Thread: What you don't understand

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Default What you don't understand

Shogun 2 had a demo released in feburary and then the game wasn't released until march. So from whatever data/feedback they got from the demo made Shogun 2 a much better release than lets say empire.

However Rome 2 didn't have this, and I can't understand why, perhaps money was tight, but then they had stated they've got the largest amount of funds ever to be put into a total war game.

Anyway onto my point, you see the release of the game is a sorta beta, it hasn't been widely tested and so as a result of this a lot of the glitches, bugs has arrived. But a lot of the points that are being pushed on are within the core of the game, for example the lack of the fire at will button for melee infantry who have throw able weapons.

So the game which has been stated will have weekly patchs, so instead of slagging it off and giving it poorer results is to just give it at least a month.

So what if it has the same release as empire, in the end it turned out good.

Patience is what everyone needs.

Default Re: What you don't understand

+ rep, nice to see a voice of reason on the forums.

What i dont understand is why Rome 2 is worse than Shogun 2.

You're right about fixing bugs of course- they're not a problem here, I'm sure they WILL be handled quite soon. Real problem here are things that replaced old features, which most likely won't be
    "fixed" as they're no bugs. So maybe in three months we will be able to play perfectly stable game with incredible graphics, but battles will still take 5 minutes and capital cities will be conquered in one turn.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

well we can only speculate and predict, but like I was saying about the problems within the core of the game, for example the stupid flags in open field battles most likely wont be removed for the reason that it's in the core of the game.

All in all CA have gone down the arcade mode and it's just ruined it, the aspect and atmosphere of the games for example men to men hand combat doesn't at all in any way fit in the aspects of an arcade game, capture this flag in 50secs to win the battle or city, it so pointless and it's such a let down.

The problem of the game is not its bugs or imbalanced battles, the problem is that they either dumbed down many mechanics or just removed them.

When I played the Shogun 2 demo, it scaled down my graphics to a level worse than the first Rome.

When the game was released it worked properly.

That's one of the reasons why I still have faith in CA. This is the first time, the game has been available to the public and now the problems start to come up.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Perhaps CA are being told by SEGA to rush the release so that they can start concentrating on conversions for the next generation of consoles?

The bugs don't matter. As TW gamers, we should expect that. Its game features that are what ruin it. From no effective guard mode , to armies forming magnificent and free fleets by stepping onto the ocean, to lack of walls, to the downgraded tech tree, army limits, pointless family wars for most factions, no family tree, overly simplified character upgrades that don't show you later upgrades, the unusual provincial happiness system.

These aren't things that can just be patched are they? If so, then I'd love to see it. Maybe give an option for classic style TW that brings these features back. They improved very little beyond returning some features and improving appearance.

Double Post
    Last edited by Strattios; September 05, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Double Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't worry about all the hating on the forums, even the most angry people here will wait.

It's not only the bugs and optimization issues a lot of people are unhappy about. Like many others before me stated, they removed a lot of interesting features which made the campaign interesting.

This was also done with Aliens: Colonial Marines, published by Sega. It was looking good, the fans seem happy of what they were seeing, the hype, ect. Once the game was released, it removed a lot of critical features, it was lackluster from what was previewed earlier. Guess what, it's been in the 4$ bin on Steam and countless other retailers, just a while later after release.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

What I dont understand is, why this engine used for battles is so strange for me. No bright shining like MTW 2, but everything is so dark. It started with Empire. And thats not the only problem with this engine. When I want zoom in, camera just moves up somewhere and I am looking on a horizont and not on my soldiers. Thi battle engine sucks on my opinion.
    Last edited by SirPeacemaker; September 05, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

In the same period of time they would have released a demo, they were taking holidays to Rome and playing with Dogs while unboxing. The bottom line is they didn't want to push back the release date when there is a precedent these days in the industry that proves we will still buy games at launch and they can fix them later.

Also, if being extremely cynical, you could say they knew there were problems so didn't release the demo as it might make people cancel pre-orders. Obviously they were more confident with Shogun II.

I mean, there were images released by CA way back near announcement that showed Greek Hoplite units in a phalanx, and now not only does the game look worse (almost the same as Rome I with some mods) but the phalanx doesn't even look like a phalanx.