Thread: Did hitpoints get implemented in the absolute worst way possible?

Default Did hitpoints get implemented in the absolute worst way possible?

A surprisingly common thought process that occurs during battles:

"Ok, now they're clearly shooting, eh, some sort of flashy missiles at my guys. But I don't seem to have lost anyone after a couple of volleys so I guess my armor and shields are pretty good and those projectiles aren't really much to worry about."

*30 seconds later*

"WTF, why did half of my heavy infantrymen suddenly die!"

Default Re: Did hitpoints get implemented in the absolute worst way possible?

It's even worse with elephants. They charge into a unit of medium tier infantry from the flanks and they're kicking butt when suddenly they all die in a matter of moments.

I tested one Unit of fully upgraded Elephants vs a unit of unupgraded Triarii, the elephants got raped. THis is . Same for Cataphracts and Egyptian Swordsmen, I fully upgraded the cataphracts and they lost 60 men before killing the unit.

So much for unit balance. CA.

I read in one of the other topics that shields apparently aren't really shields anymore. Just a hitpoint boost. I imagine it's the same for armor.

Makes me wonder if modders can fix something like that or not.
    The above post is in a pre-alpha state and does not nessecarily reflect the final writings of the poster. As such the poster cannot be held responsible for any statements made in this post.

bump/ anyone have any info on this

Does anyone know how the new HP system works? I've seen ppl elude to knowing how it works in several other threads without actually explaining it. I've looked through 13 pages of drivel without finding an answer. If anyone knows, plz share.

Foederatus

my javelins kills punic rebels elephants in a matter of seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post
    I read in one of the other topics that shields apparently aren't really shields anymore. Just a hitpoint boost. I imagine it's the same for armor.

I would imagine it's not. Simply do to the fact that animations for shield blocking would have to also be implemented and the whole process re-written.

Quote Originally Posted by Micromoron View Post
    I tested one Unit of fully upgraded Elephants vs a unit of unupgraded Triarii, the elephants got raped. THis is . Same for Cataphracts and Egyptian Swordsmen, I fully upgraded the cataphracts and they lost 60 men before killing the unit.

So much for unit balance. CA.
    I think all of the Roman infantry need balancing, they are too strong. 4 cohorts of regular legionaries beat an army of 2300 Carthaginians who had Elephants. Only 1 cohort took serious casualties!

It's supposedly to be calculated something like this:
    A soldier has a HP just like a unit has a HP bar.

A soldier has HP, Armor, Melee defence and a shield.
    Melee attack is the possibility to inflict a hit, Melee defence reduces that chance. Melee damage is how much HP is taken away if a hit is successful.

Melee damage goes against Armor depending on the damage type and strength it goes through armor and takes away the soldiers HP.

A shield adds to melee defense and armor.
    With Total war since original Shogun, made my life better!
    My videos about Total War on YouTube :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/perafilozof

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by perablenta View Post
    It's supposedly to be calculated something like this:
    A soldier has a HP just like a unit has a HP bar.

A soldier has HP, Armor, Melee defence and a shield.
    Melee attack is the possibility to inflict a hit, Melee defence reduces that chance. Melee damage is how much HP is taken away if a hit is successful.

Melee damage goes against Armor depending on the damage type and strength it goes through armor and takes away the soldiers HP.

A shield adds to melee defense and armor.
    So shields don't have a yes/no chance to simply stop the arrow/javelin, they just add to your overall chance to stop the damage ?

Well, this explains why they didn't care about testudo - to them, the positioning of the shields ( eg. big gaps, sides not covered ) is irrelevant - it's enough that the unit HAS a shield.

Horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post

I would imagine it's not. Simply do to the fact that animations for shield blocking would have to also be implemented and the whole process re-written.

Quote Originally Posted by perablenta View Post
    It's supposedly to be calculated something like this: A soldier has a HP just like a unit has a HP bar. A soldier has HP, Armor, Melee defence and a shield. Melee attack is the possibility to inflict a hit, Melee defence reduces that chance. Melee damage is how much HP is taken away if a hit is successful. Melee damage goes against Armor depending on the damage type and strength it goes through armor and takes away the soldiers HP. A shield adds to melee defense and armor.
    And presumably missile weapons ignore all that, always inflicting attack minus armor? :\