Thread: Camalot

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Camalot

I know the mod is trying to avoid mythical/exagerated things such as Camalot, Avalon, Lioness, ect. But I have been playing as Arthur/Dyfneint... (Great mod, by the way. I've really been enjoying it. I love the slow population growth rates, adds a different kind of challange to the game. Anyways) ...I have expanded east and defeated the Saxons and nearly Jute. I was thinking about moving my capital to a more central location, maybe London (Lundein).

My question is this: Where was Camalot supposed to have been? And is there a city I could compare this with, just to entertain myself?

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Default Re: Camalot

Camelot only appears in Arthurian legend in the XIIIth century in French romance. Before this, Arthur is referenced in two main residences:
    - Celliwig in Cornwall, but this one (meaning something like Forest-Grove) would be more his residence when he was the young leader of a warband
    - Caerlion-upon-Wysg, that is the Caerlion in Ergyng on our map (see Gwent provinces)

Some other candidates for Camelot:
    - Camulodunum, that is Colchester, on the east coast of Britain. It was one of the most important towns of Roman Britain, but its unlikely that Arthur made his capital of a such eastern town, very near of the Angle and Jutish holds, thought it was possibly still British at his time.
    - Cadbury Hill, "Din Cad", on the map in Glastenning. This hillfort was called in the XVIth century by the locals Arthur's Palace. He lied in a region very linked with Arthur, and the excavations have showned it was the fortress of a strong leader, but it might not be Arthur himself but his cousin Cado, the son of Gereint, Cadbury meaning eventually "Cado's Fortress".

Isn't there a theory about a link between Camlann and Camelot?

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Cool, Thanks Agraes.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Isn't there a theory about a link between Camlann and Camelot?

Antagonist
    Yes, this theory is about making Artur mac Aeddan of Dal Riada "THE" Arthur, this is unlikely, but the theorist makes Artur's fortress Camboglanna, a fortress on the Hadrian Wall, and link it with both Camlann and Camelot.

Here the whole theory:
    http://www.legendofkingarthur.com/

Interesting, I heard about the Arthuir mac Aedan theory, a Gaelic Arthur would certainly be weird.

Thanks Agreas, you are truly an expert on all things Arthurian.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

The Welsh spelling is Caerleon - its a small village - used to be the Roman fort of Isca.

Arthur is supposed to have been buried there on Catsash Hill.

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage