View Poll Results: Do you support a precision strike on Syrian military targets against the use of chemical weapons?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do support a military strike.

56 23.05%
  • No, I do not support a military strike due to a lack of evidence.

35 14.40%
  • No, I do not support a military strike regardless of the evidence.

123 50.62%
  • Not sure.

12 4.94%
  • Don't care.

17 7.00%
Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Syrian Civil War Thread - part 2

Default Re: The Syrian Civil War Thread - part 2

Especially if the normal political calculus tells them that they should be gifted the White House in the next election cycle.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Default Re: The Syrian Civil War Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    Oh well, let me know when you're interested in discussing the real issue instead of retarded comebacks and misleading arguments.
    Talk about real issues yet you were speaking "hypothetically" concerning Assad supporting global terrorism if he won the war? I see a contradiction.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Gaius Marius Maximus's Avatar Miles

the deployment of naval forces near the syrian coast 03 sep 2013.
    Last edited by Gaius Marius Maximus; September 04, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

The congress debate is now live on C-SPAN.
    The Armenian Issue

Hilarious that Kerry is now beating the war drums after being so critical of Bush's war in Iraq where we KNEW Saddam gassed the Kurds. How hypocritical.

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Yes I do find Kerry's super aggressive attitude in past few months quite unusual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Comes Limitis

So the Boener is now endorsing the war as well. Wonder what goodies Obama gave him in exchange. Some social-security cuts maybe. Maybe some foodstamp cuts. Maybe some more chained CPI scheming.

What murderes and thieves they are...the lot of them. "Showbusiness for ugly people".
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Yes I do find Kerry's super aggressive attitude in past few months quite unusual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Wolf View Post
    Hilarious that Kerry is now beating the war drums after being so critical of Bush's war in Iraq where we KNEW Saddam gassed the Kurds. How hypocritical.
    You guys might find this a bit odd to grasp, but this isn't Kerry's presidency, nor is it twenty years after the chemical weapons were used.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

So what?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

We should not allow ourselves to get in these positions where best case scenario if we act we have little to gain and where if we do not act we have much to lose.

If we do nothing we have to deal with the consequences of our false promises and generally shafting "the good guys" to the neutral position that favors "the bad guys."

As far as I'm concerned it's in Syria's best interest to end this war quickly and have Assad bring stability back, with minimal reprisals against the insurgency and the people of Syria.

Obama's plan as it exists is to kill a relatively few people and destroy some materiel for no strategic or even tactical gain, merely to "do something" about Syria. He's screwed this scenario up so badly for himself. If Congress doesn't approve this mission, which worse they don't have to approve, he may as well resign. His second term will be ruined.

This is a shameful display.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

So what?
    Try this one on for size, Kerry doesn't peddle his own policy when it's not his Presidency, genius. He advises, but this is Obama's policy for him to enact at the State Department. If that means Kerry gets hyper aggressive about making a case about Syria using chemical weapons, guess what Kerry does.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 03, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Try this one one for size "genius" (as you put it), nobody said other wise so your arguing with the wind. Figure out some basic English comprehension before you call people names "genius."

Gawd, Kerry sounds so dumb, well he supposedly had worse grades than Bush at Yale.

So why is Turkey not on board ? Kind of odd.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    Realistically? Because if we, the superpower based thousands of miles away start chucking rockets in all willy nilly at paper targets with our sea assets the US isn't really committing to this, but Turkey will have to deal with the ground conflict that will inevitably emerge from a Turkish move.

Now, if we were going in to destroy the chemical weapons and kill anyone loyalist, rebel, terrorist or otherwise who wants a piece, then yeah, Turkey would move their forces in I imagine.

But that'd be a competent (militarily) if hugely expensive and unpopular move, so I think we can say that is off the table.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 03, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Damn. That is a really good point! There's also that uncomfortable fact that during Reagan's administration in the 80s we silently approved Saddam's use of chemical weapons against the Iranians in the Iran-Iraq War. When it was used against people we Americans didn't particularly like for booting out our embassy a few years prior, we had no problem with it and certainly didn't point to the Geneva Convention.

I sympathize with the millions of Syrian refugees and certainly the millions still stuck in the crossfire of civil war, but what would a limited air strike actually do to help their plight? Not much, I would imagine, unless we repeatedly pounded the living hell out of Assad's infrastructure on a countrywide basis. I don't think the American people even have the stomach for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    Turkey, more correctly AKP government is on board, probably before U.S. was. They simply don't have the same capabilities to strike Syria without risking Turkish soldiers or pilots. Instead they supply the rebels.
    The Armenian Issue

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998
    "I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002
    You are awfully brave to be throwing around the word hypocrisy when you are suggesting that western inaction when Saddam used chemical weapons to clear out rebellious population centers was wrong, but now when Assad is doing the same thing inaction is the correct course to take. It is an impossible argument to make but you seem to take it up without hesitation.
    Last edited by Sphere; September 03, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Where did i say western inaction was wrong? I simply pointed out how Kerry bad mouthed the Iraq War even though by his standards it has more justification than a war in Syria. And BTW we don't know that it was Assad that used the chemical weapons. Stop speaking as if it's fact.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You guys might find this a bit odd to grasp, but this isn't Kerry's presidency, nor is it twenty years after the chemical weapons were used.
    So he constantly dragged Obama into stupid things also is part of Obama's policies (like, you know, happily announced White House was the one back-stabbed Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood and supported the coup)?

Kerry's actions in past few months show that he loves to push too far using overaggressive words, and hence left little flexibility when things turn out not what Obama wished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..