Thread: Rome2-TW - what about a Justinian mod based on it ?

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Rome2-TW - what about a Justinian mod based on it ?

Hi all,

during the last 2 weeks we carried out some internal brainstorming in our developer Forum about the closer future regarding AoD2 and the usage of the new Rome2-engine.

Considering the fact that the graphic is phantastic plus the improved AI it would make sense to start also a modification based on Rome2, however, as some of you probably know there are several issues in Rome2 which are quite difficult for us. The missing family-tree, the adjusted new building managment and several other items makes it difficult to imagine how a late antiquity modification can work with it.

please see also here a good review about Rome 2 (see post 23)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13206645

Therefore we have decided to continue AoD2 based on the engine of RTW/BI.

Our new vegetation, the new unit-models, the new campaign map, new portraits, a new building managment, new music and 3D building models etc - all this gives you the feeling to play a new game. Insofar it makes sense to continue our project here.
    This case was discussed with the entire team and the result is based on a broad agreement of our team-members.

Although Rome2 is released I hope that the community is still supporting projects based upon older engines.

Best regards
    Your AoD2 - Team

Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; September 05, 2013 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Rome2-TW - what about a Justinian mod based on it ?

Yea the graphics for rtw 2 are excellent and the custom battles are fun to play but i find it annoying that the public are never happy with you. I lower the tax rate, expand the city as much as I can and build new buildings sometimes at the expense of my army but they still aren't happy. Also, I do not prefer the artistic unit cards. Apart from that the game is great. P.S. Nice unit.
    Last edited by romano britones; September 07, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Throwing away all your existing work on the Rome1-engine would be a waste. It is a good decision continuing the work on the older engine. At least when much work has been done so far - and you are not in the planning stage anymore.

Plus it will be a long way and probably much more complex to create a Total Conversation Mod on Rome2 (if even possible at all). Something you should only think about after finishing AoD2, but not before. Don't know how big your team is, but when loosing core members with modding-experience only on the Rome/M2:TW-engine your whole team might collapse when moving to an engine many have no experience at all.

And the new era not featured in any other mods will give you a somewhat stable fan-base amongst players familiar with Rome1-mods. Although it gets smaller with each year due to 'natural' reasons (people still playing RTW quiting the series and others only playing the new games).
    Last edited by Xerrop; September 08, 2013 at 03:39 AM.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Finish AoD2 for the RTW1 engine.

After doing this you may start a new project with using RTW2 engine.
    Anything else is, imho, a waste of your team`s efforts so far have been done.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Strongly agree with everything alredy said. Throwing away all your work alredy done on AoD2 will be an enormous waste.

Good luck and keep on the great work!

STICK WITH RTW!!

Don't want this mod to be dead.

The game is simply not suited for a total conversion for Late Antiquity, I'd even prefer Medieval 2 if you decide to move. The game (Rome 2) requires major fleshing out and honestly reminds me of Empire. (Which I bought patched up with all dlc and it gives me nightmares)

About the graphics: It reminds me of RS2, aesthetics wise Napoleon or Shogun 2 are "better". For mods things like Radious' are more suited to that game, not total conversions of the likes of RTW and M2TW.

Game is ok for a TW with mods (I tried it out for quite a while from a friend) but not something that I'd hail as some sort of messiah like Shogun 2. (Best vanilla TW I've played)

One of my main complaints is the over streamlining of combat and campaign. (Province system is not a plus guys...) Heck many cosmetics or features got cut out. You don't even get loose formation now...

But campaign is highly streamlined, mark my words on that.
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; September 17, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
    炸鸡

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great decision about AoD2 development on RTW engine! I wish good luck for the team a nd I hope to try this excellent mod soon

To Pompeius, its a great idea, but not doable as RII is strongly locked to modding
    Though I hope you could start something on MTW2

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Well done for your decision, stick with RTW and never move! Of course you can do it but the majority of players now prefer RTW and not everyone can run well the newest games.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Dear gents,

sorry for the late reply - but private business keeps me away from modding at the moment. I hope that things become more settled in the next few weeks. But anyway.

Of course we keep our AoD2-project based on the old RTW/BI engine. That's no question anymore.

We had a lively discussion in our internal forum - but as a result I may say that all team-members have endorsed to continue the project based on RTW/BI.
    Of course it would make entirely sense to start the work with a new modern engine (also M2TW is meanwhile old) - but after seeing the result of Rome2 it is my personal opinion that a full conversion is more than difficult. Furthermore I miss the soul and the spirit in Rome2 - something I've felt before when playing M1TW, M2TW, Rome1 and Barbarian Invasion. Previously there was a high degree of identification with certain officers. One lived with these characters and built and conquered an empire together with this folks. This feeling is gone - at least for me.
    This is very sad. Especially since the graphics of Rome2 is probably the best I've ever seen for a strategy game.
    But Rome2 is probably the best example to demonstrate that "graphic" is not the most important.

Last but not least I must say that Rome2 is a phantastic game - but it doesn't match my taste to 100%. That what I personally don't like is probably for others an amazing new feature.

Best regards
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; October 17, 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I personally believe that in the long term the tools will become available to substantially mod the new engine and with your vast amounts of knowledge that you've researched Pompeius, a move to new engine could be possible-eventually. As I said your vast knowledge, single handedly researching for this mod and writing books collaborating with the many talented warscape modders who are working wonders already- without the promised tools- you could make a huge landmark late antique/early medieval mod.
    I personally hope to see such a mod in the future, the Rome II world needs the likes of yourself, RTR, SAI & RO etc
    ΧΑΙΡΕΤΙΣΜΟΙ και ο Θεός ευλογεί ΕΡΓΑΣΙΑΣ ΣΑΣ