Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Default Re: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

This is a good guidebook for optimizing PC performance in general, therefore +rep to OP. Granted specifically towards Rome 2 I see little performance provided from this guide. Assuming one wasnt see sawing on the bottom end tier of the PC components.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Default Re: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

@ alQamar, Windows Updates can screw your system, ever heard of a Windows Update KBxxxxxxxxx which caused BSOD on every system which applied it? news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-KB2859537-Update-Causes-BSOD-on-Windows-7-375659.shtml

Not to mention Graphics Updates done by Windows which make your games not work anymore, or bring weird glitches.

Also, UAC is not the best inovation in Windows, it may help a tiny bit with security for NOOBS, but most of these users allow any prompted message given by UAC. If I know what can I and can not allow on my system , and want to allow it, why should some security measure or UAC tell me otherwise and not let me do it?

There is a "Java update", UAC prompts you with its message, NOOB user heard about Java on the internet and clicks on Yes cause its a safe thing to do. But wait, it is a malware and you have just gave it Administrator permission to do what is supposed to do and harm you or your system.

Microsoft says its a security measure, I say its annoyance.

Disabling index service has benefit on SSDs.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; September 02, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I started a new campaign, it seems to be working fine again
    Glad you have sorted it out mate.

Moved to the spit shining new Tech forum!
    Daily
    Thank you Daily.

ElvenKind
    I fully agree to your points, however also the advantage of Manual update is that you can pick what you actually want to install and hide unnecessary updates. While automatic update installs everything it can grab.

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Thank you for nice feedback guys.

ElvenKind
    Fully agree to your post. VirtualStore can be a menace, in Windows 8, will try to add guide to that soon. However I am using windows 8.1 right now and they seem to decrease it's effect, don't have problems with it anymore.

Regarding Hibernation as I've said dont have laptop atm, so cant provide steb by step screenshots. If anyone could provide them, I would be glad to add them in.

alQamar

Which Exactly settings do you mean?

You meant this one?

Aragorn-Elessar
    It caps your frame rate in order to prevent screen tearing. However it limits your FPS to your screen Refresh rate. E.g. 60 Hz monitor would be capped at 60 FPS. People with 120hz+ monitors can enable it. Its nothing bad, however it is an FPS issue.
    Ok thanks guy

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    @ alQamar, Windows Updates can screw your system, ever heard of a Windows Update KBxxxxxxxxx which caused BSOD on every system which applied it? news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-KB2859537-Update-Causes-BSOD-on-Windows-7-375659.shtml
    How many were affected world wide? All my systems were not. Business or private.
    When you release about 200 fixes in a half year would you really mind they make ONE mistake, not really. I am working as a Windows sys admin since 2001, going to be certified as Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Windows 2008 R2 / 2012 server, which includes a very good understanding of Windows 7 / 8 aswell, from October 2013.

Through all these 12 years of business I faced only 3 or 4 patches that went horribly wrong, in this case you probably have a representative test group for updates that you do not have at home. But the quote of failed updates is really small, so that I still say I trust the Microsoft Q&A.

Not to mention Graphics Updates done by Windows which make your games not work anymore, or bring weird glitches.
    These times are mostly over man, Windows updates, if set this way will only install the same drivers than provided by nvidia, Intel and AMD. They only publish certified drivers, and so they are not screwing your system anymore.
    This was different some years ago when they released customized drivers. Now they use the same setup that you DL at the vendors.

Also, UAC is not the best inovation in Windows, it may help a tiny bit with security for NOOBS, but most of these users allow any prompted message given by UAC. If I know what can I and can not allow on my system , and want to allow it, why should some security measure or UAC tell me otherwise and not let me do it?

There is a "Java update", UAC prompts you with its message, NOOB user heard about Java on the internet and clicks on Yes cause its a safe thing to do. But wait, it is a malware and you have just gave it Administrator permission to do what is supposed to do and harm you or your system.

Microsoft says its a security measure, I say its annoyance.
    Reading helps. Also with messages and error messages. It is a choice of each user to read and understand if he should accept a system change or not, the UAC lists the path of the file very well also we have different windows that displays severe of the decision.

Disabling index service has benefit on SSDs.
    Can you name one?

Again, I appreciate this thread but some suggestions are not applicable for everyday users, and the headline (prepare your PC for massive battles) gives a wrong intention of what these configurations will do. The "improvements" I claim here to be changed will not mainly improve your FPS. Feel free to proove the opposite.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 02, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Steam gives me a warning every time I start it up now; I just click cancel and it seems to run ok. Is this how it should be?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

What have you changed before that?
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    What have you changed before that?
    msconfig, services, disabled Steam Client Service.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

you should not disable the steam services it seems the service enables to run Steam with higher rights and he needs it.

although i applaud this guide only thing that is going to get your pc ready for massive battles is a better overclocked cpu and a more powerfull gpu.

this tweaks might help but really arent going to massively affect your framerate.

tbh i dont mess around with any of this stuff (well i go into msconfig for my ssd). i do remember perhaps changing your pagefile might help in certain situations and yes having a correctly configured nv control panel/catalyst is very important.

p.s so i tend to agree with elvenkind. big caveat with some of this stuff (i.e beware).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; September 03, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Totalheadache
    I am certain you haven't even read first post. Everything is written there.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

In case of FPS performance cryo I have to confirm Totalheadache. You should rename your thread into Windows optimisation tipps, not dedicated for FPS improvement. By the way the nvidia tips I had for Shogun 2 (FXAA and number of threads) do not apply for Rome 2 at all.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

In case of FPS performance cryo I have to confirm Totalheadache. You should rename your thread into Windows optmisations tipps, not dedicated for FPS improvement.
    Introduction of the OP explain the purpose of the guide. There is not a wingle word regarding the FPS enhancement. People don't read that's all.

By the way the nvidia tips I had for Shogun 2 (FXAA and number of threads) do not apply for Rome 2 at all.
    It doesnt seem that anything is working in Rome 2. SLI doesn't work, it really seems that even when you enable all the graphic settings, some of them simply dont work. Game looks way different compare to screenshots. Currently using fxaa, aa x4 and adaptive vsync with buffering. That gave me ~7fps more according to benchmark. However benchmark is locked at 66 FPS ( ??? why 66 ).

So currently I cant really even test anything until they enable second card usage ( sli/crossfire ).

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

thanks for finding that out. well it may be it is your OP but your thread title lures

Thank you for the effort and I'm looking forward to seeing if people have some success with this. I think I will still be holding off form buying the game regardless until CA fixes these issues with some official patches.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Last edited by alQamar; September 04, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

alQamar I certainly will buddy, however forums barely works these days. I need to refresh page ~20 times to open it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

yep I already told GED but I think he is quite aware of it. They are working on the issue though.

yep I already told GED but I think he is quite aware of it. They are working on the issue though.
    Well it seems the only way to solve this issue is to upgrade the website hardware. There are far too many people using website and hardware doesn't seem to be able to process all that.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    How many were affected world wide? All my systems were not. Business or private.
    When you release about 200 fixes in a half year would you really mind they make ONE mistake, not really. I am working as a Windows sys admin since 2001, going to be certified as Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Windows 2008 R2 / 2012 server, which includes a very good understanding of Windows 7 / 8 aswell, from October 2013.

Through all these 12 years of business I faced only 3 or 4 patches that went horribly wrong, in this case you probably have a representative test group for updates that you do not have at home. But the quote of failed updates is really small, so that I still say I trust the Microsoft Q&A.
    Well, I don`t like to argue over Windows screw-ups with someone who is working as Windows sys admin..

Only thing is, when Windows Update screws your system, and you can`t get the system back to previous status by using System Restore or similar methods, then you have to pay someone to fix it for you ( if you don` know how to do it yourself ), and it is not Microsoft who will pay for fixing THEIR screw ups, but the user.
    These times are mostly over man, Windows updates, if set this way will only install the same drivers than provided by nvidia, Intel and AMD. They only publish certified drivers, and so they are not screwing your system anymore.
    This was different some years ago when they released customized drivers. Now they use the same setup that you DL at the vendors.
    Yes, but using automatic Windows updates rather than Manual can install driver versions which actually screw your current GPU driver version, I have that problem since the last Windows Update and had to roll back GPU driver and reinstall couple of games.

Reading helps. Also with messages and error messages. It is a choice of each user to read and understand if he should accept a system change or not, the UAC lists the path of the file very well also we have different windows that displays severe of the decision.
    That is why I said in one of my previous posts that disabling UAC is not for NOOBS..

Can you name one?
    Indexing performs numerous small write operations to maintain the database of file indexes when you create, modify or delete files. And, as you already know, the fewer writes there are to an SSD, the longer it will perform well.

Again, I appreciate this thread but some suggestions are not applicable for everyday users, and the headline (prepare your PC for massive battles) gives a wrong intention of what these configurations will do. The "improvements" I claim here to be changed will not mainly improve your FPS. Feel free to proove the opposite.
    This ain`t my thread, I never said these changes will improve FPS, as totalheadache said, good GPU and CPU with OC can improve FPS.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast