Thread: Lines of Battle: General Discussion

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Lines of Battle: General Discussion

Lines of Battle: Rome 2
    A tactical game play modification for Rome II: Total War

Download and installation:
    Visit the Download thread HERE

Recommended Mods, Mods that are compatible and fun to use with Lines of Battle. Note: Not guaranteed to be compatible with each other:

-Iberian Unit Pack
    -Pdguru's Mod
    -Splenyi's Unit Names
    -Stronger Walls
    -Recolored Uniforms
    -Celtis Galliae
    -Prof's Collection
    -Special Abilities Begone!
    -Traits, Talents and Toadies!
    -2 Turns Per Year
    -BullGod Unit Icons
    - Many others. These are just ones that have been tested and I have seen to work with the mod. If there is something here that becomes incompatible, or one that is compatible you think everyone should know about, let me know.

Team:

'Gunny - Team Lead, Gameplay Design.
    Ahiga - Carthaginian, Hellenic, and Eastern Faction design.
    Heathen Storm - Barbarian Faction design.

Thanks to:
    Mitch, Daniu, and all the others for the PFM
    Mitch again for helping me test this and giving me guidance
    Trapper Hat for helping test and spot some bugs.
    Splenyi for his feedback.
    Uzo70 for the banner
    Josst for his patience and assistance.

There it is, feedback is appreciated.

Troubleshooting:
    Mod won't work? Are you using 16 other mods? Try the mod by itself.

Still having issues? Post in the thread.

Known issues:
    Naval battles have some wonky-ness to them
    People have reported lack of horses with the large pack, LET ME KNOW if you have this issue, I can't reproduce it.
    Larger units don't apply to starting units in the campaign. New units recruited will be good though.

This mod is NOT compatible with other battle game-play changing mods. However, campaign changing mods should still be compatible.

A long belated edit: We merged in with DeI about a year and a half ago. Much of the work we have shown was incorporated there, and many of the core battle edits were incorporated into DeI.
    Last edited by 'Gunny; May 24, 2016 at 01:54 PM.

Default Re: [WIP]Lines of Battle: Rome 2

I look forward to it! Those are all major changes I'd like to see. A question: is there anything to be done about the unit blobbing?

Currently I have no reason to not charge four units of legionnaires at the front facing of one other unit since they all seem to stack on each other. Makes maneuvering around the battlefield a pointless exercise when there's infinite real estate for bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    The completely unanticipated squeal to my Line of Battle: Shogun 2 mod that never got updated past ROTS, and Josst's wonderful mod for Napoleon: Total War, Line of Battle: Rome 2 is in the works! This is not intended to be a complete overhaul, but rather just to expand on Rome 2 to make it a more enjoyable game.

Planned Features:

-Get rid of super-fast units that don't get tired after running around the map that seem to only be suited for one song.
    -Make melee last longer than 5 minutes, especially when good units are fighting one another, hopefully I can hit a sweet spot between too long and too short.
    -Make ranged units less sniper-y
    -As many factions playable as possible.
    -Various and assorted balance and game fixes to make the game more enjoyable from my perspective.

Possibly:
    Some UI changes. I'm not a fan of the unit cards, so over time I will attempt to remake them in the older style. Will likely be an optional add-on if I go through with it.

I'll also be taking a look at the capture point types in the db to see if I can do anything with field battle capture points.
    Do you happen to know how moddable R2's AI is? I think flag rushing (and subsequent run-by massacring) is the biggest problem in sieges. The AI simply pushes thru instead of trying to fight your men first. I actually haven't had a large field battle (how could they have let this out like this?? ugh), does the AI form a line okay?

Content Emeritus

I do not, I haven't talked to Josst since it released, but he should be able to shine some light on that. And on top of that, what I've looked at so far is what I've been able to see via extracting with PFM and opening it up with Notepad ++

Hopefully once PFM gets updated nicely (especially now that we have the db stuff) I can look into it more. I'm looking at trying to get the basic stuff out this weekend, and see where we can go from there.

+1 for getting rid of the blobs! Looking forward to trying your mod when it's released

I have a request - can you consider making archers more powerful compared to slingers and skirmishers? They more or less have the same range and slingers can compete with archers. It doesn't make sense to me. Either increase the range of archers or decrease the range of skirmishers.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Good luck mate You've got a long road ahead of you.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Awesome I look forward to it, any plans for diplomacy tweaks and overpowered transport ships?

Content Emeritus

Right now I'm focusing on battles, so campaign stuff is lowest priority at the moment. As for archers, Yes, I will be looking into balancing those units a bit better. At the moment I am considering increasing the range and lowering accuracy of archers, so it is essentially just volleys, rather than sniping. We'll see though, I'll be formally starting work on it tomorrow, following the patch.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds great, altough eventually i start play bigger mods such as Rome 2: Total Realism or Roma 2:Imperium Aguilarium (or something), i think i finish my first campaign with your mod.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    Sounds great, altough eventually i start play bigger mods such as Rome 2: Total Realism or Roma 2:Imperium Aguilarium (or something), i think i finish my first campaign with your mod.
    Both those mods aren't out yet, so you can't really say they're going to be big mods, because we don't know. R2TR will probably be a big overhaul (maybe not initially, but it will evolve into one, like the original). I have no idea what Imperium Aquilarum's plans are, but time will tell.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; September 06, 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Something to bare in mind is that the RTR guys aren't on their home turf anymore, none of them have ever even modded Warscape. So they'll have a lot of contention from the pro's of Warscape who've accumulated 3 or 4 years of experience.

You aren't in the grassy plains of text files anymore, your in the cold harsh mountains of binary files. xD
    Last edited by .Mitch.; September 06, 2013 at 04:06 AM.

yes, it'll be interesting to see how both those sides of the team get stuff done. But I fear we are off topic, and I don't want to do this to Gunny

Content Emeritus

I got a battle to last 17 minutes, so I'd say some progress has been made

Very nice at the moment we're luck to get a 5 minute battle. Looking forward to do some battles with this

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Lines of Battle: Rome 2

Making Progress.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By the way, I heard that the "Realism Mode" checkbox removes the checkpoints. I've not verified it myself as my PC is too weak to run Rome 2, but I was just wondering if that info would be of any use to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    By the way, I heard that the "Realism Mode" checkbox removes the checkpoints. I've not verified it myself as my PC is too weak to run Rome 2, but I was just wondering if that info would be of any use to you.
    False, I always play legendary (which has this on by default), and I still have to put up with it.

Content Emeritus

Halved all unit attack values, fiddles some more with morale, testing out spread on archers, and made fatigue a bigger factor (comes quicker, hurts more).

Have you played with the battle entity radius yet, to try and reduce the bloby-ness of melee?

Good idea about the fatigue too, I can run my troops across the map and hit the enemy before even getting a little tired (1km!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE)

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast