Thread: Batavian German Cavalry-the SEALs of Rome.

Default Batavian German Cavalry-the SEALs of Rome.

The Batavians were one of the best men Rome could draw in their Auxiliary cavalry corp. They were known to be super tough and capable fighting men from the Geramnic tribes of the Batavii region. The tribal name, probably a derivation from batawjō ("good island", from Germanic bat- "good, excellent" and awjō "island, land near water")

The Batavians were first recorded by Julius Caesar.

“The Maas rises from mount Le Vosge, which is in the territories of the Lingones; and, having received a branch of the Rhine, which is called the Waal, forms the island of the Batavi, and not more than eighty miles from it falls into the ocean. But the Rhine takes its course among the Lepontii, who inhabit the Alps, and is carried with a rapid current for a long distance through the territories of the Sarunates, Helvetii, Sequani, Mediomatrici, Tribuci, and Treviri, and when it approaches the ocean, divides into several branches; and, having formed many and extensive islands, a great part of which are inhabited by savage and barbarous nations (of whom there are some who are supposed to live on fish and the eggs of sea-fowl), flows into the ocean by several mouths.”

The served as regular units the reign of Augustus and Tiberius in his campaigns against Arminus. They were known to be very well swimmers and guerilla fighters. They also bodyguarded the emperor in his own bodyguard unit "the Equite Singualres" that operated alongside the Praetorian Guard.

The Batavians according to Tacitus could cross the Rhine on their horses without losing formation.

The Bataivans were recorded to be used as an Imphibous shock unit like today's SEALs. Tacitcs writes in the Battle of Idivisito how the Batavians sneaked acoss the river causing the enemy Germans to detatch a formation to intercept them. The Batavians formed a shieldwall and fought heroically until the Roman cavalry saved them.

The emperor Claudius employed the Batavians in his invasion of Britain. Dio Cassius describes their actions during the battle of the River Medway in 43 AD

“The barbarians thought that Romans would not be able to cross [the Medway] without a bridge, and consequently bivouacked in rather careless fashion on the opposite bank; but he sent across a detachment of Germanic tribesmen, who were accustomed to swim easily in full armour across the most turbulent streams. [...] Thence the Britons retired to the river Thames at a point near where it empties into the ocean and at flood-tide forms a lake. This they easily crossed because they knew where the firm ground and the easy passages in this region were to be found; but the Romans in attempting to follow them were not so successful. However, the Germans swam across again and some others got over by a bridge a little way up-stream, after which they assailed the barbarians from several sides at once and cut down many of them.”

The Gerneral Suetonious Paulanus also used them I believe.

However the Batavians later revolted and were defeated by Rome. Rome posed harsh terms by making Legio X Guard them. They still served under the Auxilia and were recorded to have been serving to the 4th century under Constanitius. However their name would never be well recorded after the revolt.

I hope they are in the game and a replacement for Praetorian cavalry. Praetorian cavalry I believe would not have been numerous.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Batavian German Cavalry-the SEALs of Rome.

I have never seen a good representation of the Batavian cavalry under Rome... A pity because I am curious as to what they would have looked like. Nice post, well informed!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

A while ago i suggested Jack to consider a Batavian Unit, for a special Unit pack or something like that, because i doubt they make in the normal Game. As an example i gave him this image:

Is is a unique cavalryhelmet of the Batavians, used by nobody else in our timeframe. In the 2. th century the helmet became more popular and was used by other formtions as well. Specially the Horsehair and the unique artstyles are just beautiful.

The image is taken from http://www.aid-magazin.de/Batavische...me.2370.0.html (Archäologie in Deutschland, Archaeology in Germany) the page for our national science magazin regarding archaeology.

@ HuangCaesar

your point about the Germanic Bodyguard is entirely correct. People forget often that they were the real Bodyguard. The Emperors used Batavian Warriors as Bodyguards since Caesar and only short after Teutoburg Forest and while the Batavian revolt they disbanded them. Short after that Vespanian used them again. It is ironically that so many people have so high regards for the Praetorian Guard, which actually wasn't the lifeguard of the emperors. Instead the Batavi and other germanic warriors were.
    Last edited by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus; September 01, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

Very interesting. Hope to see a unit reflecting your description

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    I have never seen a good representation of the Batavian cavalry under Rome... A pity because I am curious as to what they would have looked like. Nice post, well informed!
    look here:
    http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roma...rt=3345#335273

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

Good post there, very interesting
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Sadly CA has decided not to implement regional units.
    Well they already forgot the Chatti, which the Batavi after inner tribal conflicts parted from.

Instead they separated the Suebi and made the Marcomanni(a well known suebian tribe) a single faction.

So there is no Batavi unit in the game? (won't be playing for a long time until get my rig situation sorted).

They'd better sort that. The Batavi were awesome. Be cool if they could dismount too - can any units dismount as in NTW/MTW?

- btw they are not actually named at Battle of Medway, Dio simply calls the troops crossing the river 'celtae'. It certainly matches their MO, which is why the theory has become so accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    A while ago i suggested Jack to consider a Batavian Unit, for a special Unit pack or something like that, because i doubt they make in the normal Game. As an example i gave him this image:

Is is a unique cavalryhelmet of the Batavians, used by nobody else in our timeframe. In the 2. th century the helmet became more popular and was used by other formtions as well. Specially the Horsehair and the unique artstyles are just beautiful.

The image is taken from http://www.aid-magazin.de/Batavische...me.2370.0.html (Archäologie in Deutschland, Archaeology in Germany) the page for our national science magazin regarding archaeology.

@ HuangCaesar

your point about the Germanic Bodyguard is entirely correct. People forget often that they were the real Bodyguard. The Emperors used Batavian Warriors as Bodyguards since Caesar and only short after Teutoburg Forest and while the Batavian revolt they disbanded them. Short after that Vespanian used them again. It is ironically that so many people have so high regards for the Praetorian Guard, which actually wasn't the lifeguard of the emperors. Instead the Batavi and other germanic warriors were.
    Actually, it was the other way around. The Batavian Bodyguard was disbanded in the aftermath of the Teutoburgerwald battle (in which the Batavi didn't take part as far as I know). They saw it as a great shame they were being disbanded and this most certainly helped to drive them into rebellion (combined with a very unfair taxing system by the local Roman magistrates).