Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: RS 2.6 Issues and Problems:

Default Re: RS 2.6 Issues and Problems:

Congratulation for the mod I find it awesome
    I think that a fine addition to future release would be Baktria.
    They are opposed by Seleucid and Parthia and could be quite interesting.
    Then fine additions could be: an Indian Kingdom; The Kingdom of Thracia; Numidia; The city-state of Kyrene and a faction in Britain.
    Epirus could be quite difficult because of the aggressive espansion of the Roman Republic in Greece.
    If the map could be enlarged the top would be the inclusion of an Arabian Tribe

I think that adding Athens would be a great think and quite a tribute to its greatness!

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Bactria, an Indian state, Thracia and Epirus were all excluded because they either didn't exist anymore (Thrace and Epirus), or because our map doesn't go far enough east. Athens, however, is a very likely addition at some point.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Bactria, an Indian state, Thracia and Epirus were all excluded because they either didn't exist anymore (Thrace and Epirus), or because our map doesn't go far enough east. Athens, however, is a very likely addition at some point.
    Have you reflected on enlarging the map and cover area as west India and a piece of India as Europa Barbarorum or Rome 2?
    Maybe you can eliminate settlement as Akragas or Crotona because in Sicily there are other 3 settlement and in southern Italy there is Reggio in order to expand in the east. I think Baktria would be a unique experience because Its own way of fighting, mixing greek and Indian traditions.

Reflect also about adding Numidia
    Thanks Roma Surrectum is a great work and for me it has still a lot to offer
    The map is perfect, the units awesome, its only limits are the hardcoded limitation

The Rome II settlement and costum cities cannot be converted and used in Roma Surrectum?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mario.Daniele View Post
    Have you reflected on enlarging the map and cover area as west India and a piece of India as Europa Barbarorum or Rome 2?
    Maybe you can eliminate settlement as Akragas or Crotona because in Sicily there are other 3 settlement and in southern Italy there is Reggio in order to expand in the east. I think Baktria would be a unique experience because Its own way of fighting, mixing greek and Indian traditions.

Reflect also about adding Numidia
    Thanks Roma Surrectum is a great work and for me it has still a lot to offer
    The map is perfect, the units awesome, its only limits are the hardcoded limitation

The Rome II settlement and costum cities cannot be converted and used in Roma Surrectum?
    The problem with expanding the map further east....as is the case with any map that does so, is that the 'scale' of the map becomes too small....in other words, all of the regions and cities become closer together, and the strat map starts to look crowded. We decided in development that it was more important for game play and looks, as well as practical application, to use a larger scale map that covered a smaller area. And, given the limited number of faction slots RTW affords, adding such factions as Bactria and India would only remove the focus from what this mod is really all about....the factions and peoples who had a direct impact on the Roman Empire.

Bactria, actually, was very much discussed....and some of us were watering at the mouth over it because it offered a very unique mix of Greek and eastern cultures, but it just didn't fit into our map or our chosen 'theme'.

As for Numidia...again, a faction with a lot going for it...but, the location of Carthage and it's regions, the typically poor performance of Carthage, the poor use of naval vessels in RTW, coupled with our desire to make Carthage a viable enemy of the Romans, all contributed to the removal of Numidia because they would provide an unwanted distraction for Carthage, as well as a balancing act to try and make it so Numidia didn't snuff out Carthage, or so badly damage it that they were of no threat to Rome. Even as it is, they are still not the threat I would like them to be.

And no, RomeII settlements would not work in RTW.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks, only a last question
    I've reade there are some modders in the forum of RTR Who are devolopping a launcher that can eliminate legally, by memory editing, the hardcoded limitation.
    Have you heard it? Do you know what point of development Have they reached?
    Do you intend to use this launcher, if it Will be released, to improve Roma Surrectum even more?

Thanks, only a last question
    I've reade there are some modders in the forum of RTR Who are devolopping a launcher that can eliminate legally, by memory editing, the hardcoded limitation.
    Have you heard it? Do you know what point of development Have they reached?
    Do you intend to use this launcher, if it Will be released, to improve Roma Surrectum even more?
    I actually know what's going on with this. Don't be expecting it to be ready anytime soon**. It also is not magic and currently can't do the big things you may be thinking of.

**By which I mean "good chance it isn't even worked on at any particular point.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 24, 2015 at 11:53 AM.

Patrician

As Alavaria says...I also am familiar with that project, and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the guys working on it. It's a big project. But it is also a WIP, and a very highly untested process at that. Until the time comes when people can say: "Yes, this works great, and does what we want it to, and isn't a buggy mess that will confuse and frustrate the player".....RSIII won't use it. Our goal from day one has been to provide the most bug free mod we could, and to well inform players about the bugs we can't fix.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

As for Numidia...again, a faction with a lot going for it...but, the location of Carthage and it's regions, the typically poor performance of Carthage, the poor use of naval vessels in RTW, coupled with our desire to make Carthage a viable enemy of the Romans, all contributed to the removal of Numidia because they would provide an unwanted distraction for Carthage, as well as a balancing act to try and make it so Numidia didn't snuff out Carthage, or so badly damage it that they were of no threat to Rome. Even as it is, they are still not the threat I would like them to be.
    Hypothetically, instead of Numidia, there could be another faction in Spain. Lusitanians perhaps. Because they would have their hands full with the player controlling Lusitania, that would make the Gallaeci less of an immediate threat to Carthage.

They're also a pretty big threat to the Arverni, in my experience ... oddly because it seems the Gallaeci don't have much trouble invading by sea as well as by land, which they've done numerous times in different campaigns. The difference seems to be that they're not stuck with some faraway place like Genoa that they need to pour time/resources into defending. They've got a very safe position, from which they can launch an offensive in whichever direction they please. Carthage should probably be a bigger threat in Italy,* instead of what they really have now which is a big liability and wasted expenses in Italy, that they can only try to recover from once it is lost.

* EDIT: Or they could start with a decent army or a region in Sicily, which the Romans and Carthaginians also contested, even though (for the sake of gameplay) that's not accurately representing the conditions in the starting year of the game. Maybe they'd still lose, like they did historically, but it would keep the Romans on their toes.

Anyway, even if that would help somewhat (of course the player will pretty quickly be a huge threat to Carthage anyway, just like if they play the Gallaeci), I wouldn't be very excited about playing Lusitania or whatever, since they'd presumably be so similar to the Gallaeci, and you'd probably wipe them out instantly. Maybe they could have some archers, which I definitely miss playing the Gallaeci, but that doesn't seem like nearly enough to justify a whole faction.

On the other hand, Athens would be a real treat. I think it would probably be my favorite Greek faction. (Right now, it's maybe a toss-up between Pergamon and the Seleucids). There are already tons of local units they could use (Athenian hoplites and marines, as well as maybe Corinthians, Boeotians, Cretans, Rhodians or others like that). And of course it wouldn't change much strategically, compared to having a Spartan faction. I imagine their roster could be a lot like Pergamon (more focused on hoplites, thureophoroi and machairophoroi, instead of phalangites like Macedon). Or in some ways sort of like Sparta itself, because their homeland would mean they start with fairly weak or mediocre cavalry. Their infantry wouldn't be so heavily armored like some of the elite Spartans (maybe they could recruit some cheaper ones only in Sparta?), but that's made up for the fact that all of the existing units I mentioned are more balanced in terms of offense/defense and they're generally a lot cheaper. Is that sort of the general idea for Athens? Because if so, I'm already excited about it.
    Last edited by Ovidius Empiricus; September 24, 2015 at 01:55 PM.

Patrician

One thing I am going to seriously consider...in light of testing in another experimental install of RS2.....is the automatic spawning of Carthaginian armies immediately upon their losing one of their starting territories, as well as the random spawn of armies in Sicily and even Italy. I simply do not think the RTW CAI has brains enough to recruit and deploy armies for Carthage.....it's almost as if the exe has a predetermined bias that makes Carthage particularly stupid in game. So I am going to figure out a way to help them be more of a pain in the you know what.

As for Athens...yeah, been thinking about that. What I'm picturing is a campaign where Athens will have the daunting task of facing Macedon, Sparta, Pergamon, Bithynia, Pontus and Seleucid all in or near their area of influence. I already have a 'mental picture' how I can do it. Could be a fun campaign.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

As for Athens...yeah, been thinking about that. What I'm picturing is a campaign where Athens will have the daunting task of facing Macedon, Sparta, Pergamon, Bithynia, Pontus and Seleucid all in or near their area of influence. I already have a 'mental picture' how I can do it. Could be a fun campaign.
    Hmm, that sounds really interesting too. I figured it'd be a standard "swap" campaign, so factions like Sparta and Bithynia would be off the table. No Greek City-States, I guess, or cutting them back a whole lot to make room for everyone? They're always such a big nuisance.

Please, please, please make a 1-turn version. Some I just can't get into, because they're only 0-turn. Syracuse and Massalia 1-turn would be nice too, but I know that's asking for a lot. The whole mod is asking for too much, really that was years ago.... You're so good to us. Actually, if there were just some fairly clear instructions about what would be needed to safely convert from 0-turn to 1-turn, so I don't miss anything important (files or edits that need to be made to them, for the right building prices, economic scripts, whatever), it would really helpful if I could do it myself.

Tyblitz's Avatar Foederatus

it's almost as if the exe has a predetermined bias that makes Carthage particularly stupid in game.
    Talking about Carthage: I've been playing a Carthaginian campaign this week and noticed something weird.
    I don't know whether this is a Windows 10 issue, a faction-, traitsystem-, or campaignsettings-related issue (playing on H/VH),
    but somehow all my generals/ family members who get a trait like 'Superior Builder' or anything that normally decreases building costs augments them by the same percentage.
    (It's not that bad for me as I have a healthy economy)

After 20/30 more turns I noticed this wasn't the case for all family members with such a trait. Some did decrease, others increased the costs.
    Is this some kind of hidden trait? A bug with the difficulty setting? I've never had this with any other faction before in RS II.

One thing I am going to seriously consider...in light of testing in another experimental install of RS2.....is the automatic spawning of Carthaginian armies immediately upon their losing one of their starting territories, as well as the random spawn of armies in Sicily and even Italy. I simply do not think the RTW CAI has brains enough to recruit and deploy armies for Carthage.....it's almost as if the exe has a predetermined bias that makes Carthage particularly stupid in game. So I am going to figure out a way to help them be more of a pain in the you know what.
    Make sure to magically give Carthage a region there, otherwise your stacks will try to run to friendly territory and just get lost or stuck somewhere.

I did trap Hannibal in Italy for like 20 years.

I don't know whether this is a Windows 10 issue, a faction-, traitsystem-, or campaignsettings-related issue (playing on H/VH),
    but somehow all my generals/ family members who get a trait like 'Superior Builder' or anything that normally decreases building costs augments them by the same percentage.
    (It's not that bad for me as I have a healthy economy)
    That's an old problem I noticed quite a while ago. The numbers the game uses are a bit counterintuitive, so they got switched around in a few places. (I don't remember which ones anymore.) I think the next patch will correct it, but for now it's fairly quick and easy to fix yourself:

-- I'm not exactly sure when the highest-level "data" folder overrides (or substitutes for) other individual data folders in each separate campaign. This one you could change as well, which might make some of your other work redundant. Or if the files aren't present in the campaign sub-folder you're looking for, then this would be the place to make the edits. But it doesn't take a lot of time either way, and what we're doing won't cause any problems.
    -- So, go to the campaign folder, for the specific type of campaign you're playing, "Play_Rome_One_Turn" for example. There is a "data" folder inside.
    -- In that data folder, there are two text files you need to edit: export_descr_character_traits and export_descr_ancillaries.
    -- Open the files with Notepad, and after you're finished, close Notepad to save the file with the pop-up window that prompts you to do so. (It's probably safer not to save through the menu, since that might change the file-type or move it somewhere else, depending on what your default settings are like, or if you inadvertently click on folders, filetypes, etc. without realizing it).
    -- In both files, you can use find/search (Ctrl-F in WIN) to quickly cycle through each instance of the following effect: "Effect Construction #". Merely searching for "const" would be enough to narrow it down. The number should be positive if it decreases costs, negative if it increases costs. The name of the trait/ancillary should be enough to know what the intention is: for example, being "Intelligent" is good and should presumably lower costs. There are two levels of that one, so make sure you have checked both before moving on (the search should highlight both, if that's how you're working on it). It looks like all of the ancillaries are good (have positive numbers), but there's pretty much an even split between good/bad traits.
    -- Don't hit enter, add spaces, leave out spaces, rename things, change the structure of the file, etc. Basically don't touch anything else, if you don't have to. For this, all you have to do is add or delete a minus sign. Or if you like, you could change a number to a different one, if you want the effect to be larger/smaller (or more positive/more negative).

After 20/30 more turns I noticed this wasn't the case for all family members with such a trait. Some did decrease, others increased the costs.
    Is this some kind of hidden trait? A bug with the difficulty setting? I've never had this with any other faction before in RS II.
    Doubt you have any bugs. As you'll see, there are quite a few things that affect construction costs: multiple ancillaries and multiple traits, with different (positive and negative) magnitudes. Some combinations would result in higher costs and some lower, to varying degrees. The large effect of a good one might overshadow the smaller bad effect of another. If it changes over time, they just got a new trait/ancillary, or they progressed to a new level of one of their existing traits.
    Last edited by Ovidius Empiricus; September 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM.

Patrician

Yes, the problem with construction costs will be fixed in the next release. Unfortunately, and as opposed to how these bonuses work in all other cases, the meaning of a 'positive' bonus and a negative are switched for construction. I never caught it until people reported that the traits weren't doing what they said they were doing.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I've seen the preview of new costum settlement and I've a suggestion.
    According to historical recostruction in the city of Babilon there were 2 blue gates the first smaller and the 2nd bigger, both of them blue. The Perimetrical walls used in the recostruction are very similar to that used in the vanilla for estern settlement. About the Huge costruction next to the wall I suggest to use as its base the base of the vanilla roman pantheon with Its stairs coloured of the same colour of the perimetrical walls.
    About the river Next to it, if you go on ModDB and see the Hegemonia City States Preview there is a Photo of a new settlement with water around it.

I've seen the preview of new costum settlement and I've a suggestion.
    According to historical recostruction in the city of Babilon there were 2 blue gates the first smaller and the 2nd bigger, both of them blue. The Perimetrical walls used in the recostruction are very similar to that used in the vanilla for estern settlement. About the Huge costruction next to the wall I suggest to use as its base the base of the vanilla roman pantheon with Its stairs coloured of the same colour of the perimetrical walls.
    About the river Next to it, if you go on ModDB and see the Hegemonia City States Preview there is a Photo of a new settlement with water around it.
    http://www.kadingirra.com/gates.html. See this link for a detailed reconstruction

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hegemonia-...he-new-cities2. See this link for the costum settlement with a river around it from Hegemonia city States at ModDb

Patrician

I appreciate the insight...and the pictures are great. I had found similar ones of the Ishtar Gate. The problem with this is that I had to consider playability as well as what things looked like, and also deal with what RTW gave me to work with. I made the gates the way I did because the models for the gate and walls I had to work with weren't very flexible, and I left the space between the inner and outer gates for playability reasons. Wanted to do much more with it, but there just wasn't enough to work with to make it better.

I had not seen the water in the cities...pretty cool. I wonder how he did it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Who Made buildings for Hegemonia? Is he a still active modder? Could he help in the realization of custom settlement for Roma Surrectum III? His buildings are awesome.

Patrician

His name is 'Jarlaxe', and he is the one who gave me permission to use his beautiful buildings.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I've seen the map of Roma Surrectum 2, I known that adding a new region Will result in a more crowded map, but I think that adding the region of Bactria Will not result in a so enlarged map and more over Bactria is a so unique faction, so challenging and strictly linked to Seleucid and Parthia. Eliminate a city in Italy, for example, Will not change so much the game but a new region in the east and a new faction as Bactria with it is unique unit, a mix between Indian, Iranian and Greek culture, Will add more variety to the game.