Thread: Name of units in ITW

Default Name of units in ITW

In ITW we are working hard the accuracy historical. We want have a game historical and realist because these two things, handled with success, bring greater playability and diversion.

In this footpath, always he is interesting to drill the opinion of the players. For that reason we want to see that you think on the name of the units.

three options:

1- name unit in culture language:

By example: Cartague in punic language -
    (5 examples)
    - habbim
    - kabhed ba'al parash I-Shaphan
    - Kêna'ani K-Kart-Hadašt
    - ba'al parash I-Shaphan
    - Mda Räbhab

2- name unit in your language:
    (for me, spanish)

Elfefantes
    Caballería hispana
    infantería punica

or english:

elephants
    Spanish cavalry

3- Both languages

three options more:

-Habbin (elephants)
    -Elephants (habbin)
    -another method

What you think about it?

Numahr's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Name of units in ITW

Hi Ibidil!

I wait eagerly for the next release of your MOD.

Having the historical names is nice to avoid the feeling that all units are the same, just the color of the shirt changes... it really helps the immersion in other MODs to speak of "hypatists" versus "principes" rather than "Macedonian heavy inf." versus "Roman heavy inf.".

Now the names you mention are not as well-known as my examples.

So.... your third option seems perfect to me!

Good luck with every thing

The more historical accuracy, the better IMHO.

I would go with option 1.

Though you could by all means type, in the unit description, what the native word means....

Great mod!!

3a seems like a nice balance - i.e. "habbin (elephants)".
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

In spanish forums win three option for now.

They prupose: HABBIM (elephants) or Habbim -elephants-. In general, they think, name native normal + name spanish or english reduced. By example:

kabhed ba'al parash I-Shaphan -spanish cavalry-

The punic names are long , other factions have more short names, how gauls (we have managed to decline from the gaul) Orgetomari, it is unit of heavy infantry.

Our aim is to do the game both historic and playable, we hope to be in the right way

Saludos.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I agree with the result of the Spanish poll, that is to have the Punic name first followed by the Spanish or English name in brackets.

Glad to see that your team is trying to achieve greater historical accuracy, Good luck!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

I concur in what Caracatus is saying, to show the native name first in all language packs for ITW, followed by the translation of that name in the language of the pack in question (within brackets). Alternatively, in order to save space when placing the marker over the units just to identify them on the battle field, to show just their native name, but when (in pause mode) double-clicking up the comprehensive unit card info about them include a translation of that name in the description. That way the full and long translation could be given without messing things up.
    Native names really add up to the feeling of an unique and historical game!
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 15, 2006 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Clarification
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Finally:

Habbim [elephants]

kabhed ba'al parash I-Shaphan [spanish cavalry]

Other names no need traslation:

Hastati
    Principes

Or they are short and easy of see:

Ambhiacti
    Orgetomari
    Bhend
    Nekue

Saludos

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritus
    Alternatively, in order to save space when placing the marker over the units just to identify them on the battle field, to show just their native name, but when (in pause mode) double-clicking up the comprehensive unit card info about them include a translation of that name in the description. That way the full and long translation could be given without messing things up.
    Native names really add up to the feeling of an unique and historical game!
    Exactly what I think. But either option is good, since we get the native name anyway.