Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If something goes wrong, I don't re-load...

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: If something goes wrong, I don't re-load...

Nothing wrong with securing your campaign progress, if you are hit by a crash. I feel far worse for having moments of rage in Medieval 2, when a "good" ally backstabbed me and laid siege to an important settlement as a declaration of War. Those moments caused a horde of "Rogans" to march across the battlemap and put the populace of my dear ally to the sword, or shall we say, gunned down?

The OP: Play like me or you suck...
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    Because it's really demoralising and a massive hassle to lose one of your grand plans or a crucial army defending several provinces, and when you can just try again it seems reasonable
    I may well reload if I spent many turns moving somewhere, because I don't have the patience to do it all over. I remember rare traits in EB and trying to transfer them, but the General suddenly dies of old age.
    I think I am getting lazy in my old age, because in the past I didn't cheat.
    I played campaigns up to 2 months straight, just for them to crash, EB, RSII and Nappy have all done this and my previous save points don't work or I can't get past the crash. These problems tend to make me want to cheat just to get back to where I was.

But I must say these games are more epic when you don't reload, when say you fight a glorious last stand somewhere remote, which you didn't see coming because you don't always advance under a cloud of spies.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I remember back before I played with a battle timer the AI would attack my city/castle with a stronger army and just sit there doing nothing forcing me to come out and lose to them or quit the battle.
    LOL!!! In hindsight, it is really quite funny when the AI does something like this but when you're playing it's incredibly frustrating

Rogans
    WOLOLO
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

I will sometimes save and reload if an auto resolved battle I was majorly favored in (not just slightly) somehow tesults in a crushing defeat. I figgure it's a sign I should play the battle (which often turns out to be very fun)

in Rome one I would reload a save if I was attacking an army but couldn't beat then because the slope on the battle map was soooo steep that none of my troops could move and the timer would runout, cuz that is just a silly reason to louse (I don't expect that feature to make a return cuz if it does I'm gonna be ***ed
    "Caution, Sir! I am eternally tired of hearing that word caution. It is nothing but the word of cowardice!" -John Brown

I save and reload in the old games when auto-resolve is unpredictable, i.e. outnumber them by 2000 men, lost 1990 men! WTF
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Travisfv's Avatar Tiro

I remember once in Shogun 2 I had engaged in a losing war due to an ally being attacked and I myself was unprepared. I lost my home province, and my Daimyo and his 3 sons took refuge in another castle. I bided my time. I rebuilt slowly. I managed after 20 years in game to retake my home, and beat my enemies back and turn them into vassals.

My most epic moment in Total War. I could have restarted at as save that I'd have an advantage, but sticking through it made me fight harder to regain glory.
    When life gives you lemons, let sleeping dogs lie.

I lie to myself.. I say I'm saving before a battle just in case I get a CTD. I know deep down inside that I will restart if things go terribly wrong

I hope to change this terrible habit in Rome 2
    Steam name: Hezro the Mighty

I reload more often than I'd like to but I still suffer defeats and move on. If I have a really nice plan going and it gets completely ruined by an ally stabbing me in the back then I usually reload. I always tell myself when I start a new campaign "ok this time I won't reload no matter what happens," and I usually stick to it for a while but then I fall off the wagon

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; August 31, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

"I always tell myself when I start a new campaign "ok this time I won't reload no matter what happens," and I usually stick to it for a while but then I fall off the wagon"

EXACTLY!!
    Steam name: Hezro the Mighty

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Friedman View Post
    I noticed in another thread that quite a few members here save before every battle and every turn, and then re-load if they lose the battle or lose a province etc.

To be honest I think that takes half the fun away. Why would you re-load until you win each battle or to prevent a spy from dying. Why not just play on Easy so you dont have to bother.

Does anyone else not reload their previous save if they lose a battle or something else goes wrong? To me most of the fun comes from the unexpectedness and how to manage my campaign.
    Why is it so important to you to know how everyone else plays their game? Does your own fun with anything so depend on uniformity?
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

The beauty of Ctrl+S. I hope it makes a return!

The amount of shizzle that has gotten me out of :O
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

PumpkinBread's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sharpe View Post
    Why? Why do you care? Why does it matter? Let people play how they want to play, and you play how you want to play.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by HezrotheMighty View Post
    "I always tell myself when I start a new campaign "ok this time I won't reload no matter what happens," and I usually stick to it for a while but then I fall off the wagon"

EXACTLY!!
    I knew I wasn't the only one who thought this, I get really attached to the way things are going, IE Generals, plans I have and sometimes I reload and move a General so much that he stays alive so long his life resets to 0 LOL seriously I've had it happen, it's around 127 years old

I have to admit, I always did it in Shogun 2 and never actually completed a Shogun 2 single player campaign. Maybe I should really stop doing it XD

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Icon8 Re: If something goes wrong, I don't re-load...

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelwulf Winterfylleth View Post

- The main one (which I SERIOUSLY hope is fixed in Rome II because it's ing annoying...). When the AI has clearly lost the battle, but decides to run it's final unit of chariots or cavalry around the battlefield so your tired infantry can't catch them. This runs the timer down and you'll obviously lose because of the battle timer. Absolutely pathetic when the AI does that but fortunately it's only happened about 2 - 3 times
    This.

The ones that bugged me the most in Rome 1 were Eastern horse archer factions. The amount of time I lost trying to catch up with and run those bastards down. Damned annoying!

And in Medieval2 I hate the Muslim horse archer units - fight like men you ing cowards!

I always save in case there's a glitch or something really stupid happens, like that I make an army retreat from an attack and it just simply disappears.

I only reload when auto-resolve throws a curve ball and decides that my stack suffered a crushing defeat to an army 1/3 the size with weaker units. I've heard Rome 2 has fixed the small army spam problem and weak settlement defense so hopefully auto-resolve won't be needed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post

The OP: Play like me or you suck...
    lol what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sharpe View Post
    Why? Why do you care? Why does it matter? Let people play how they want to play, and you play how you want to play.
    You're right. Let's never discuss anything again. Mods, just shut the forum down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Friedman View Post
    I noticed in another thread that quite a few members here save before every battle and every turn, and then re-load if they lose the battle or lose a province etc.

To be honest I think that takes half the fun away. Why would you re-load until you win each battle or to prevent a spy from dying. Why not just play on Easy so you dont have to bother.

Does anyone else not reload their previous save if they lose a battle or something else goes wrong? To me most of the fun comes from the unexpectedness and how to manage my campaign.

Agree.

I just use quicksave before battles in case of a CTD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast