them by virtue of fact slaps them in the face.
    TWC reader since 2006

WTF? all the positive comments that could be made about this game and some fool sinks to "Racisim" !!! what has the world come to when we have to look for the worst in everything?
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

OP, you are embarrassing yourself to a point where I can't even laugh anymore, but fold my hands and pray to satan that you will never have kids. This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on those forums.

You say that the game is racist, while you describe nordic culture as "primitive and dumb" and as inferior.
    And as soon as you started to bring in the Nazi Regime you already lost me. Whenever someone comes up with Hitler in a racist debate he has already lost.

-Coming from a ~1,90m tall muscular german-

Quote Originally Posted by Decius101 View Post

Germanic:5'8-5'10 depending on the settlement. All Barbarians lived in little primitive hut villages/towns anyway with wooden buildings and straw huts. All they ever used for Architecture was wood because they didn't know how to build anything else.
    Actually your post is racist at all.

Celts and Germanics used wood, because it was the easiest avaible ressource. In the south they had far less wood. And finally they mediterranean people destroyed the last larger forests they had by themself. A process which started in the Lebanon 3000BC and enden in the early roman empire. As a result they had a clima change and a lot erosion everywhere.

I think we have no a far more realistic despiction of the "Barbarians" than in Rome 1 where they were primary savages. How can this development be racists? Think about it.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Actually your post is racist at all.

Celts and Germanics used wood, because it was the easiest avaible ressource. In the south they had far less wood. And finally they mediterranean people destroyed the last larger forests they had by themself. A process which started in the Lebanon 3000BC and enden in the early roman empire. As a result they had a clima change and a lot erosion everywhere.

I think we have no a far more realistic despiction of the "Barbarians" than in Rome 1 where they were primary savages. How can this development be racists? Think about it.
    No he is not racist , he is portraying a truth , the racism is expressed the way those units are portrayed.
    First of all Germans were not that evoluted and surely not at the level of celts, they barely did have canoes for sailing seas and only near the coasts, in RTWII they get even germanic onagers, germanic scorpios, germanic longships , wich is a total made up invention .Their villages weree mostly made of straws and huts and are documented that they lived in squalor , poverty and harsh conditions wich favoured the banditism and riading of other neightbouring tribes as well as mass migrations .

While as for the game are portrayed as massive giants slender and tall none of them has hair loss, while all other cultures of south are portrayed short , mostly bald and skinny ... Tha's racism ... if you defend that position you are not less.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Rome and all her weak sons will be ground to dust beneath our heels! Where Romans beg their leaders for food, we feed ourselves, we hunt and stay strong. We do not play at war, we are war. Romans will grow fat and weak, hiring Germans to fight for them, and in their weakness we will outlast them, and take over. For Germania!

omzdog's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    My Django gladiator killed a white german man! That's murderer! The master race german, who is tall, muscular, beautiful and victim of racism, only tried to kill Django before Django did even saw him 'cause he knows how those black people are and that Django would eventually try to rob him! It was preventive self defense, but Django turned and stabbed the aryan-master-race-Hitler-dream-huge-tall-beautiful-muscular-and-that's-racism in the ribs!Fak u, Django, you lion dish! Stop being a stereotype of your self! Dont kill people portrayed like being better than you 'cause it's racism!
    I pray you realize nobody is laughing at your comments.

It says 5'10 in the Roman measurement on your source. The closest thing they have, in measurement, to what we call a foot is called a pes. It is equal to .971 feet. Now, they have a smaller unit called a pollex. This conveniently goes into a pes 12 times. Now, when you do the math, 5'10" by the Roman measurement is... zomg 5'7" in modern measurement, not 5'10".

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

All Barbarians lived in little primitive hut villages/towns anyway with wooden buildings and straw huts. All they ever used for Architecture was wood because they didn't know how to build anything else.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppidum

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

This thread is going nowhere constructive. I deleted a bunch of posts and it is not woth it.

-Closed.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123