Thread: "Random Map" feature/mod for MTW?

Default "Random Map" feature/mod for MTW?

First post here...

I am bored with the default map that comes with MTW. I really, really, wish there was a "Random Map" feature, like Age of Empires had, which would allow you to start a game with a random map.

I know that's extremely unlikely. But perhaps there is a way to randomize the placements of factions and there units? I know, I know, there are mods out there that you can download (and I have played most of them) that will change the units or start factions in a different places. But it would be nice if you could just randomize the faction placement for each game. That way each game would be unique.

HAS ANYBODY MADE SUCH A MOD?

I am asking, because, if the answer is no, I'm going to make a randomizer utility to modify the faction starting locations in the startpos files.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel here. Please, please, let me know if anybody has done anything like this already, so I don't waste my time and everybody else's.

Default Re: "Random Map" feature/mod for MTW?

I dont believe so, I would deffinatley play such a mod if one was made though
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Sounds like an excellent idea. Add to that - perhaps a number of different geographical maps, different regions, resources, etc, that can also pop up, with randomised starting places for the factions.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Oh so impossible to do in any of the TW games.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

Impossible? No. You could make various "strat.txt" files and use a (batch) script to change the used txt when the game starts. This way, the map would be different everytime.
    The more txt files, the more variety.

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

But it would'nt be random, you'd have a set amount of variations, and these guys are talking about a complete random map, not just positions. So that sall the file related to maps as well.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

yeah and if you could overcome the balance issue, then an random map generator with perhaps....4 maps would be an great modification

EDIT: everyone could start with 1 provinve and 1 full stack, and they have to be lets say.... 5 provinces apart
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

What I was thinking...

I wasn't planning to make a brand new map graphic. That would be beyond my skills.

What I want it to do...

First, it should read in the old startpos and region files and make a list of which regions and seas are contiguous on the default MTW map. Then select a grouping of three or four (so the faction is all in one part of the map, not spread out), and assign them to a faction. Factions within one sea-jump of a region would be treated as a contiguous region with one ship allocated.

After all factions are located, the unassigned regions get a random number of Rebels.

For game balance, well, it would not be difficult to have the utility randomly change the income characteristics of the regions so that every faction starts out with a decent balance. AI factions ought to get an economic advantage, however.

I would also like it to redistribute the commodity, metals, and valor building priveliges around the map.

You know, I wouldn't be doing this, except that I hate RTW. Really hate it. It was too much like Civilization.

Also, one of the things I liked most about MTW, when I first played it, was the size of the map and being able to discover what was where. It would be fun to have that all over again.

I've played out the Viking campaigns, and have gone back to replaying the Main strategy map campaigns, which is a little boring because the faction placements and region privileges are the same every time. It makes the game too predictable for satisfactory replay.

Also... theoretically, since the utility should randomize whatever are in the current files, you COULD, if this is implemented smartly, download other map mods and randomize them as well.