Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: PFM - Please refer to thread in Attila forum now

Default Re: PFM 3.0.3 - Added option to have csv replace data

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    There seems to be a corrupt pack file in your game data folder.
    Remove all non-CA packs one by one to find out which one it is and you should be good to go.

I'll put in some code in the PFM to handle this more gracefully in the future.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Thank you, I will try and report here if it has worked.

Edit: .....So it has worked, thank you again.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

I do not have a picture, but I'm getting an error when trying to save (like one of the old versions).

"Will only save MOD and non-CS MOVIE files with current settings"

What settings? Why is this message back? And, why can't I extract all pack files with 3.0.3 a SECOND time? I did it once, but after that the option disappeared. *scratches head*

I spent 3 hours editing the db portion, and was perplexed to see I couldn't save the changes due to an non-referenced setting. Is there something I can do to save properly, or did I just waste my time? It happens...but still.

Since the site is running very slow right now, I did not look for threads and messages that may have already addressed this particular problem. If this has already been beaten to death, I apologize. May i ask someone to do it again? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but for some reason, every once in a while, every entry in a table will randomly be deleted. The table will still be there, but there isn't anything in it...

Quote Originally Posted by mwonch View Post
    I do not have a picture, but I'm getting an error when trying to save (like one of the old versions).

"Will only save MOD and non-CS MOVIE files with current settings"
    What settings?
    please read this to help you understand why this message is included:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?620537
    And the the settings to not get the warning although it is a bad idea to work on the CA packs directly in the Options menu... did you even look around the PFM at all?

Why is this message back? And, why can't I extract all pack files with 3.0.3 a SECOND time? I did it once, but after that the option disappeared. *scratches head*
    I'm not even sure what you're trying to do. You should be able to extract files from a pack as often as you want (though I don't know why you would need to more than once).
    If a menu item does disappear after something you did, please post the steps to make it.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

My question... I have data and data rome 2 extrahiert. Is all ok. And i can edit what i will ok! i have all edits in my Game! Ok. But i will my mod in .pack file uploaden. Unpack is no prob, but i cant pack my mod for a easyer handling for Users.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MM5 View Post
    My question... I have data and data rome 2 extrahiert. Is all ok. And i can edit what i will ok! i have all edits in my Game! Ok. But i will my mod in .pack file uploaden. Unpack is no prob, but i cant pack my mod for a easyer handling for Users.
    My english is very bad... i will say another... I can pack... The Mainquestion is, can users the mod (in pack file) only with Mod Manager use? I have read in Tutorial for PFM i Need a "Userscipt" to load the mod... But i can in my Game all use. I dont Need a Modmanger or a Packfile. My datas are extract... But when i will upload my Mod i will/need a pack file. I have creat a structure and the userscript! And now? What i must upload? And how become another users functionally in ther Game?

Hi, daniu,first of all thank you for your tool. If it is possible, few questions and suggestions: Questions: Do all function not work open an external editor? I can open the file just once external editor after starting the program, the repeated attempts to open an external editor do not work Suggestions: 1. Maybe do a search on the tree of files, not just on an open file. Every time they look for files in the file list in advance of exporting 2. Would be excellent if you do the localization file for your editor, people could make your editor interface translations into any language of the world 3. Can I add some hotkeys for example for the command "Open as text" Thanks in advance for your answers. Sorry for my bad english)

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [TOOL] PFM 3.0 beta

When I open the data_rome2.pack and try to delete the fxc folder, the program just stalls. Is it me or has anyone else encountered this? I should probably just extract the folder I need for now. I know sometimes those fxc files are pain the arse, something usually to do with character limits. I don't know.

I also get a lot of issues trying to open Shogun 2 files.
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; September 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    please read this to help you understand why this message is included:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?620537
    And the the settings to not get the warning although it is a bad idea to work on the CA packs directly in the Options menu... did you even look around the PFM at all?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to do. You should be able to extract files from a pack as often as you want (though I don't know why you would need to more than once).
    If a menu item does disappear after something you did, please post the steps to make it.
    I do not know how to use this tool, apparently. And, no sir, it is not obvious to me. Please be patient with me, that's all i ask. Yes, I did look around this program, but without previous experience with anything like this, it's kinda Greek to me right now. I'm used to directly editing text files and making mods from those. This? Much more difficult for a gamer who does not also code (at least sometimes). I apologize if I seem dumb to you, but gimme time. With proper guidance, I too will be able to use this like the ones who made it or have used something similar before. LOL

Ok, seriously, now. I did solve the save problem. The tool starts with the files read only. To save, turn it off. I can now edit files as usual.

However, the game seems to only read the file as if it has never been changed. I am obviously missing a step, because the one hugely popular mod team for this game (so far) accomplished it quite well!

What exactly is the proper procedure for edits to actually be used?

All I want to do is slightly increase the number of armies and agents with each level of Fame. The amounts given are just unrealistically low. I know I'm not alone in that.

I finally figured out how to edit AND save without seeming incident. After saving a copy of the edited pack file, I then edit and save the original in place. I open the file again to ensure the changes I made are kept. They were, so I fired up the game.

No difference. I tried to optimize, but that only deleted a bunch of entries, including the one I needed to remain. So...that's not it. I tried other changes KNOWN to us here from these forums...still no dice. I must be doing something wrong.

Right now, I have no way to know, so I ask you all here. What exactly is the proper procedure for saving and using the changed files? I'm at a total loss.

@daniu

When you next speak to Jack, could you ask him if it is possible to 'rem'-out lines to completely change a building's, or other, effects? Like now, if a building gives -1 to food if you change that bonus effect to something else it would just become another bonus. All you can do is set the value to 0, and then it shows -0 on the description. Aesthetic, yes, but it would be really nice with a way to just remove a bonus without a trace.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Daniu, Open External and Open as text are only working once per instance of PFM in the current version.
    I do not know how to use this tool, apparently. And, no sir, it is not obvious to me. Please be patient with me, that's all i ask. Yes, I did look around this program, but without previous experience with anything like this, it's kinda Greek to me right now. I'm used to directly editing text files and making mods from those. This? Much more difficult for a gamer who does not also code (at least sometimes). I apologize if I seem dumb to you, but gimme time. With proper guidance, I too will be able to use this like the ones who made it or have used something similar before. LOL

Ok, seriously, now. I did solve the save problem. The tool starts with the files read only. To save, turn it off. I can now edit files as usual.

However, the game seems to only read the file as if it has never been changed. I am obviously missing a step, because the one hugely popular mod team for this game (so far) accomplished it quite well!

What exactly is the proper procedure for edits to actually be used?

All I want to do is slightly increase the number of armies and agents with each level of Fame. The amounts given are just unrealistically low. I know I'm not alone in that.

I finally figured out how to edit AND save without seeming incident. After saving a copy of the edited pack file, I then edit and save the original in place. I open the file again to ensure the changes I made are kept. They were, so I fired up the game.

No difference. I tried to optimize, but that only deleted a bunch of entries, including the one I needed to remain. So...that's not it. I tried other changes KNOWN to us here from these forums...still no dice. I must be doing something wrong.

Right now, I have no way to know, so I ask you all here. What exactly is the proper procedure for saving and using the changed files? I'm at a total loss.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Modding-Primer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyRndm
    I guess you're probably trying to modify an official pack. Don't do it, theres a reason PFM tells you that you shouldn't. When you want to make a new mod, the first thing you do is set up a new pack. This means that if you screw up and do something which breaks the game, all you have to do to fix it is uninstall your mod.

Step 1: Add a new personal mod in PFM
    File -> MyMods -> New. Enter the name and location that you want to store it. When it asks you to select data proceed to step 2
    When you have a mod selected under MyMods, extracted tables automatically locate themselves in the mod directory which makes extracting multiple tables much faster

Step 2: Extract the files you want.
    Open the official pack (probably data_rome2.pack) in PFM, and navigate to the file you want (I'll use data_rome2/db/kv_rules as an example). Right click -> extract -> extract selected. If you navigate to the folder you created for your mod, you will find a folder structure representing the location of the table in the pack (eg. <mod name>/db/kv_rules in my case) with a binary file inside cotaining the details of the table.

Step 3: Import the files into your mod
    File -> MyMods -> Select your mod
    Files -> Add -> File(s)
    Navigate to the binary files you extracted and add them. You can use the directory option to add a group of tables at once, but be careful to keep the structure the same and not accidentally add another level. Individual Files is safer

Step 4: Make your changes

Step 5: Install your mod
    PFM has a great feature where it can manage the user.script.txt entries and add your mod.pack to the Rome2 data folder for you.
    File -> MyMods -> Install ____ (depending on which of your mods you have selected)

There are two important steps to manually installing a mod.pack. Putting the pack in the correct location (the rome 2 data directory), and adding an entry to the user.script.txt to tell the game to load your changes.
    Last edited by crzyrndm; September 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

SWEET! Although it;s still kinda confusing to me, the above will definitely get me moving in the right direction. I did indeed do it very very wrong. Thank you!

Something is preventing the PFM from installing the mod. How do I do it manually?

If its not too much to make a suggestion... how about a find function, just so when you know what you are looking for you can zip right to it as long as you are in the correct table??
    If there is one, sorry i didnt find one... although it took me longer to try to find if there was a find function than it did to find the line i was looking for XD
    *Venienti Occurrite Morbo*
    Meet The Misfortune As It Comes
    -Latin Proverb-

"A house of judgment so divine,"
    "That we burn our brothers!"
    -Unearth - Hail the Shrine-

Something is preventing the PFM from installing the mod. How do I do it manually?
    Take your mod.pack and copy-paste it into the Rome 2 data directory (steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data)

Then go to: C:\Users\<YOUR USER>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts
    Make a new .txt file and call it user.script.txt. Make sure to save it with Unicode encoding (in Win 7, you select this next to the save button)

Inside the user.script, you make an entry to tell the game to load your mod.pack
    The entry format is: mod "modname.pack";

You will then see your changes ingame. If you dont see any changes, then you have likely made a mistake in what you edited
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

Quote Originally Posted by zowrath View Post
    Like now, if a building gives -1 to food if you change that bonus effect to something else it would just become another bonus. All you can do is set the value to 0, and then it shows -0 on the description. Aesthetic, yes, but it would be really nice with a way to just remove a bonus without a trace.
    I suppose this is one of the cases where you would want to add a file with the vanilla name (building_effects_junctions or whatever) and leave only the entries you want to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Daniu, Open External and Open as text are only working once per instance of PFM in the current version.
    I'm aware of the Open External editor issue, but Open as Text works fine for me... can you check again?
    Although I might have fixed it accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Killergold88 View Post
    If its not too much to make a suggestion... how about a find function, just so when you know what you are looking for you can zip right to it as long as you are in the correct table??
    If there is one, sorry i didnt find one... although it took me longer to try to find if there was a find function than it did to find the line i was looking for XD
    I did think of a find function that would look through all db files and open the one containing the string you entered...
    I'll think about a "find within table". I think you can do that with spreadsheets, so you can export to TSV and edit those.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

I can't get anything to open at all with the open as text (trying on the .lua scripts). Might be something on my end

RE: building bonus entries showing zeroes
    If your building still has a bonus that isn't to do with recruitment, you could possibly change the effect to the same as the bonus it has intentionally (and zero it) thus hiding it behind the actual bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    I can't get anything to open at all with the open as text (trying on the .lua scripts). Might be something on my end
    Wow that is weird: I just realized every single file in the script directory is filled with 0s in the patch2 data pack (you can see that if you open with DecodeTool). Extracting and using a text editor to open them isn't of much use either.
    I still have a copy of the original release data and all xmls and luas open fine there...
    Not much the PFM can do I'm afraid. I wonder if that was intended by CA.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Now you just made things wierder. What patch.pack's...

Must be something on my end with the text editor option though, because I can't open anything with the text option with a fresh PFM DL (not really an issue as external defaults to N++ anyway, well, if I could open things more than once that is )