View Poll Results: Do you support a precision strike on Syrian military targets against the use of chemical weapons?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do support a military strike.

56 23.05%
  • No, I do not support a military strike due to a lack of evidence.

35 14.40%
  • No, I do not support a military strike regardless of the evidence.

123 50.62%
  • Not sure.

12 4.94%
  • Don't care.

17 7.00%
Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Syrian Civil War Thread - part 2

Default Re: The Syrian Civil War Thread - part 2

There is something fallacious bringing the argument that a military intervention against the Syrian regime will help the Gulf backed jihadists. Not that I'm ruling out this possibility, but taking in comparison the WWII by fighting Hitler the US helped Stalin to occupy Eastern Europe and to establish the rule of oppressive regimes. Keeping yourself out of the major events in a globalized world it isn't a guarantee that you are making the safest choice.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    That's kind of my point. We put forward a resolution. We didn't get them involved in making such a resolution in the first place. It was a case of, "oh hey, here is a resolution against your ally. Yay or nay?" If we publicly got Russia and China involved in the resolution making process we might have more success.
    What possible kind of resolution could the UN pass on Syria that Russia and China would agree to?EDIT: Germany's BND intelligence agency says Assad is behind the latest chemical attack.http://ca.news.yahoo.com/german-spy-...154308631.html
    Last edited by Vanoi; September 04, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

@Kitsunegari: It is interesting. Erdoğan just said yesterday "limited intervention is not good enough for us". I believe the writer the article you post is not much awere of realities of Turkey.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    What possible kind of resolution could the UN pass on Syria that Russia and China would agree to?[/url]
    One that they have been involved in creating, which takes their considerations into account and which they can publicly say they had a hand in. As it stands we have a Western response, a Russian response and a Chinese response rather then a unanimous response, which is why nothing ever gets passed. If you want the UNSC to function you have to involve everyone or else whats the point?
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Civitate

One that they have been involved in creating, which takes their considerations into account and which they can publicly say they had a hand in. As it stands we have a Western response, a Russian response and a Chinese response rather then a unanimous response, which is why nothing ever gets passed. If you want the UNSC to function you have to involve everyone or else whats the point?
    You didn't really answer my question. What kind of resolution could the UN pass that Russia and Syria wouldn't veto? What kind of action can the UN take on Syria that all five members can agree to? Because i can't think of anything.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

I just answered you're question, one that everyone has been involved and had a say in. Much of Russia and China's response to Western resolutions is down to just that, the fact they are Western resolutions. That doesn't make it easy to sell to their people or to their allies. If everyone got their heads together I am sure we could have pumped out a resolution in which Russia and China do more to pressure Assad, and in which they can claim they were involved, that they are not ignoring the worlds problems and that they helped prevent military action against an ally. The key is getting them involved in the actual resolution making process rather then excluding them from it. Do you really think they would agree to resolution they had no say in making? Why would they? I don't really know how anyone could possibly argue against getting them involved in the process. If it fails, fine. But at least then we can say we tried.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Civitate

I just answered you're question, one that everyone has been involved and had a say in. Much of Russia and China's response to Western resolutions is down to just that, the fact they are Western resolutions. That doesn't make it easy to sell to their people or to their allies. If everyone got their heads together I am sure we could have pumped out a resolution in which Russia and China do more to pressure Assad, and in which they can claim they were involved, that they are not ignoring the worlds problems and that they helped prevent military action against an ally. The key is getting them involved in the actual resolution making process rather then excluding them from it. Do you really think they would agree to resolution they had no say in making? Why would they? I don't really know how anyone could possibly argue against getting them involved in the process. If it fails, fine. But at least then we can say we tried.
    No, you didn't answer my question. I asked what kind of resolution could be passed, and all you keep saying is one were they are involved. Thats not telling me what the resolution is going to be about or how it effects the civil war. Russia and China are not going to agree to a resolution to pressure Assad. It would be horribly one-sided and thus Russia isn't just going to leave its ally Syria on its own here. This means the resolution won't be able to unilaterally target one side of the war, its going to have to be for both. Russia nor the West are going to accept that. The only real meaningful resolution we can [pass now is an arms embargo no side is going to agree to.What action can be taken on Syria that all sides will agree to?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Comes Limitis

What possible kind of resolution could the UN pass on Syria that Russia and China would agree to?EDIT: Germany's BND intelligence agency says Assad is behind the latest chemical attack.http://ca.news.yahoo.com/german-spy-...154308631.html
    I wonder where news.yahoo.com etc is when the BND had to explain German parliament about their assesments of a vast majority of rebels being jihadist, and the Houla massacre among countless other atrocities probably being them as well. In the time when the hipster skinny jeans rebel was still photoshopped and people bought it and the time all massacres and the like where part of the evil Assad build up.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    I wonder where news.yahoo.com etc is when the BND had to explain German parliament about their assesments of a vast majority of rebels being jihadist, and the Houla massacre among countless other atrocities probably being them as well. In the time when the hipster skinny jeans rebel was still photoshopped and people bought it and the time all massacres and the like where part of the evil Assad build up.
    When have the BND claimed most of the rebels are islamists and that the Houla massacre was conducted by the rebels?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

The Syrian War What You're Not Being Told...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dkamZg68jpk

Any evidence we do have (as opposed to politicians saying "trust me") suggests the rebels are behind the chemical attacks. And yes, the dominant groups amongst the rebels are Islamist.

Nowhere in rebel-controlled Syria is there a secular fighting force to speak of.

Despite evidence to the contrary, Secretary of State John Kerry told a Senate hearing Tuesday that Syria’s rebel forces are increasingly dominated by secular groups.

France’s Media Admits that the Syrian “Opposition” is Al Qaida.

I hate these debates because no-one can be persuaded - not by logic, evidence or any other authoritative link. However, I cannot stand lies and propaganda which is what the "democratic bombers" are propagating.
    Last edited by Durnaug; September 04, 2013 at 05:36 PM.

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

More reports supporting the claim that rebels have access to chemical weapons
    http://intellihub.com/2013/08/29/syr...ss-border-may/
    Last edited by YuriVII; September 04, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

@ Vanoi, wow if I needed anymore convincing that the chemical weapons were not used by Assad but by the rebels, the German BND provided it. Not the first war they manipulated and fabricated to the west. The BND is a disgusting organization.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    The Syrian War What You're Not Being Told...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dkamZg68jpk

Any evidence we do have (as opposed to politicians saying "trust me") suggests the rebels are behind the chemical attacks. And yes, the dominant groups amongst the rebels are Islamist.

Nowhere in rebel-controlled Syria is there a secular fighting force to speak of.

Despite evidence to the contrary, Secretary of State John Kerry told a Senate hearing Tuesday that Syria’s rebel forces are increasingly dominated by secular groups.

France’s Media Admits that the Syrian “Opposition” is Al Qaida.

I hate these debates because no-one can be persuaded - not by logic, evidence or any other authoritative link. However, I cannot stand lies and propaganda which is what the "democratic bombers" are propagating.
    You keep talking about evidence but all you provided so far are hearsay. Is there actual evidence such as samples tested for Sarin gas, caught orders, or satellite images?
    The Armenian Issue

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Durnaug View Post
    Nowhere in rebel-controlled Syria is there a secular fighting force to speak of.[/URL][/B][/U]
    [COLOR=#0000ff]
    I like his words.

“It’s our judgment that — and the judgment of our good friends who actually know a lot of this in many ways better than we do because it’s their region, their neighborhood — … [that] the secular component of Syria will re-emerge” once the Syrian government is deposed, Kerry claimed in the hearing.

Those “good friends” are officials from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates, which are all religious and political enemies of Syria’s embattled dictatorship.

“I’m talking about the Saudis, the Emirates, the Qataris, the Turks, the Jordanians,” he said.
    The only dude he mentioned that convince me is Qatar, and in some level Jordan (although I remember King of Jordan went back his words of reform).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Comes Limitis

When have the BND claimed most of the rebels are islamists and that the Houla massacre was conducted by the rebels?
    I posted this article around a year ago, and brought it up several times later again. No reactions whatsoever.
    German intelligence: al-Qaeda all over Syria

By John Rosenthal

German intelligence estimates that
    "around 90" terror attacks that "can be attributed to organizations that are
    close to al-Qaeda or jihadist groups" were carried out in Syria between the end
    of December and the beginning of July, as reported by the German daily Die
    Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) [1]. This was revealed

by the
    German government in a response to a parliamentary question.

In response
    to the same question, the German government admitted that it had received
    several reports from the German foreign intelligence service, the BND, on the
    May 25 massacre in the Syrian town of Houla. But it noted that the content of
    these reports was to remain classified "by reason of national interest", Like
    many other Western governments, Germany expelled Syria's ambassador in the
    immediate aftermath of the massacre, holding the Syrian government responsible
    for the violence.

Meanwhile, at least three major German newspapers -
    Die Welt, the FAZ, and the mass-market tabloid Bild - have published reports
    attributing responsibility for the massacre to anti-government rebel forces or
    treating this as the most probable scenario.

Writing in Bild, [2]
    longtime German war correspondent Jurgen Todenhofer accused the rebels of
    "deliberately killing civilians and then presenting them as victims of the
    government". He described this "massacre-marketing strategy" as being "among the
    most disgusting things that I have ever experienced in an armed conflict".
    Todenhofer had recently been to Damascus, where he interviewed Syrian President
    Bashar al-Assad for Germany's ARD public television.

Wring in Die Welt
    [3], Alfred Hackensberger noted that Taldo, the sub-district of Houla where the
    massacre occurred, has been under rebel control since December 2011 and is in an
    open plain, making it unlikely that "hundreds of soldiers and Assad supporters"
    could have entered the village to commit the massacre. (An abridged version of
    Hackenberger's report also appeared in Die Berliner Morgenpost.) Hackensberger
    visited Houla to conduct investigations for his report.

He also
    interviewed an alleged eyewitness - identified simply by the pseudonym "Jibril"
    - at the Saint James Monastery in Qara, Syria. In contrast to an earlier report
    in the FAZ [4], which had claimed that the victims were largely Shi'ites and
    Alawis, Jibril told Hackensberger that all of the victims were Sunnis "like
    everybody here". By his account, they were killed for refusing to support the
    rebellion. Jibril added that "a lot of people in Houla know what really
    happened" but would not say so out of fear for their lives. "Whoever says
    something," he explained, "can only repeat the rebels' version. Anything else is
    certain death."

While traveling in the region of Homs, Hackensberger
    heard similar stories about the conduct of the rebels. One - now former -
    resident of the city of Qusayr told him that not only were Christians like
    himself expelled from the town, but that anyone who refused to enroll their
    children in the Free Syrian Army had been shot. Hackensberger's source held
    foreign Islamists responsible for the atrocities. "I have seen them with my own
    eyes," he said, "Pakistanis, Libyans, Tunisians and also Lebanese. They call
    Osama bin Laden their sheikh."

A Sunni resident of Homs told
    Hackensberger that he had witnessed how an armed group stopped a bus: "The
    passengers were divided into two groups: on the one side, Sunnis; on the other,
    Alawis." According to Hackenberger's source, the insurgents then proceeded to
    decapitate the nine Alawi passengers.

That the German government would
    cite national interest in refusing to disclose its information concerning the
    circumstances of the Houla massacre is particularly notable in light of
    Germany's support for the rebellion and its political arm, the Syrian National
    Council (SNC).

While France, the United Kingdom, and the United States
    have figured as the most visible Western powers supporting the rebellion,
    Germany has been quietly playing a major role behind the scenes. According to a
    new report in the FAZ [5], the German foreign office is working with
    representatives of the Syrian opposition to develop "concrete plans" for a
    "political transition" in Syria following the fall of Assad.
    Seems with public sentiments changing people stop being so selective about what they want to hear. Only good thing from this war is people all over our decaying democracies waking up to allot of the bull...slowly but steadily.
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

GOP rep: “you can continue killing your own people, you just can’t kill them with chemical gas.”

Seriously, those were her exact words!

I think that about sums up the mind-numbing absurdity of the whole thing.
    Yeah an elephant never forgets... But I forget what the elephant remembered!

Civitate

And now i know why i ignored it. No where in that article does it say Islamists represent the majority of rebels. No where in that article does it claim the BND believes the rebels committed the massacre at Houla.

You can do better than this thorn.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

That's kind of my point. We put forward a resolution. We didn't get them involved in making such a resolution in the first place. It was a case of, "oh hey, here is a resolution against your ally. Yay or nay?"

If we publicly got Russia and China involved in the resolution making process we might have more success.
    I think you misjudge who has leverage here. It is clear the US & co. are now willing to act without a UN resolution so the Russian UNSC veto is powerless. If the Russians want a say they have to offer something up, give the US a reason to seek a UN resolution which it is not currently seeking.
    Last edited by Sphere; September 04, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Comes Limitis

And now i know why i ignored it. No where in that article does it say Islamists represent the majority of rebels. No where in that article does it claim the BND believes the rebels committed the massacre at Houla.

You can do better than this thorn.
    Read more carefully. In response to a parliamentary question the BND admitted 90 "terror attacks" last 7 months of that year can be attributed to these jihadis and to that same question also admitted to have several reports on Houla which they wont classify by reasons of national interest. In any case thats a 180 compared to the American media coverage of the day. And note the reports of the reputable journalists who went there.

Also:

Last edited by Thorn777; September 04, 2013 at 07:23 PM.

Civitate

Read more carefully. In response to a parliamentary question the BND admitted 90 "terror attacks" that year can be attributed to these jihadis and to that same question also admitted to have several reports on Houla which they wont classify by reasons of national interest. In any case thats a 180 compared to the media coverage of the day.
    This doesn't prove the massacre was committed by the rebels. The information concerning the massacre in the article doesn't even come from the BND but a war correspondent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houla_massacre

Also, the UN already released their report on the investigation into the Houla massacre. They believe it was conducted by Assad.

Another problem is that we don't know what BND classify's as terrorist attacks. Massacres might not be considered terrorist attacks at all by them.

Also:

Lol, and why should i believe anything coming from Putin's mouthpiece? Where is this report he says is from the BND?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC