Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does the Spartan in the Rome 2 Intro trailer wield a Gladius?

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Default Re: Why does the Spartan in the Rome 2 Intro trailer wield a Gladius?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrentivs View Post
    Seconded. A lot of the knowledge that some of the whiners have is merely based on films and silly stereotypes.
    Indeed. This is a very vocal minority with rigid ideas of what is "right" and what is "wrong", while any classical history professor will tell you honestly that it's not that black and white. Most of the time it's guesswork. But that nuance is too complex to comprehend for our amateurs historians.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

double post
    Last edited by smoke; August 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Use your imagination. Let's say his weapon broke and he just picked up the first thing he could find on the ground.

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Where you at Jack Lusted?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by LewisVee View Post
    Where you at Jack Lusted?!?!?
    He's currently buried in a double face-palm after seeing the levels people in this community stoop to in order to complain.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Sup With That? View Post
    He's currently buried in a double face-palm after seeing the levels people in this community stoop to in order to complain.
    I want to say this is the reason but he's on a statutory holiday. Apparently it's a bank holiday their in England. Jack said it himself on his Macedon playthrough thread.

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Clearly a placeholder. In the Macedon playthrough with Al against the AI, you see the Macedonian Skirmishers wielding the curved Greek sword. Not sure of the name. The Greeks will have the appropriate swords come release.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

I wouldnt care what they used, as long as it looks somewhat real. Maybe he picked it up off the ground. It's a trailer, whatever like. Who cares, 8 days.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio (Latin) View Post
    I was watching the intro trailer just now and I realised something I hadn't realised before: Why is the spartan hoplite wielding a spanish Gladius?

Here is a pic:

[IMG
    ][/IMG]
    They dont care. If this was a WW2 game this would be like giving a thompson smg to a german soldier...

Quote Originally Posted by Sup With That? View Post
    More probably relaxing somewhere while you and others do the damage containment job for CA.

OP made a correct observation. Spartans should have kopis or xiphos swords. Instead of agreeing with this small fact some forum goers decided to throw a sarcastic hissy fit at OP. Just another day at TWC I guess.

I find it both funny and sad how the majority of people in this thread are lead to think i'm complaining when all I asked was; "Why is the spartan hoplite wielding a spanish Gladius?" If anything that should lead you to think i'm curious about it RATHER than complaining.
    Seriously you stupid trolls, you know who you are, stop trying to cause pointless arguments and go troll some youtuber if you must, that way you might get more attention from his/her fan boys.

P.S.
    To tell you the truth I couldn't give two about whether or not the spartans use gladius swords in game as Rome 2 is going to be awesome.
    Anyways, the reason I asked was so that if there is a SMART historian visiting this thread he/she could enlighten me as to whether or not it was actually used in reality or if maybe it's just a small blunder CA made.

I was watching the intro trailer just now and I realised something I hadn't realised before: Why is the spartan hoplite wielding a spanish Gladius?

Here is a pic:

[IMG
    ][/IMG]
    Walmart was sold out of Greek Gladius, all they had left was Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-astrophic View Post
    They dont care. If this was a WW2 game this would be like giving a thompson smg to a german soldier...

More probably relaxing somewhere while you and others do the damage containment job for CA.
    Captured thompsons were actually quite popular with the Germans.

Oops double post
    Last edited by clench; August 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

I find it both funny and sad how the majority of people in this thread are lead to think i'm complaining when all I asked was; "Why is the spartan hoplite wielding a spanish Gladius?" If anything that should lead you to think i'm curious about it RATHER than complaining.
    Seriously you stupid trolls, you know who you are, stop trying to cause pointless arguments and go troll some youtuber if you must, that way you might get more attention from his/her fan boys.
    Welcome to the internet. Where I'm 7ft 4inch, an ex-navy seal, own a fortune 500 company and criticise everything.

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is there any proof this is the intro vid besides some photoshop over the starting saying it's the intro video? To me it looks like a beta intro video. I don't think it was finished which is why the Spartan uses a gladius. Maybe he is just some special Spartan unit that uses gladius' but I'm guessing it's not the real intro video. It should just be a set up to them using a gladius' like weapon. IDK. I don't think it's to much to worry about. I don't think they would have Spartan's using gladius' in the game. Looks very wrong.
    Last edited by iWarsaw; August 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobar View Post
    OP made a correct observation. Spartans should have kopis or xiphos swords. Instead of agreeing with this small fact some forum goers decided to throw a sarcastic hissy fit at OP. Just another day at TWC I guess.
    Thanks bro, nice to know there's at least one civilized person on this forums: The rest are either Histroy-Nazis who try to boast about their 'Historical' knowledge in the hope of being known as a 'smart' and respectable person on here which will obviously help them become a history teacher in the future, because it's obviously all connected, so they can earn 20,000 a year and live a happy life in flat. Then there are the trolls, don't even get me started on those, and the imitators who try to imitate Churchill (no names).
    Finally there are the actual historians and the gamers .

double post
    Last edited by Centurio (Latin); August 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rittsy View Post
    Welcome to the internet. Where I'm 7ft 4inch, an ex-navy seal, own a fortune 500 company and criticise everything.
    Sooo true about the internet

i think it was a gift from his old roman friend who served in the legion once but has now retired. that spartan boy was always like the son he never had and so he gave him his sword. it s a pretty moving bromance story actually, and part of CA s new philosophy to show the 'human face' in their games :3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast