Thread: AI Formation help

Default AI Formation help

Hi all, firstly I want to thank the RS team for their splendid work in R.S 2.6.

Secondly, I have been looking at the preferences section from the Lauancher tab and I came a part where you have to select what of yours or ai formation would you like to use. What I need to know is what are the differences between Athenogoras, Sinhuet and Darth formations? Which of the is more effective or close to historical formations?

And also what does affinity means in that section?

I thank you for your answers .
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Default Re: AI Formation help

Athenagoras tried to stick close to historical formations, with things like roman checkerboard.
    As for the most effective, I don't really know, you could try them and see what you like best.

Affinity is the number of core used by your computer when using a program.
    We thought that restricting RTW to one core could improve performance and reduce bug, but it wasn't really clear if it actually did.
    I'm not sure toggling it will do anything anymore, I'll have a look at it, and remove the option if it's not used anymore.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

What is Affinity?

Is there quick explanations about formations?
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

Double post

Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

I have Core i7 920 which has 4 cores and I disabled hyperthreading. Shoud I mark Affinity in the RSII launcher?

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    Athenagoras tried to stick close to historical formations, with things like roman checkerboard.
    As for the most effective, I don't really know, you could try them and see what you like best.
    So no reccomendations which AI formations will be the most challenging to beat? I'm using BI-Alex.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    What is Affinity?

I have Core i7 920 which has 4 cores and I disabled hyperthreading. Shoud I mark Affinity in the RSII launcher?
    'Affinity' is a DOS (command line) command that tells an 'exe' to use only one processor in a multiprocessor machine. So, if your processor has four cores, you can use Affinty to tell the game to use processor '0, 1, 2, or 3'. Yeah, that's weird, the first processor is '0'. It is best not to use processor '0', because usually Windows uses it.

There is a caveat to this however. For example, I have a new MSI laptop with an Intel I5 quad core cpu running at a base 2.6ghz. If I use the Affintiy command to tell RTW to use only one processor, the game becomes quite jerking and weird....like it's being throttled by the cpu. So I don't use the command on it. However, my desktop, with a Pentium4 dual core running at 3.2ghz is a different story. Using Affintiy in this case resulted in a 'significant' improvement in how RTW played. So it all depends on your PC, processor, and whether the command helps or hinders how RTW plays.

As far as formations go, I prefer the 'Pure' Sinuhet AI formations myself, but others like other choices. They are just options to be tried.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

What is Affinity?

'Affinity' is a DOS (command line) command that tells an 'exe' to use only one processor in a multiprocessor machine. So, if your processor has four cores, you can use Affinty to tell the game to use processor '0, 1, 2, or 3'. Yeah, that's weird, the first processor is '0'. It is best not to use processor '0', because usually Windows uses it.

There is a caveat to this however. For example, I have a new MSI laptop with an Intel I5 quad core cpu running at a base 2.6ghz. If I use the Affintiy command to tell RTW to use only one processor, the game becomes quite jerking and weird....like it's being throttled by the cpu. So I don't use the command on it. However, my desktop, with a Pentium4 dual core running at 3.2ghz is a different story. Using Affintiy in this case resulted in a 'significant' improvement in how RTW played. So it all depends on your PC, processor, and whether the command helps or hinders how RTW plays.

As far as formations go, I prefer the 'Pure' Sinuhet AI formations myself, but others like other choices. They are just options to be tried.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I noticed that in 'alternate player formations' folder, Athenogoras folder/file is missing.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

dvk,
    I am not sure, but I think my ticking "Affinity" has done some harm to my game. Now, I have a quarter of the Laucher Box blacked out by a black box which one sees in DOS or in Windows. The game has changed and I may have to re-install.
    It looks, as if RS2.6 is running on the same core as windows is running.
    You may want to consider taking the Affinity box out - at least for me, it does not work.
    Last edited by Fridericus Rex; August 30, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

MDT's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Which one are the 'pure' ones, defrault or sinuhet? (I'm guessing you added 'pure' because there are two sinuhet settings and default is the othe one)

Which one would be best for phalanxes?

Patrician

I do not know which would be best for phalanxes, although I have observed that the 'pure' Sinuhet AI formations show no 'discernible' problems with them.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Sorry for digging this up, but I'm starting to play Rome with RS 2 and have question about AI formation.

Are AI formation types somehow related to what exe I want to use in launcher? Like - I want to use ALX.exe, should I choose AI formation marked as Alexander only or is it irrelevant and any AI formation works with any exe?

Good question,
    I believe the choice of exe will influences ingame options like shield wall, invincible faction leader, better campaign AI, etc
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator