Thread: R2:TW GEM - Graphic Enhancement Mod (obsolate)

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Default Re: R2:TW GEM - Graphic Enhancement Mod (Version 4.2)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCat View Post
    Yeah I turned Nvidia FXXA off, Film Grain off and turned Vibrance on at 0.15, now I'm in business. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    You should not turn of FXAA or your results will be far different from intended. Are you using Win8.1 or Win7?

Here by the way the difference of the two versions:

GEM for Win7 (on Steam and TWC under optional files section)

GEM for Win8.1 (not on Steam but on TWC under optional files section)

The gauss filter of the Win7 version makes that version look like having bit higher quality.

Windows 7 64bit. Oh ok, so you wanted a bit more softening on purpose, interesting, I'll turn it back on as you suggest. Thanks.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Windows 7 64bit. Oh ok, so you wanted a bit more softening on purpose, interesting, I'll turn it back on as you suggest. Thanks.
    For Win7 version FXAA is needed to enable GEM+gauss+grain. If you turn it off you only have gauss+grain.

Understood, although I really do like it better without the grain and the bit of vibrance added, not a ton just a bit more "pop".

I checked the settings section in the first post and it is a bit too aggressive for my system to keep up the solid fps, even though I have a 2600k@4.2 and a Titan. So I run it a bit more conservative on the Nvidia settings, and just shadows and particle effects lowered to Ultra in game, and I don't think I have the Vignette setting on, although I could try it out.

No AO, and AA: off (and in game, relying on FXAA) and AA Transparency: off (since using FXAA)

UPDATE: Tried Nvidia FXAA on in conjunction with GEM in game and yeah it does smooth things out more, but makes the text pretty blurry compared to it off, hmmm, we'll see if I can deal. Also, overall I'm not sure I'm loving it on the CM, on BM it seems like a lot of fun, but I think I might need more saturation on CM, especial for the blue colors, so I might be toggling it on/off as I play, a little annoying, we'll see maybe the CM will grow on me.
    Last edited by AstroCat; February 08, 2014 at 01:42 PM.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Lucifer...Did you do an update for windows 7 today or was the update primarily for windows 8 users?

Thanks

Report on 8.1 version:

In game everything looks good
    , thank you again for making it 8.1 compatible! Only thing I noticed it doesn't look as sharp as win8.0/7 version, but it's not a big deal.

I have trouble making screen-shoots. If I take them via Print Scr, the old trick of opening png in Photoshop and saving it to other format doesn't work. It still looks like this: http://imgur.com/bFGYlRS And if I take screen-shoot via Steam's overlay the look totally scrued, like this: http://imgur.com/BuJ4H8w
    Last edited by zekozeko; February 08, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by zekozeko View Post
    Report on 8.1 version:

In game everything looks good
    , thank you again for making it 8.1 compatible! Only thing I noticed it doesn't look as sharp as win8.0/7 version, but it's not a big deal.

I have trouble making screen-shoots. If I take them via Print Scr, the old trick of opening png in Photoshop and saving it to other format doesn't work. It still looks like this: http://imgur.com/bFGYlRS And if I take screen-shoot via Steam's overlay the look totally scrued, like this: http://imgur.com/BuJ4H8w
    I can reduce the blur next time but without its getting way to sharp (especially vegetation).
    I noticed the screenshot problem in the Win8.1 version but you can try to use fraps there to capture screens or any other overlay program. (different from the Win7 version where so far I only know DXtory that works).

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Lucifer...Did you do an update for windows 7 today or was the update primarily for windows 8 users?

Thanks
    Only updated the Win8.1 version to be most similar to the one I released yesterday.

So you are putting FXAA on in the Nvidia drivers and in the SweetFX_settings.txt? Does everyone do this? I guess no one minds the blurry text and washed out look of the UI?

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    I can reduce the blur next time but without its getting way to sharp (especially vegetation).
    I noticed the screenshot problem in the Win8.1 version but you can try to use fraps there to capture screens or any other overlay program. (different from the Win7 version where so far I only know DXtory that works).

Only updated the Win8.1 version to be most similar to the one I released yesterday.
    Blur is noticeable only on letters in comparison to vanilla and 4.1 which I have used on old Windows, so it's not a big problem. I will try Fraps, thanks.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

So you are putting FXAA on in the Nvidia drivers and in the SweetFX_settings.txt? Does everyone do this? I guess no one minds the blurry text and washed out look of the UI?
    Currently I have turned FXAA off in NVIDIA settings.

Currently I have turned FXAA off in NVIDIA settings.
    Good! That is how I was wanting to run it, if you have Nvidia FXAA on it layers on top of GEM and its gets way too blurry! FXAA in GEM on is fine, it's not much worse than vanilla with Nvidia FXAA. Thanks for the clarification.

After almost 2 hours of playing campaign and several battles in different regions I must correct myself and say ''everything is perfect'' There is no need for blur tweaking.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

UPDATE
    - added own eFX version for Win 8.1 users, you can find it from now on in the optional files section.
    - implemented and added gauss like filter to GEM-eFX-realistic shader with a little bit of grain

Enjoy
    Oh finally Gaussian!
    I used a custom efx 2.0 for my gem, not the old efx 1.0 btw =)
    Thank you very much Lucifer, not only 4.2 compatibility but also Gaussian! Awesome! Really I feel in debt to you! +rep asap I'll get back to my PC tomorrow evening!
    Grazie di cuore

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Yeah I'm using GEM 4.2 on Win 7 and with a couple very minor tweaks (Vibrance at 0.15 and no Film Grain) I'm really digging GEM. I took a long break from Rome (patch 3 till patch 9!) and this is adding to the fun of coming back a lot. Thanks!

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah I'm using GEM 4.2 on Win 7 and with a couple very minor tweaks (Vibrance at 0.15 and no Film Grain) I'm really digging GEM. I took a long break from Rome (patch 3 till patch 9!) and this is adding to the fun of coming back a lot. Thanks!
    Try this preset out, it was posted by Carbide yesterday. Looks really good and the pics that I posted are from that preset. Make sure you +rep him though, because its his...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/39...7z#39;s_mod.7z

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Try this preset out, it was posted by Carbide yesterday. Looks really good and the pics that I posted are from that preset. Make sure you +rep him though, because its his...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/39...7z#39;s_mod.7z
    Cool, I'll check it out. Do I need to use Aztec's mod too?

wow...HUGE impact on performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    wow...HUGE impact on performance.
    Actually there should be no impact on performance. I got 0fps drop using GEM 4.2.

Another day has come and gone.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

carbide, do you use seasons mod? I notice example on winter time, your gem setting become like grey-white and very dark.