Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Lines of Battle: General Discussion

Default Re: Lines of Battle: Rome II - A Tactical Gameplay Modification

Are you guys testing the beta version Gunny has or are you using the release version?
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Patch 3 completely breaks all good balance Gunny reached with his mod (at least the official release).
    Can we have a beta to test current changes by Gunny ?
    I've made a lot of attempts (with various mods) and now the best BAI seems Vanilla + SpecialAbilitiesBeGoneV3.pack + NoMoralModV1.pack..
    It seems that removing morale helps a lot (i would prefer to keep it, but i made some test without it, and the unit behaviour was much better) ...
    Maybe CA BAI goes in complete confusion (changing continously unit front) in the attempt to hit units about to break (low morale) ?

I also noticed (adding halfmelee.pack to previous setup) that some strange behaviour appear again (but less than with morale on).. probably some units disengage (with lots of men killed in the process) to use their charge bonus, now more important after melee 50% cut.
    I hope that all these tests could be useful to go in the right direction.. It's really disappointing that this game is so bugged, because it seems to have a lot of potential.
    Anyway LinesOfBattle + Patch2 (the best BAI in my opinion compared to many other mods) seemed better than current patch + vanilla.. But Vanilla (patch 3) alone is much better than previous versions, where unmodded it was really ridicolous.

Have you solved the issue where enemy armies dont use pikemen correctly? The other battle mods seemed to have rectified this problem from the screenshots I've seen. Its the one thing letting me down atm because I'm in a civil war as Macedonia atm and it doesnt feel like it.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Ahiga, I just tested that out and it doesn't work.

Damn that's annoying. I guess we could somehow prevent them from charging but that seems crazy to me.

I did a test of them with pike wall on. It works animation wise except when they run (That can be fixed) but the weird thing is that in battle they end up trying to loop around the enemy in a weird way.

I'll look into it further. I think your approach'll work, though what concerns me about it is I doubt the AI will use it and it'll make hoplites rather unattractive as a unit. I'm thinking to just raise the aspis defense and charge but have low attack. Maybe low HP too?

Content Emeritus

I raised up the hoplite shield a little (3 points). Maybe setting them up with the shield wall rather than the phalanx wall? That ability stays when in combat.

Anyway, while that is looked into, here is the current release candidate build. http://ge.tt/42exhws/v/0

Hi Gunny,

just wondering, what if somehow when in "phalanx formation" the unit actually copies the mechanics and animations fo the pikes phalanx which seems to hold on and look properly in battle.. is this possible? If yes, then we would have Hoplites being able to fight either in a solid formation and when the formation button is unchecked then they could move on to solo fighting (pretty much what they currently do). Also they would hold their spears in a more realistic way imho

Furthermore, is it possible to alter the spacings of the phalanx units to fight more "shoulder-to-shoulder" so as each one hoplite partially projects his Hoplon in front of the guy to his left and then their spears could be presented as "resting" on top of the 'V's" which are formed by the interlocking hoplons or they could protrude from the lowere space.. just an idea to make it a little better.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but starting a new campaign with this mod has all the starting armies at vanilla unit sizes. I essentially have to disband every unit and recruit another in its place to benefit from the doubled unit size.

this is on a new campaign as Sparta btw. This is especially bad because all of Spartas generals are in royal Spartan hoplite units, so they will forever be at a "half-strength" until they die and can be replaced with a new general or something

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but starting a new campaign with this mod has all the starting armies at vanilla unit sizes. I essentially have to disband every unit and recruit another in its place to benefit from the doubled unit size.

this is on a new campaign as Sparta btw. This is especially bad because all of Spartas generals are in royal Spartan hoplite units, so they will forever be at a "half-strength" until they die and can be replaced with a new general or something

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

some days ago, using lines of battle mod on very hard custom battle

Content Emeritus

I know monkey, I will eventually need to edit the starting armies, but that will come after this update, when I begin work on the campaign.

I think there is an issue with morale in this mod.
    Basically after I kill 80% or so of the enemy army, the remaining 20% rout immediately even at full forces :/

Content Emeritus

Yea that's not an issue, peasant slingers aren't going to want to stick around after watching 80% of their army gets slaughtered. He that flees and runs away, lives to fight another day.

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

I have just tried out your latest build of this mod, and I literally had to stop playing for a while just to
    praise it! I love it! It makes the battles drwan out and not as chaotic as they were before. I used
    Radious' mod before, and it's good and all, but your battle-tweaks... AWESOME! I just had a 50+ minute battle
    as Athenai against Epirus (VH). I don't know how well this is balanced when dealing with sword-based armies,
    but as a phalanx based battle-mod... perfect. I have yet to fight a battle against a sword-wielding army though,
    but this far... I'm impressed. Very well done, sir.

And as for the broken phalanx formations... it's easy to work around it. As the troops break phalanx formation
    to charge... just press the "forward" key instead, and they'll move slowly and attack in phalanx formation
    as they advance anyway. But I guess people have figured that one out by now.

Also the enemy tries to actually counter a wall of spears & shields by moving around it, or send swordsmen
    against it, rather than being retarded and throw in their skirmishers against it. Although I guess this has
    more to do with the CA patches, but still... it's nice to see that things go hand-in-hand sometimes.

As I love the greek phalanx-style fighting, I hadn't planned to play any aother campaign than a greek or
    greek-inspired faction (Illyria etc.) but I might just give that a shot as well just for the sheer challenge!

Keep working on this. It is, by far, the best battle-mod thus far for Rome II.

Cudos from a recent fan. I will definately tip my less impressed friends of this mod.

EDIT: Sorry about the weird formulation, but I wrote everything down in Notepad before posting twcenter has been a bit bit weird as of late, so I didn't want to risk to re-type everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodY View Post
    I have just tried out your latest build of this mod, and I literally had to stop playing for a while just to
    praise it! I love it! It makes the battles drwan out and not as chaotic as they were before. I used
    Radious' mod before, and it's good and all, but your battle-tweaks... AWESOME! I just had a 50+ minute battle
    as Athenai against Epirus (VH). I don't know how well this is balanced when dealing with sword-based armies,
    but as a phalanx based battle-mod... perfect. I have yet to fight a battle against a sword-wielding army though,
    but this far... I'm impressed. Very well done, sir.

And as for the broken phalanx formations... it's easy to work around it. As the troops break phalanx formation
    to charge... just press the "forward" key instead, and they'll move slowly and attack in phalanx formation
    as they advance anyway. But I guess people have figured that one out by now.

Also the enemy tries to actually counter a wall of spears & shields by moving around it, or send swordsmen
    against it, rather than being retarded and throw in their skirmishers against it. Although I guess this has
    more to do with the CA patches, but still... it's nice to see that things go hand-in-hand sometimes.

As I love the greek phalanx-style fighting, I hadn't planned to play any aother campaign than a greek or
    greek-inspired faction (Illyria etc.) but I might just give that a shot as well just for the sheer challenge!

Keep working on this. It is, by far, the best battle-mod thus far for Rome II.

Cudos from a recent fan. I will definately tip my less impressed friends of this mod.

EDIT: Sorry about the weird formulation, but I wrote everything down in Notepad before posting twcenter has been a bit bit weird as of late, so I didn't want to risk to re-type everything.

I agree! This is by far the best mod for Total War: Rome 2 yet. I tried Radious' mod once again last night, and while he has some good changes, this utterly destroys his mod, with no offense meant for Radious ofcourse.

Gunny, I hope you keep improving this mod, as this is what makes my game playable, and more than that even.

Also, any chance new formations can be added? Such as mods did for previous TWs? The AI for some reason deploys in a huge straight line with no second lines or anything, and it usually causes a chaotic overstreched battle, especially when more than 20 units are involved.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

big, very big embarassing lack of formation in this game. I was expecting some basic formation for the main cultures/faction, instead of a couple of generic ones useful for many generic historical periods. It would be a great effort

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Is it this mod that makes units fell as though it's a good idea to spontaneously spin around 270 degrees rather than hold a battle line? I don't remember it happening so much using the Radious mod.

Make sure you are running the mod correctly Julio.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    Is it this mod that makes units fell as though it's a good idea to spontaneously spin around 270 degrees rather than hold a battle line? I don't remember it happening so much using the Radious mod.
    Radious' mod prolongs battles, but to me, I get the same blobbing from vanilla, just a little longer. I really hope Radious keeps making his mods, I am not against that, but I believe Gunny has got it much better. And as Aethyr said, make sure you are running the mod correctly, because I've gotten the best experience out of Rome II from this mod.