Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 hrs into rome II what i think.

Default 28 hrs into rome II what i think.

I have put 28 hrs into 2 Roman campaigns. (i had to restart my first because of slave revolts and squalor) At first i was very optimistic but after 28 hrs i dont think CA can fix some of the issues and it will be up to the community to save the game. Under all the game breaking bugs and terrible BAI (the worst in any tw game so far) the are good ideas but CA cant fix all this mess with 1 patch a week. It will be up to our dedicated modders to save R2 so i ask you (modders) please save this total war game it has so much potential under all the squalor . I would write more but i have to be at work in 2 min
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

Default Re: 28 hrs into rome II what i think.

so...enlighten me ... what game breaking bugs did you encounter ... and please keep in mind that game breaking means it keeps you from continuing to play.
    Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski".
    You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh,
    His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not
    into the whole brevity thing.

-- The Dude

The_Dude is right, but I think we have to accept that, to many people, 'game-breaking' means 'spoiling my enjoyment and therefore making me want not to play it any more.'

What I want to know is why would someone bother to start a discussion without having the time (presumably thats the only limitation) to actually present the reasons for their position outside of 'ITS BROKEN!!'.

The battle flag feature I think is gameplay breaking. What is the point of fighting the battle on the field. Naval battles are not right at the moment, amongst other things that listed by users here at twc or at the official forum. It made me stop playing the game until Rome 2 is patched and some silly implementation feature are fixed. I do like Rome 2 but at the moment it needs some patching to make me come back to it.

The biggest problem is the AI, which has usually been terrible at launch of total war games but eventually fixed. CA has said this is one of the things they'll work on first, so I'm confident it'll be okay in the end. Really all they have to do is make the CAI defend its cities instead of running away and letting the garrison get destroyed and then suicide into your forces the next turn. Kind of game-breaking, but shouldn't be too hard to fix, just make it more aggressive. The diplomacy is the best in the series. BAI is kind of stupid, but passable.

We do need some patches and good mods, but this game will be great sooner rather than later. Launch day vanilla versions of the TW series are never all that great IMO, they're always arcade-y and goofy and trying to appeal to 12 year olds. It's always after the game has been fixed up with a few patches and mods that they become the amazing games we all know and love. Just compare vanilla Rome 1 to something like Roma Surrectum 2.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    so...enlighten me ... what game breaking bugs did you encounter ... and please keep in mind that game breaking means it keeps you from continuing to play.
    LOL! Are you on some kind of quest to prove to the people in here that the game is not broken? Give it a rest dude, you are making yourself look like a fool.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

20 hours in, the CAI has only managed to attack me with more than 5 units once. That one time that happened the BAI stood still until the time ran out and I won. Hooray.

No one has declared war on me yet.

The only large field battle I've had ended in the entire enemy army zerging me, to no effect. The BAI is so bad I have yet to lose or even feel threatened in any battle. I play on Very Hard.

Whenever I choose a character in Campaign map FPS halves at least. When I check where my units are walking in battle map same thing happens. This will most likely be fixed.

The UI is huge and takes out a bunch of space for no particular reason:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Campaign map:
    Spoiler for ROME

Spoiler for SHOGUN

Battle:
    Spoiler for ROME

Spoiler for SHOGUN

Damn you cloud!:

Pictures are from Rome and Shogun, displaying the same info. Rome's UI is so cluttered. Why is that when I have 20 units the unit cards are in two rows? One row is apparently 16 unit cards, leave the second row with 4 and the just clutter.
    Shogun II's UI is much smaller and only shows what is needed. And even shows more, like troop numbers.

Fleet battles are a mess. The ships rarely do what they're told unless it's perfect conditions.

Performance being worse, though Shogun 2 looks better or at least the same. (DirectX11 stuff is at least present in Shogun)

These are just some bugs/features that annoy me, where the AI is the only truly gamebreaking one and that's the one I really doubt they'll be able to fix. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. For now, the only reason I play it because I'm a huge TW fan and really want to like it, but it's a frustrating experience.

I mean, Horse Archers outnumbering a few spearmen units 10 to 1 and still losing because they attacked the spearmen from the front in melee is not acceptable AI behaviour.
    I'm out numbered by HORSE ARCHERS.

And I win....

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    LOL! Are you on some kind of quest to prove to the people in here that the game is not broken? Give it a rest dude, you are making yourself look like a fool.
    looking at your posts i think its obvious who the crusader is here and what his cause is.

ive posted my gripes with the game(short battles for example) and am simply fed up with the hyperbole coming from the likes of you that see a sheep and start crying wolf ... just like the OP here ... "all the game breaking bugs" ... yeah ... right ... pity he cant name one ...

-- The Dude

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

I think the crashes to desktop are pretty gamebreaking.
    And the retarded AI. I was fine with Shogun 2 and Empire, stupid sometimes accidentally brilliant. But this is not even that.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

After playing around 20 hours as Egipt on hard difficulty I would say that AI isnt worst than at previous TW games. Recently was playing NTW and Ive seen AI actions like sending his general unit at the beginning of the battle straight at my musketeers dieing straight away or units that not respond to my ranged attacks from 20 metres. The Campaign map AI is improved at my opinion. After taking some actions an alliance formed against me with 10 factions or more against me. When I managed to make one ally he was sending troops to support me or was sending troops at exact possition I did. Never seen such an actions from allies at previous TW games. And remember that your actions make an impact on politics at this game. What I dont like is that many factions dont want to take trade agreements without a reason(Macedonians o Libians for example).

But things that I dont like about Rome 2 is horrible optimisation, bad graphics(I will post an thread soon with comparsions), lack of family, cities tree, lack of some videos(like spyes assasinations or sabotage), unit details, short battles, UI overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    I think the crashes to desktop are pretty gamebreaking.
    those really are individual issues...i havent had a single crash.

And the retarded AI. I was fine with Shogun 2 and Empire, stupid sometimes accidentally brilliant. But this is not even that.
    again ... see sheep...cry wolf...i agree with you that the AI needs a rework but it doesnt make it impossible for you to play, thus not game-breaking.
    as i said in another post...criticise all you want but dont go ranting and raving about game-breaking bugs when there are none.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; September 09, 2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Continuity

-- The Dude

Only if Emperor CA lets us

Coxy's Avatar Miles

Love the game myself. I'll never forget playing the original Rome back in 2004 on my nice shiny new PC - it was awesome and so immersive, it was ground breaking for me.

Rome 2 for me doesn't quite feel the same - but I still love it. I hate the capture points, suffer from lag at times, awful loading times, and don't like the diplomacy - but even if they sorted these issues I don't think it would still be in the same category - for me RTW and MTW2 (and Kingdoms) are far superior to NTW, ETW etc.

But yeah - still love it - can't wait to get home tonight and plough on with my campaign!

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

The game in its current state is broken,look it all around reddit,youtube,steam,offical forum,everywhere people are complaining about low fps,battle and camp lag,fast battles etc etc...
    People with hi end rigs cant get the game to work on a good fps,heck i even saw a guy with a titan who has 20 fps on campaign,while others with potato powered pc can rut it without problems.
    So yes,the game is bad and will need 3months of patching at least
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

I wasn't so happy with it initially, having some of the known performance and texture issues (windowed mode helped a lot), the general gameplay has changed a lot from what I was used to with Empire/Shogun II and Rome II wasn't as fun as I expected (Bugs not helping).

However, with continuing on playing through and trying to conquer more lands I am really starting to enjoy it and the improvements are really starting to stand out. Once the issues are patched out (performance, capture points on field battles, weird AI etc) it should really shine brightly.

The game in its current state is broken,look it all around reddit,youtube,steam,offical forum,everywhere people are complaining about low fps,battle and camp lag,fast battles etc etc...
    People with hi end rigs cant get the game to work on a good fps,heck i even saw a guy with a titan who has 20 fps on campaign,while others with potato powered pc can rut it without problems.
    So yes,the game is bad and will need 3months of patching at least
    ah yes ... hyperbole ...

-- The Dude

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

The only thing the game needs are a multiple turn/ year mod, some small fixes to morale/ attack damage so the battles last longer, improved turn times, maybe a patch or two to fix the AI and then the game will be just as good as all the others. Seeing how this is most modable game they've made so far (MOST, not EASIEST) I do think this could become the best game of the series.

5 hours into the game and I really enjoy it... But jesus ing christ the amount of gamebreaking bugs is insane and must be the worst I've ever seen in a game. Right now I can't even play because one of the factions won't end its turn.

When they optimize the game (especially the campaign map of all things) and fix the obvious bugs, this will be the first game since MTW2 that I've actually enjoyed.
    Last edited by Norge; September 06, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Foederatus

Actually I think the campaign is the best one so far, no annoying single units running around everywhere, no retarded ful lstack armies just hanging out doing nothing.
    my enemies seem to work together against me, I witnessed a 2/3 og a stack army marching against my undefended city, I then force march to it and manage to reinforce. AI then decided to back off and comes back later with a stronger army and another factions army as backup, and I lose the battle.

I never tried anything like that in earlier total wars, I agree the battles have som trouble but I don't have many problems with the AI, its as you say just very fast, but at least I see myself actually using skirmishers now, I never used them in any other total war game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast