Thread: R2:TW GEM - Graphic Enhancement Mod (obsolate)

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Default Re: R2:TW GEM - Graphic Enhancement Mod (Version 6.1)

Still 86x, but still as you said, it might not be important! As everything else seems to work fine! (just needs some effects to see result ;D)

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Slashas View Post
    Still 86x, but still as you said, it might not be important! As everything else seems to work fine! (just needs some effects to see result ;D)
    Weird though but no priority right now and not possible for me to test .oO

I know now it works on all platforms in general and also that it only needs the x86 .dll for Win7 and Win8.0 so I can pack everything into one gem.pack.
    However, I need to upload a new GEMSteamInstaller which extracts all new files and through out a few depricated (like the d3d9.dll).

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Excited!

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    //Still need Win7 64Bit people to check if it works and with which d3dcompiler_47.dll

A build for 64bit applications (for Elveon to test since it seems his game loads x64 dlls)
    Attachment 315878
    On Windows 7 64 bit, the d3dcompiler_47.dll working is the one coming from the x86 folder (and a log is generated)

I also tried this dxgi.dll on my W8.1 64 bit system and now shaders are not stuck anymore on 3. But no log is generated...
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Praefecter's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: [WIP] R2:TW GEM

I downloaded this mod and it works, but it wont read my graphics card. it only gives the option of the intel hd4600. anyone know the solution. ive already changed all the settings in the nvidia control panel to use my gtx880m but it doesnt work.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Default Re: [WIP] R2:TW GEM

Quote Originally Posted by =Vastator= View Post
    On Windows 7 64 bit, the d3dcompiler_47.dll working is the one coming from the x86 folder (and a log is generated)

I also tried this dxgi.dll on my W8.1 64 bit system and now shaders are not stuck anymore on 3. But no log is generated...
    Thanks for the first information. It makes things easier for the Win7 version since there is no difference between x86 and x64 OS and I can just ship one of the files.
    Rome 2 is definitly no 64bit game (we just thought cause his game was loading binaries from the sysWOW64 folder instead), the 64bit GEM dxgi.dll is never load in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Praefecter View Post
    I downloaded this mod and it works, but it wont read my graphics card. it only gives the option of the intel hd4600. anyone know the solution. ive already changed all the settings in the nvidia control panel to use my gtx880m but it doesnt work.
    I think I answered already in STEAM? Rome 2 seems to enumerate all GPU devices on your computer and I pick the first one. The quick but risky fix is to deactivate your integrated card in the device manager (but on your own risk). There might be another solution where I can identify integrated cards but that I dont know when I can do it.

---------------------

There is a few things I want To Do now::

+ done + fixed Steam Overlay on Win8.1 (works now on all platforms)

- failed - Steam Overlay screenshots do not work on Win8.1

+ done + re-implemented the screenshot function of GEMFX, this time stores .jpg files but optional VERY HIGH (double from before) quality .bmp

+ done +
    separated AA from SweetFX stack

+ done + in depth files check

+ done + adding more/advanced AA options (1x smaa, temporal smaa, 2x smaa, 4x smaa [first need MSAA impl])

- pending[0%] - add toggles through presets in the preset folder
    [I would think of next-key, prev-key, on/off-key for you to set; what you think?]

- pending[20%] - add a Menu for GEM which allows to either tweak GEM or select presets from the preset folder
    [Also tried already so might be complicated]

- pending[0%] - (optional) disable steam overlay on Win81 version for better performance

- pending[10%] - load shaders into memory to reduce disk I/O

//what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Ganossa; October 21, 2014 at 02:55 AM.

we definitely need Advanced AA options.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freud View Post
    we definitely need Advanced AA options.
    It will take some time to implement better AA but with SweetFX and AA separated you can at least run GEM without AA or even combine FXAA and SMAA which was not possible before.

alkis6's Avatar Civis

No forced shader 3.0 but effects do not work! yet?

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by alkis6 View Post
    No forced shader 3.0 but effects do not work! yet?
    Yes, it was only a test version with no effects yet. I was curious about the GEMFX.log content and the feedback of people helped me alot so far
    You can see my road-map in the previous post (maybe cannot implement all) for the next test version.
    Prio today is AA, shader from memory instead of disk and at least drawing some text on screen.

Soo...I have followed the installation instructions, but all it did for me was blur the image. Even the menus are blurred and I can barely read the texts. I tried turning off the gaussian blur, but that didn't change anything.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Soo...I have followed the installation instructions, but all it did for me was blur the image. Even the menus are blurred and I can barely read the texts. I tried turning off the gaussian blur, but that didn't change anything.
    Which version do you use? In case you use the Win7 version there is an additional blur option by pressing the K-Button. You can disable this function in the GEM_Settings.txt or define a different key.

After many hours trying to get a .log file, finally i got it!

I own a win8.1 x64 OS, and my problem with the newest GEM build was dxgi.dll was not loaded. I solved it by unistalling and reinstalling all my .NET framwork updates, even if they were fully up-to-date.

Here is my GEM log feedback!

[16:37:04] Welcome - GEMFX is preparing for 32bit application
    [16:37:04] x86 OS detected...adjusting algorithms
    [16:37:04] Running on Win8.1 or higher...adjusting algorithms
    [16:37:04] Hooking SwapChain found at 'C:\Windows\system32\dxgi.dll'
    [16:37:04] Hooking Device found at 'C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll'
    [16:37:04] GEMFX successfully hooked onto 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\rome2.exe'
    [16:37:04] Init Factory-1 hook
    [16:37:04] Factory-1 hook successful
    [16:37:04] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [16:37:04] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [16:37:04] Init Factory-1 hook
    [16:37:04] Factory-1 hook successful
    [16:37:04] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [16:37:04] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [16:37:05] Init Factory-1 hook
    [16:37:05] Factory-1 hook successful
    [16:37:05] Init Factory-1 hook
    [16:37:05] Factory-1 hook successful
    [16:37:05] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [16:37:05] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [16:37:05] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [16:37:05] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [16:37:05] Hooked onto SwapChain successfully
    [16:37:05] 1080p detected
    [16:37:05] Full-Screen mode detected
    [16:37:05] Preparing SMAA...
    [16:37:05] SMAA On
    [16:37:05] Thank you for testing GEMFX
    [16:37:05] It should run without a problem on your system and with the tested Game :-)

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by =Vastator= View Post

Thanks for the first information. It makes things easier for the Win7 version since there is no difference between x86 and x64 OS and I can just ship one of the files.
    Rome 2 is definitly no 64bit game (we just thought cause his game was loading binaries from the sysWOW64 folder instead), the 64bit GEM dxgi.dll is never load in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Praefecter View Post
    I think I answered already in STEAM? Rome 2 seems to enumerate all GPU devices on your computer and I pick the first one. The quick but risky fix is to deactivate your integrated card in the device manager (but on your own risk). There might be another solution where I can identify integrated cards but that I dont know when I can do it.

---------------------

There is a few things I want To Do now::

+ done + fixed Steam Overlay on Win8.1 (works now on all platforms)

- failed - Steam Overlay screenshots do not work on Win8.1

+ done + re-implemented the screenshot function of GEMFX, this time stores .jpg files but optional VERY HIGH (double from before) quality .bmp

+ done +
    separated AA from SweetFX stack

+ done + in depth files check

+ done + adding more/advanced AA options (1x smaa, temporal smaa, 2x smaa, 4x smaa [first need MSAA impl])

+ done + added toggles through presets in the preset folder (can now be loaded through GEM ingame-Menu)

- pending[70%] - add a Menu for GEM which allows to either tweak GEM or select presets from the preset folder
    [Also tried already so might be complicated]

- pending[0%] - (optional) disable steam overlay on Win81 version for better performance

- pending[10%] - load shaders into memory to reduce disk I/O

//what are your thoughts?

I finally (took me two days) got text/picture drawing working in GEMFX, so now I "only" have to build it into a Menu
    Last edited by Ganossa; October 22, 2014 at 04:48 AM.

Nice work, Lucifer! Overall i like the re-implemented screenshot function..!

You're the best! :-)

Ok, I got it figured out. Made a mistake in the settings and screwed up my video quality. However I cannot rebind the blur-key. No matter what I change it to, it still is bound to K, which also hides the interface. And I don't want the game to become blurry everytime I hide the interface. I just set the value for the blur to 0 now.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Seems this has become a techfest and error reporting forum, LOL. When do we see a new release?

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Ok, I got it figured out. Made a mistake in the settings and screwed up my video quality. However I cannot rebind the blur-key. No matter what I change it to, it still is bound to K, which also hides the interface. And I don't want the game to become blurry everytime I hide the interface. I just set the value for the blur to 0 now.
    Replace the number 75 with one of the US ANSI keyboard (104 keys) keycodes :
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ASCII/commen...ode_reference/

This only works on windows 7 in the current version. If you use windows 8.1 you have to wait for the next version or set #define GEMBlur to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdguru View Post
    Seems this has become a techfest and error reporting forum, LOL. When do we see a new release?
    When I am done with the list above

EDIT:: I wish it was a hosted mod then I could separate everything in debug, presets, pictures, development, user wishes and actually combine one for all TWC with also SW2, ETW, M2TW sub threads .oO
    Last edited by Ganossa; October 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

If it wasn't for this "techfest" it wouldn't be a next version of GEM.

@LuciferHawk: i suggest you asking mods for a section on the Rome II hosted mod forums; the mod has become pretty famous, it even received an important prize, so i think your request will be taken positively.

BTW my log on W8.1 x64 (i installed various .net framework, as suggest by Elveon, and various versions of Visuall C++ redistributable, in order to let it work!)

[12:58:33] Welcome - GEMFX is preparing for 32bit application
    [12:58:33] x86 OS detected...adjusting algorithms
    [12:58:33] Running on Win8.1 or higher...adjusting algorithms
    [12:58:33] Hooking SwapChain found at 'C:\Windows\system32\dxgi.dll'
    [12:58:33] Hooking Device found at 'C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll'
    [12:58:33] GEMFX successfully hooked onto 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\rome2.exe'
    [12:58:33] Init Factory-1 hook
    [12:58:33] Factory-1 hook successful
    [12:58:33] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [12:58:33] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [12:58:33] Init Factory-1 hook
    [12:58:33] Factory-1 hook successful
    [12:58:33] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [12:58:33] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [12:58:34] Init Factory-1 hook
    [12:58:34] Factory-1 hook successful
    [12:58:34] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [12:58:34] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [12:58:34] Enabled Multi-Thread Device
    [12:58:34] Hooked onto Device successfully
    [12:58:34] Hooked onto SwapChain successfully
    [12:58:34] 1080p detected
    [12:58:34] Full-Screen mode detected
    [12:58:34] Preparing SMAA...
    [12:58:34] SMAA On
    [12:58:34] Thank you for testing GEMFX
    [12:58:34] It should run without a problem on your system and with the tested Game :-)
    Last edited by =Vastator=; October 22, 2014 at 06:02 AM.
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    EDIT:: I wish it was a hosted mod then I could separate everything in debug, presets, pictures, development, user wishes and actually combine one for all TWC with also SW2, ETW, M2TW sub threads .oO
    Perhaps you could ask TWC to make that happen? With one and a quarter million views, it seems like a no-brainer.