Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does the Spartan in the Rome 2 Intro trailer wield a Gladius?

Primicerius

Default Re: Why does the Spartan in the Rome 2 Intro trailer wield a Gladius?

The OP made a good observation. I'd like hardcore armchair historians to bear in mind that equipment was not standard at the time and that arms were just one of the many commodities traded in the ancient world. The Gladius does seem to be a superior sword to the Kopis or Xiphos so perhaps some Greeks bought them or scavenged them. Just and idea.

By the way, is this trailer official?

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Now I would wish to see proof Spartans definitely did not use the gladius at the time.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Lavrentivs's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    Now I would wish to see proof Spartans definitely did not use the gladius at the time.

THERE. So you can stop spouting off now! gooood I do have one idea though, that because Sparicus was before the battle of the Thermop.... 300, he would have brought gladiuses swords back with him after he killed crassus and took his catapults!

Also on Google images portray them different:

We can obviously see that Spartuns would have had arabic curved type swords, so he shouldn't really have gladiuses, he should have something proper and curved like this:

You are obviously historicly lazy! You dont even bother Google search, which just shoes how much you care!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    (joking obviously lol)

The OP made a good observation. I'd like hardcore armchair historians to bear in mind that equipment was not standard at the time and that arms were just one of the many commodities traded in the ancient world. The Gladius does seem to be a superior sword to the Kopis or Xiphos so perhaps some Greeks bought them or scavenged them. Just and idea.
    Indeed, I posted this before too. No such thing as a uniform of standardised kit back in the day.
    Last edited by Lavrentivs; August 26, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It's pretty obvious that a Spartan using a gladius in the final release of the game will not be the case. How do I know this? Look at Rome 1. Each culture used a different sword. The Romans for example used the gladius, while the Greeks used something that looked a lot like a xiphos or a kopis. It's highly unlikely that they would take a step backwards for Rome II and include such a glaringly obvious fault for us history lovers.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Pre-alpha...
    "Patriotism is the last refuge o' Scoundrel."

-Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by -Concrete- View Post
    My experience on this site is that the whiners absolutely do not have a better knowledge of this time period.
    Well said. +Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rittsy View Post
    Why is there a Spartan in Egypt? Why did he choose to go to Egypt? Does he have a wife and kids back in Sparta? How are they coping with their husband/father being away so long? Is his wife ever tempted by another man? There is a tension between her and her neighbour. Occasionally she catches him staring at her. She knows she should pay no attention, but part of her enjoys it. It makes her feel wanted, needed. Before her husband went to war never in her wildest dreams would she consider straying from her marriage; after-all, they'd been in love since childhood. But with him away, with no one to hold her in those cold, Greek nights...she is tempted. Can we truly blame her for this? She's certain that he strays occasionally, she'd heard stories of him taking every whore in Alexandria after the Spartans stormed the city.

Little does she know her husband has remained faithful. He holds the gladius she gave him, as a constant reminder of her love for him. This love allows him to block out the horrors he had seen. Men he'd fought side-by-side with falling in front of him, their blood staining the sand. She protects him both physically and psychologically.

...or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    i think it was a gift from his old roman friend who served in the legion once but has now retired. that spartan boy was always like the son he never had and so he gave him his sword. it s a pretty moving bromance story actually, and part of CA s new philosophy to show the 'human face' in their games :3
    LOL

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well then, problem solved, just mod the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-astrophic View Post
    They dont care. If this was a WW2 game this would be like giving a thompson smg to a german soldier...
    Which is historically correct

have they answered the questions as to why the Hoplon shields are so small? 3' in diameter does not look that small against a grown man.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    have they answered the questions as to why the Hoplon shields are so small? 3' in diameter does not look that small against a grown man.
    It could be a problem with the larger shields having clipping problems inbetween combat animations.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrentivs View Post

THERE. So you can stop spouting off now! gooood I do have one idea though, that because Sparicus was before the battle of the Thermop.... 300, he would have brought gladiuses swords back with him after he killed crassus and took his catapults!

Also on Google images portray them different:

We can obviously see that Spartuns would have had arabic curved type swords, so he shouldn't really have gladiuses, he should have something proper and curved like this:

You are obviously historicly lazy! You dont even bother Google search, which just shoes how much you care!

(joking obviously lol)

Indeed, I posted this before too. No such thing as a uniform of standardised kit back in the day.
    Well isn't THAT just the dumbest post I've seen today!

"Sparicus" bringing swords back?
    Arabic sword?? haha
    Who's lazy?
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Why is there a Spartan in Egypt? Why did he choose to go to Egypt? Does he have a wife and kids back in Sparta? How are they coping with their husband/father being away so long? Is his wife ever tempted by another man? There is a tension between her and her neighbour. Occasionally she catches him staring at her. She knows she should pay no attention, but part of her enjoys it. It makes her feel wanted, needed. Before her husband went to war never in her wildest dreams would she consider straying from her marriage; after-all, they'd been in love since childhood. But with him away, with no one to hold her in those cold, Greek nights...she is tempted. Can we truly blame her for this? She's certain that he strays occasionally, she'd heard stories of him taking every whore in Alexandria after the Spartans stormed the city.

Little does she know her husband has remained faithful. He holds the gladius she gave him, as a constant reminder of her love for him. This love allows him to block out the horrors he had seen. Men he'd fought side-by-side with falling in front of him, their blood staining the sand. She protects him both physically and psychologically.

...or something.
    That was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Which is historically correct

OMG the lengths people go to defend what is clearly a "lets just put this sword here in the video hoping nobody will notice" kind of choice. -_-

If one guy used a weapon not from his army this doesnt mean all other guys used it too... The majority and for the most time used... german/spartan weapons because they were trained and outfited in their countries of origin.

Spartans used a spear called doru and a sword called xiphos, here is a pic:

They could also use another secondary weapon called kopis:

This can be found in less than 5 minute google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    Why are there 5 black stripes on his head crest instead of 7? Why is there a yellow stripe running along the bottom of his skirt? Why doesn't his cuirass have studded gold inlined bibs? Why doesn't the back of his shield have a pair of fluffy pom poms hanging from the rim? Why isn't he wearing a multi-colored bead bracelet on his wrist?

Canceling my pre-order. Seriously CA, come on.
    And that's a serious reason to cancel pre-order...

...or something.
    I think that is the best post here so far.

nice used it

better?

anyone having trouble seeing their profile picture? looks like mine has disappeared from the hacked site

That looks really damned silly.

Hope it's just a pre-alpha -thing.
    CA needs competition.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast