Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

Default Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

I've pre-ordered the Disc version of Rome 2 from Gamestop. I also opted for express delivery which should take 1 -2 working days (most likely 2) to be delivered.

However, if I don't get confirmation tomorrow that they have shipped it then I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order with them and just going with the Steam version.

My reasoning, they have to ship the game tomorrow so that I get delivery of the disc(s)/activation key on Monday, a day before the unlock on Steam. If they ship on Friday, then I don't get the game disc(s) until some time on Tuesday 3rd.
    However, I live in Ireland (timezone = GMT/UTC) so the game will unlock on Steam from 8am that morning. So, on the morning of 3rd I'll be left sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the delivery guy to drop the disc through my letterbox. When he does, I'll then have to run the install/load. After that, I'll have to download the day 1 patch. Then, and only then, will I be able to start playing Rome 2. That could be half the day wasted by that stage!

Alternatively, with the Steam version and pre-load, all I'll have to do once the unlock happens at 8am on Tuesday 3rd is download and apply the day 1 patch, and then start playing!

So, to cut a long story short, if you've ordered a boxed copy form Amazon/Zavi/Gamestop etc. and want to play the game as soon as possible after the unlock, then if you don't receive shipping confirmation tomorrow (with a delivery date on or before next Monday 2nd), then you'd be better off cancelling your pre-order and buying Rome 2 on Steam!

Otherwise you could be wasting half your day waiting for delivery, installing and patching, rather than enjoying the delights of Rome 2!

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

Steam is the way to go unless you are getting the collectors edition. I already have my Rome 2 pre-loaded and will be ready to go a few minutes after it unlocks.

Default Re: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

Unless you have slow Internet and hard copy is faster anyways

Amazon guarantied that Rome II will arrive before 3pm on 3th september. In germany rome 2 will be unlocked at 7pm.
    Last edited by Nihahs; August 28, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Yep it's a problem for those who like a hard copy like myself, and who don't like steam's prices(it's the principle of the thing), and for companies like Amazon who know they loose sales if the orders don't reach us in time.
    I think there are very few of us, who if off work/school don't want to play 1st day.

Me, I'm still running around getting my new PC gremlins sorted on the 7.1 sound front, on the last day before 4 days of work. So it would be nice if Amazon bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by zagy20 View Post
    +1. Y use steam if not on sale???

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I was going to get the physical copy but the fact that UPS delivers at 7pm to my new house (didn't know that before today) and the preload being smaller than I thought got me to cancel my preorder and buy on steam.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Nihahs View Post
    Amazon garantied that Rome II will arrive before 3pm on 3th september. In germany rome 2 will be unlocked at 7pm.
    Eh, no, buddy, you need to go check your info there!

As per today's announcement about the pre-load and unlock, Rome 2 will unlock in your region (Germany) at 09:00am on the morning of September 3rd!

As such, if you're waiting until 3pm in the afternoon just for the discs to arrive then you'll have missed 6 hours of potential Rome 2 goodness that you could have had if you'd gotten it on Steam and
    were off work/school to play it!

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon with free shipping; now I have to wait till september 13th :|

P.S. even though I pre-ordered from Amazon, I'll still get the dlc(s) right?

How long should the hard copy take to install?

Lathrim's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by jsilva89 View Post
    +1. Y use steam if not on sale???
    Can't answer for the OP but Steam is actually cheaper than physical stores where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Derkon View Post

As per today's announcement about the pre-load and unlock, Rome 2 will unlock in your region (Germany) at 09:00am on the morning of September 3rd!

As such, if you're waiting until 3pm in the afternoon just for the discs to arrive then you'll have missed 6 hours of potential Rome 2 goodness that you could have had if you'd gotten it on Steam and
    They don't ship the game until at least a day before the game releases. So the game release is different from pre-load. If you think that they will ship the game in accordance with steam preloads then you're out of luck.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

All are welcome to dark (steam) side!

Guys, hot off the press!

Green Man Gaming (www.greenmangaming.com) is currently selling Rome 2 with the Greek Culture Pack and immediate preload at a 21% discount versus the Steam price. For me that works out at €43, versus a Steam price of €55!

Furthermore, that's actually cheaper than my physical copy from Gamestop which was going to cost me €45 including shipping.

That's decided it, I'm cancelling the Gamestop pre-order and going with Green Man Gaming!

Will post an update shortly!

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Meh I live in Scotland, and have a job, and I'm studying my Riving theory test, I'm not too fussed about it arriving "a few hours late" be patient and wait, it will be worth the wait

Quote Originally Posted by Derkon View Post

God damn, i thought he ment 9pm. If you're right I CANCEL MY PREORDER and get the steam version. I'm gonna look it up tomorrow (thursday) cause now i'm laying in my bed and looking tv and helding my mobile phone in my hands :-P

I pre-ordered a hard copy of amazon, and while it would be nice to have it pre-loaded on my computer I'm not too worried about having to wait a few extra hours to install from the disc and then download the day 1 patch stuff. Besides, I may not even get to play on release day due to work anyways.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Quote Originally Posted by Lathrim View Post
    Can't answer for the OP but Steam is actually cheaper than physical stores where I live.
    Cant argue with that. But if you can stomach a digital download though, try greenmangaming.com.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

It would be slightly cheaper for Gamestop for me, and I was sure I'd preorder from Gamestop, but now I'm not sure. I am now holding out hope for the slim chance I win the Writer's Study Rome II competition, and get a free copy. If not, I'll just preorder on Steam the last day.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast