Thread: [Released] Customized Darthmod V5

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

Default [Released] Customized Darthmod V5

I've made a customized version of Darthmod (version 5.0) to change a few things to suit my tastes. I've no experience modding so I'm likely to make a lot of mistakes getting everything balanced just-right. Anyway, I'm only going to have it uploaded to the Steam Workshop so I don't have to dance between two different sites to keep it all up-to-date. If you're interested, check here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=174026113

Here's my "Modus Operandi"--or, rather, here's what I'm trying to accomplish and how I'm trying to go about doing it. Please let me know if you have any advise, comments or criticisms.

[ ECONOMY ]

The end-goal of my Darthmod modification is to make combat more dangerous--and more dangerous combat means a lot more casualties. To balance out the increased losses one is likely to suffer in the battelfied, I've adjusted the economy to provide additional income.

Increased Commerce GDP for all applicable buildings by 200.
    Increased Farm GDP for all applicable buildings by 50.
    Increased Industry GDP for all applicable buildings by 500.
    Increased Mine GDP for all applicable buildings by 100.
    Increased Port GDP for all applicable buildings by 300.
    Increased Food Provision for all applicable buildings by 1.
    Decreased negative modernization effects by 50%.

[ UPKEEP ]

I often feel like the grand campaign is a little too constrained for my tastes. I've very slightly adjusted the upkeep models to allow for a bit more wiggle-room--navies are more expensive to maintain, but armies are a little cheaper to maintain meaning you should be able to use a few more units than you could otherwise in the early game, and a few additional armies in the late game.

Increased upkeep for all artillery units by 10.
    Decreased upkeep for all cavalry units by 10.
    Decreased upkeep for all melee infantry units by 30.
    Decreased upkeep for all ranged infantry units by 20.
    Increased upkeep for all heavy navy units by 20.
    Decreased upkeep for all light navy units by 25.
    Increased upkeep for all medium navy units by 5.
    Increased upkeep for all merchant navy units by 50.

[COMBAT]

My main gripe with combat is that it's too "clean." You'll see 100+ archers fire a volley of 100+ arrows into a dense formation of lightly-armored infantry... and only two arrows will hit. You'll see a formation of 1000 troops smash into another formation of 1000 troops... and they'll slowly grind against each other. To make combat more realistically visceral--faster, bloodier, more dangerous--I adjusted a number of different values, focusing primarily on increasing the accuracy of ranged units and the melee potential of cavalry and melee infantry. (All defensive variables were left unchanged).

Increased marksmanship for all ranged (bow) cavalry by 10.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (musket) cavalry by 2.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (bow) infantry by 20.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (musket) infantry by 5.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (rifle) infantry by 10.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (rocket) infantry by 1.
    Increased marksmanship for all ranged (sling) infantry by 2.
    Increased marksmanship for all artillery units by 5.
    Increased melee attack for all melee infantry by 1.
    Increased melee attack for all melee cavalry by 2.
    Increased charge bonus for all melee infantry by 1.
    Increased charge bonus for all melee cavalry by 5.
    Increased charge bonus for all ranged cavalry by 1.

And, of course, this is a modified version of Darthmod v5.0, so all of the Darthmod modifications are in effect... so, it's like a mod of a mod? Weird.
    Last edited by Mwulf; August 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li

Default Re: [Released] Customized Darthmod V5

Downloaded and am booting shogun up right now. If this works as intended (I have several other mods) I will get back to you on performance.

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Released] Customized Darthmod V5

Thank you, I'd appreciate any feedback.

I'm still working on the mod and trying to improve it, so feel free to advise me, too.
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li