Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

Default Re: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

pffff at least you live in the British Isles. I am in the same position as you, and my copy is coming from the UK, but I live in AUS. soooooooo
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Default Re: Why it might be better to cancel your physical copy pre-order and get the Steam version instead!

I got the runaround from Gamestop and even worse a very cavalier attitude about them being at a business disadvantage. I guess when your stock has pulled a doubler so far this year you get to care less about things, especially PC things. So long Gamestop, it was nice knowing you.

Pre-d/ling right now on Steam.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

i was getting a hard copy purely because i couldnt be bothered downloading 35GB. That was untill ofcourse my friend bought the digital version and told me that it was only 9.9 GB which is'nt bad at all

Hats of to CA for making it a smooth process.
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Irishman's Avatar Let me out of my mind

Unless they explicitly state release delivery, they likely wont ship before release date. You can still get the code from getgamesgo for 22% off, which is what I did (and already have the code).

Quote Originally Posted by Derkon View Post
    Guys, hot off the press!

Green Man Gaming (www.greenmangaming.com) is currently selling Rome 2 with the Greek Culture Pack and immediate preload at a 21% discount versus the Steam price. For me that works out at €43, versus a Steam price of €55!
    Furthermore, that's actually cheaper than my physical copy from Gamestop which was going to cost me €45 including shipping.
    That's decided it, I'm cancelling the Gamestop pre-order and going with Green Man Gaming!
    Will post an update shortly!
    Lol ggg beat it by 1%
    Last edited by Irishman; August 28, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
    The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Under the perspicacious and benevolent patronage of the great and honorable Rez and a member of S.I.N

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.

Okay Folks, update!

About half an hour ago I cancelled my Gamestop (physical copy) pre-order which would have cost me €45 and wouldn't have arrived until Tuesday lunchtime at the earliest!

In it's place, about 15 minutes ago I bought an Activation Key from Green Man Gaming for €43 (including a key for the Greek Culture Pack) and my Rome 2 pre-load is now DONE!

Roll on 8am Tuesday morning (I'm off work). I think I'll get up around 7, make myself a nice cuppa joe, read some news on the Web, and then, around 8:30 (once the day 1 patch is installed) start my first campaign as the Romans!

Might break for lunch once I've conquered Italia!

TBH, I prefer to maximize the most value for my money. Why pay the same price on steam and get less (no box, physical disc, etc.)? Unless you have no shelf space...

I've been waiting for a year so I can wait a few more hours/days.

P.S. I also wonder who gets cost savings from the lack of physical production. Steam or CA?

Okay Folks, update!

About half an hour ago I cancelled my Gamestop (physical copy) pre-order which would have cost me €45 and wouldn't have arrived until Tuesday lunchtime at the earliest!

In it's place, about 15 minutes ago I bought an Activation Key from Green Man Gaming for €43 (including a key for the Greek Culture Pack) and my Rome 2 pre-load is now DONE!

Roll on 8am Tuesday morning (I'm off work). I think I'll get up around 7, make myself a nice cuppa joe, read some news on the Web, and then, around 8:30 (once the day 1 patch is installed) start my first campaign as the Romans!

Might break for lunch once I've conquered Italia!
    Question for you. The greenman gaming is a digital copy or a physical copy with the ability to pre-download? Also is this a company in the U.S.? If I live in U.S. will it mess up my game key cause its a european based company?
    [CONTENTBOX][/CONTENTBOX]

Troll Face

Intel i5 3570K (4.2Ghz @ 1.215v); ASUS Z87 Gryphon; 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro; GTX 780; Corsair AX760i; Noctua NH-U12S; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB; WD Black 1TB; Windows 7

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

Unless of course the download file size is ing ridiculous and you use up all of your internet in a day.

It shouldn't matter where you got the code from, it will unlock world wide at the same time.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Pre order from amazon uk and an Irish customer.
    You will not get the disk until the 5th or 6th of September
    Amazon are posting on the 3rd of September.
    To another query Amazon are including the Greek faction in the pre order disk sale.
    Steam seems to be updating a lot in the last 24 hours for some reason.?

sponsered by the noble Prisca

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sharpe View Post
    How long should the hard copy take to install?
    Depends on your hardware. If you have like quad core, lots of ram and fast hard disk it will be fast. With the day 1 patch download etc it probably will take 1 hours altogether (if you have a far internet connection).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Depends on your hardware. If you have like quad core, lots of ram and fast hard disk it will be fast. With the day 1 patch download etc it probably will take 1 hours altogether (if you have a far internet connection).
    Thanks. So some of it will also be downloaded off of steam?

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

...However, if I don't get confirmation tomorrow that they have shipped it then I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order with them and just going with the Steam version...
    To cancel one's pre-order is to demonstrate a lack of moral compass.

I have voluntarily entered into a barter contract with another party. A portion of my monetary wealth has already been given in good faith. They, in turn, will uphold their end of the contract when the item arrives on my porch. They have done nothing to this point that would suggest their end of the barter is not being upheld. Cancelling at this point of the contract does not show a lack of faith. Rather, it shows a lack of moral compass on my end.

I will enjoy Rome II when it arrives. But I will not be waiting for it. No. A game of this caliber, and in this series, will be played for years. A few days here or there on the front end will be forgotten by then. It will not matter in a year from now, so I won't let it matter now.

I shall instead be going about my lifelong pursuits of purpose and substance. And part of that substance is my word. I do not have much. True. But the value I place on my word trumps any treasure saved by re-ordering elsewhere or cancelling altogether. My moral compass remains true...and points the way for all my dealings, financial or otherwise.

Keep your moral compass. Keep your word. Keep your pre-order intact.
    Last edited by Nefarious; August 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

You would get it faster, but I expect most of the people buying the physical copy are people with crap internet. Like me.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Steam is so expensive. I got it locally for half price, get with the program people.

What you say? If you buy it on Steam you get to pre-load it and play it on release? Is that worth double cash? That's right, it's not. Learning is fun, right?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sharpe View Post
    Unless you have slow Internet and hard copy is faster anyways
    Nah even with slow internet... the download is only 9.9 GB... it is compressed. At the time of release it will unpack upon instalation.
    Honestly steam is theonly way to go anyway. with disc or no disc you will need steam to play it anyway.

I already have Rome II in my PC at this moment with the steam preload.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Nah even with slow internet... the download is only 9.9 GB... it is compressed. At the time of release it will unpack upon instalation.
    Honestly steam is theonly way to go anyway. with disc or no disc you will need steam to play it anyway.

I already have Rome II in my PC at this moment with the steam preload.
    Hmm, maybe so... Maybe next one I will get off steam. I can't wait!!!!!! The time it takes to install will probably kill me, I'll do nothing but stare at te installing bar the whole time. Loooool

Nah even with slow internet... the download is only 9.9 GB
    Only 10GB hey? That's like, 5 hours of downloading in Australia. Install it off a disc and it takes 30-60 minutes. Wait for that update, maybe 1 hour, and you're playing it 3 hours before everyone else.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have no problem with waiting a bit longer for a lot cheaper game (30 £ versus 54,99 €) than I would get through Steam.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

^
    Someone else that isn't impatient +rep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast