Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date( R2 Interview)

Default Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date( R2 Interview)

Why do i keep hearing from CA staff "Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date"

Look at the mods of Rome TW, Medieval 2 Total War and the changes they have done clearly they are the most moddable
    with shogun 2 you can hardly mod anything.

edited due to reply from CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    The campaign map can be changed. We gave out the tools needed for that. New models can be made as well. We are not lying, Shogun 2 is the most moddable TW game. There is a hell of a lot that is open for modders in the database that was hardcoded back in Rome and Medieval II.

It just takes a lot more work to make mods like Third Age, because it takes a lot more work for us to make the game as well. I'd also remind everyone that many of these mods took years to make.
    Last edited by TheNewKing; August 27, 2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: edited due to reply from CA :)

Default Re: Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date( R2 Interview)

dp
    Last edited by TheNewKing; August 27, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

shogun 2 is the most modabble, just alot harder

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Clearly "most moddable" is relativly so you can find arguments for and against it.
    Most common argument for it from the community is : TW modders are lazy
    What I am sure no one from CA will want to answer you is the simple question : Can I make a mod to unlock other factions and make them available for the player?

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    Can I make a mod to unlock other factions and make them available for the player?
    yes and its already been done

"Most moddable" ,for me, means total conversions and it's clear that it becomes harder and harder to make total conversions in the last TW. The thing is also that we lack modellers in our community and for making a total conversion you need people who can do 3d model. A lot of mods have died because the team couldn't find a modeller.

If they want their game be totally modable too, they need to stop locking things and also hardcoded things.

If they release tools, they must look as TED, the editor of maps of shogun 2. The others tools or codes are far too complicated for most of the possible modders because of the competence needed and also time needed and of course it's not a question of lazyness, we have families, work and others hobbies, we can dedicate our life to understand all that stuff, above all if you have all to learn since the beginning. It's why tool like TED allow everybody to try modding, new modders and confirmed modders, those who have little time and those who have plenty.
    Last edited by panzerschreck; August 27, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Virtanen's Avatar Civis

Basically what gittany is saying.

If modders don't have the time/interest/skill to make mods as large as for M2tw or Rome 1, that's not a fault in Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
    Basically what gittany is saying.

If modders don't have the time/interest/skill to make mods as large as for M2tw or Rome 1, that's not a fault in Shogun 2.
    no im just saying it is the most moddable but its alot more harder...

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKing View Post
    Why do i keep hearing from CA staff "Shogun 2 is our most moddable Total War to date"
    thats clearly aload of bollocks.

Look at the mods of Rome TW, Medieval 2 Total War and the changes they have done clearly they are the most moddable
    with shogun 2 you can hardly mod anything.

Why are CA clearly lying?
    No, CA is not lying but you misunderstand. There's a big different between most moddable and most modded. Most moddable depends on CA, in terms of official support etc and no one can deny compared ti the unpacker and docudemons for M2TW and some raw files for ETW/NTW, with Shogun 2 CA did not just officially given (and supported) 2 official tools (TEd and Assembly Kit) but even a place to officially host the mods (Steam workshop).

Shogun 2 also allowed many many access to stuff that RTW/M2TW modders those years have only dream off.

Most modded does not depends on CA but on modders (or the community) itself. The very own success of the old mods brought attention and probably new people to Total War series but unfortunately when many of the old modders retired not many new generations are willing to take up the mantle.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by gittany View Post
    shogun 2 is the most modabble, just alot harder
    Can you point me to the Third Age: Total War version that's compatible with Shogun 2?

Oh, right. There isn't one. Beacause the Steam-era TW game maps can't be modified.

Well, at least there's some decent model upda- oh, adding new models is really hard. Uh...Well...

We've got lots of faction reskins, right? Reskins are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post
    Can you point me to the Third Age: Total War version that's compatible with Shogun 2?

Oh, right. There isn't one. Beacause the Steam-era TW game maps can't be modified.

Well, at least there's some decent model upda- oh, adding new models is really hard. Uh...Well...

actually the maps can be modified go do some reserch and come back

TWc modders are all but "lazy" mate and CA knows well that...

Virtanen's Avatar Civis

no im just saying it is the most moddable but its alot more harder...
    Which is what I said aswell.

actually the maps can be modified go do some reserch and come back
    All it requires is some $3,000 software and the ability to figure out CA's code. Highly moddable indeed.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

As shogun 2 has more features then Rtw and Med2Tw , you can mod more. But what percentage of the game you can really mod with shogun 2? It does not seem as high as the percentage you can mod of Rtw or Med2Tw. I´m 100% behind the opinion that rtw an m2tw are better moddable and most moddable TW game.

great post i was just going to reply with mods like that.
    Clearly this is impossible to do in Shogun 2.
    so my post is correct in saying they are clearly lying.

its not the because of the lack of modders the only reason there are less modders
    is due to the lack of tools CA supply. And make it impossible to mod the campaign maps.
    Last edited by TheNewKing; August 27, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
    Which is what I said aswell.
    sorry i miss read

and swerg http://steamcommunity.com/app/34330/...5554666984458/ first thing on google

Miles

Ah the typical avarage gamer with zero knowledge about anything game development related.

The only reason for the lack of Total conversions in shogun 2 is the learning curve and the fact most modders are lazy or couldn't be bothered to spend their spare time in learning new tools.

The few modders whom remained to mod warscape TW games cannot create total conversions in a couple of days. You'll need a team for such a thing.

Most modded =/= Most moddable. Learn.Facts. Just once.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

If someone or some group of really dedicated people have free time then it's really possible. Shogun 2 was released a little more than 2 years ago and the mod tools even less.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...07&searchtext=
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...38&searchtext=

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

to be a modeller for empire-ntw-s2tw-r2tw is not an easy task.its not possible to make simple models as we did in milkshape for rtw and m2tw.

look at the s2tw models.see the quality.to make such kind models are very hard,time consuming and it takes minumum 4-5 years modelling experience with 3dsx max or maya.

as for me i am able to make up to date quality game,tv characters but why i should do them for free?(i ll spent too much time,too much energy)ca workers taking money for this.

as i said before it was too easy.i talk about rtw m2tw modding.open milkshape delete merge parts etc.but now for shogun 2 or rome2 u must make excellent quality units.and i dont see anyone in twc who can deal with this?as for me without getting cash i ll not spend times,efforts from my life.

total war modding is finished.this is my last word.because for me the most important things to change are units and map.

check out my gallery

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-gallery/page2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast