Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top three issues with RTW 2 (constructive criticism)

Default Your top three issues with RTW 2 (constructive criticism)

I’m a great believer in constructive criticism and wanted to make a thread that would provide useful feedback without descending into heated argument. The idea is to list, with a short description, your top three problems with RTW 2. I know that there are a lot more than three problems, but the plan is to give focus to the most pressing issues. Please be brief since long rants will make the thread harder to read and detract from the purpose of it.

So here are my top three….

1. Too many unit cool-down abilities that don’t make much sense. In my opinion these introduce too much micromanagement and detract from the realism of the game; one should not have to click a button to tell their troops to fight a bit harder. Ultimately this takes away from the tactical elements of the battle and gives it to micromanagement skills. “I’m sorry sir, we did outflank them, but they pressed the fight button and we did not so we lost” or “Our plan to wear out their heavy infantry through fighting and marching would have worked but their general kept pointing at them and telling them they were not tired”.

2. The battles are too fast. I can appreciate they want to create a frantic feel to the battle but this again takes away from the tactical planning once again emphasising clicking skills over tactical planning skills. I’m lucky since I have not suffered the performance problems that others have but it is not like you can appreciate what the game looks like since you spend all your time zoomed out clicking like a madman to make sure your units react to the situation and try properly in the fights.

3. I will be controversial and say artillery (I know diplomacy has issues, but it’s too early to be sure of their exact nature). Quite early on in my Iceni campaign (within the first 20 turns) I have ballista. Not being an expert on the Iceni I can perhaps accept that it is possible they developed such a weapon, there may be historical evidence somewhere, but I cannot accept that they developed a weapon of such rapid firing, accurate explosive power that it puts the cannon in ETW to shame. I know that there are arguments about historical accuracy and its place in games but surely this is beyond the pale

So there are my three, what are yours?

-Edited part-

This thread has had long enough to accumulate most peoples opinions so I have made an attempt to compile it into statistics. This was not easy for a variety of reasons so I have sometimes combined similar criticisms together or divided them when several issues were listed under one heading. I will list the criticism with the numbers of people mentioning it and any noteworthy comments.

1. Battle speed is too fast - 80 people.
    2. Optimisation - 39 people.
    3. Battlefield AI - 30 people.
    4. UI - 29 people.
    5. Poor historical representation of units - 29 people. (Note that this is particularly ambiguous because the complaints here were very wide ranging and often very specific for example javelins go too far, units can easily burn down gates or unit X is too powerful)
    6. Units unable to maintain formation - 29 people.
    7. Campaign AI - 21 people.
    8. Too many unrealistic ability buttons - 19 people.
    9. Poor city information and management - 19 people.
    10. Character development and family tree - 19 people.
    11. Time between turns is too long - 12 people.
    12. AI army composition - 12 people.
    13. Limited number of armies on the campaign map - 9 people.
    14. No guard mode for units - 9 people. (This could have been combined with number 5 but enough people mentioned it specifically)
    15. Only one turn per year - 7 people.
    16. Faction politics - 5 people.
    17. Battle maps - 3 people. (This was mostly the siege maps)
    18. Lack of cinematics - 2 people.
    19. Too many factions - 1 person. (There could be some overlap here with AI turn length)
    20. Bugs - 1 person.

One should take care when interpreting this data since people were asked to list only their top three complains. Therefore, just because an issue didn't get many mentions does not mean it does not have a consensus opinion and the opposite could also be true. People should feel free to continue posting in this thread although I will not keep updating these statistics for the sake of my sanity.

Finally I want to thank the people that contributed to this thread, the tone has remained respectful and mature at a time when certain people are criticising these forums for the manor in which opinions have been expressed. Cheers!
    Last edited by Twido; September 09, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: new information

Default Re: Your top three issues with RTW 2 (constructive criticism)

a) Poor city info and therefore management, feels to restrictive.

b) Too many AI fractions/too large a map, making the AI turns last forever.

c) Poor battles, too fast, too many gimmicky abilities, not fighting in an actually battleline, its more like a large street brawl.

1. Floaty superfast combat where the lines between different units are practically eliminated. All infantry are infantry, at most they die at a slightly different rate in the ball of doom. All archers are archers, at most they kill at a slightly different rate when firing at each other or the melee ball. All cavalry are cavalry, at most they die a bit less fast after a charge. I honestly can't tell the difference between any of my melee units in combat. Absolutely the biggest issue right now.

2. Pointless navies when land armies turn to fully fledged naval units free of charge with no penalties

3. Cooldown galore with a couple of things with stupidly high effects (flaming ammunition for archer types slaughters hoplites in seconds) but mostly just next to no effect (pretty much every other ability).

Diplomacy would be a good contender for one of these spots too, but I'm kinda used to the AIs being rather bipolar in their relationships with me from Shogun 2. Having that effect right from the first turn in Rome 2 as opposed to the "after conquering x provinces and having a diplo penalty against everyone now" in Shogun 2 is not that big a change.

1. The UI is terrible.

2. Battles go way too fast.

3. Turn times too long.

1.Poor optimization

2.Battles are way too fast and some of the unit abilities are dumb

3.Very low morale on most units

1. Building system. They decided to hold our hand because of the amount of cities. Well, I don't think there are so many that it would have been impossible to use the same system as in Shogun II, which was perfect by the way.

2. General. I just don't care about my generals, and when one dies you can just bring a new one back in a second. They die too quickly too.

3. Diplomacy, diplomacy diplomacy. FIX IT. Far too demanding and ignorant.

1) 1TPY
    2) Battle speed
    3) AI army composition, 70% slingers in most of the Barb armies I see.

1. I have no idea what the politics screen does at the end of the day. Marriage, Adoption, Rumors etc. It all is too intransparent and doesn't seem to matter.

2. The number of factions lead to a myriad of small fleets being watched by me ever time I press "end turn".

3. I played my first campaign on easy and I built everything in my homeland of britannia and hibernia et caledonia. Now I need 3 full stacks of army just to keep my homeland from rebelling. Further upgrades won't be happening there. All of this is based on trade with 30 factions.

I can handle the UI now and the abilities don't bother me. The performance is of course the biggest problem, but that is a given.
    My signature is running from the battlefield. A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

edit: double post sry. The forum load is too damn high!
    Last edited by Dominian; September 04, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
    My signature is running from the battlefield. A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

1) Poor depiction of roman infantry : Lack of discipline. No guard mode is game breaking for me. Also lack of pilum volley when defending. 2) battle ending too fast. 3) Too many micromanagement (buttons to c lick). The battle looks more fan a click fest than a real strategic opposition. Edit : I forgot to say that all those infantry blobs running around like mad dogs without exhaustion, look dumb to me.
    Last edited by Bellicose; September 04, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Qual ten la lenga, ten la clau que de sas cadenas lo desliura.

Outlaw's Avatar Ordinarius

1. Laggy campaign map and slow turn times
    2. No Guard mode and gimmick micro abilities
    3. Both UI needs work

1. Battle speed is way too high (Killing speed, Moving speed)

2. Poor performance compared to Shogun2 or NTW/ETW

3. Bugs (hoplite formation useless, javelin throwers make 22 shots per minute, no more light formation available to spread out against archer or artillery fire)

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

My main issue so far, since I couldn't really play the game trying to find settings that work well:

1) Add an option "No shadow" in the graphics settings that would COMPLETLY remove the shadows for old GPU and avoid the "all units turn black when seen for some direction" syndrom,while keeping some descent textures.

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

1. Battle speed, battles are almost over before they begin

2. Battle speed, infantry units get mowed down in 10 seconds, field battles take around a minute of actual fighting.

3. Unit magic abilities are stupid. Is there any incentive for me not to whip my Hastati or make my velites throw faster? No the fighting is over in a minute or two so there is no incentive not to press the magic fight harder button
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Im really bothered by the UI, in my Rome campaign I dont know who my faction leader is, or the leader of my family, managing 1 province and 2 regions here seems more tedious than managing a whole empire in any previous game etc.

Id like to have screens like technology, character descriptions and town info full screen, Id like to double click on a town and see the info of only that town not the entire province etc. It might be just me but the new UI seems really unintuitive.

-- Need full screen windowed mode

1) Poor city info (thanks to the bad new UI, only 1 Window is open at a time) and management....

2) Battle issues: too fast (Moving, Killing, Routing speed ) , too many abilities, not fighting in battleline

3) Missing family tree
    Last edited by TheJokerr; September 04, 2013 at 06:44 AM.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

1.unplayable with my pc,which is good....15-20 fps
    2.bleh textures
    3.unoptimized completely
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

1. Battle Speed. They are too fast. Maybe just raise the HP or something. (Also I need the guard mode)

2. CPU turns take too long, and coupled with the 1tpy makes my turns seem very short and annoying.

3. Make every walled city unique.

1) Blob battles with flag points stupid AI and no formation / unit cohesion logic or whatevere else .and basically absence of any tactical presence.

2) Campaign Design with no city walls, poor management , no descriptions , uncomprensible UI and no seasonal and strategic depness

3) Game Design lacking proper historical formations like testudo and a lot of biased content and wrong historical design of some units as well as the overall no difference in faction fight styles .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast