Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 2.6 patch

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 2.6 patch

Sorry but your CTDs arent mod problems(not really).There are plenty of reasons for the CTDs you might have but they are definitely not mod bugs.
    I played this mod for months now and i never had a CTD.

The mod isnt garbage just because you are getting your ass kicked.
    You complain about difficulty yet you are playing a single city faction (which i think is one of the hardest campaigns).
    Diplomacy is broken in every mod so you cant expect alliances to mean anything.

Rome attacking you with 3 stacks shouldnt be that surprising.This is 216 BC...they managed to recruit 16 legions just to defeat a single general.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lanciarius_90 View Post
    Unplayable, even after 2.6 update. Just start playing with Massalia 1turn. I manage to defeat Gauls at Gergovia, they had two full stack, after 10 turns?!

But there is more serious problem, I know this is modification, but compared with others (RTR, EB) this mod is so unstable, game crashes every time, CTD before battle, CTD after important battle, CTD while I zoom in battle, ctd for every thing.

Diplomacy: Romans attack me with three full stack. Why they attack me, if I was ally with them and how they manage to get so big army?!

Technically, RS2 is garbage, but otherwise, this mod have nice content, graphic, map and history lesson.
    Hey mister Lanciarius_90, your disgusting statements shows lack of respect for dozens of people who struggled and worked many years to made this brillant mod!

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Sorry but your CTDs arent mod problems(not really).There are plenty of reasons for the CTDs you might have but they are definitely not mod bugs.
    I played this mod for months now and i never had a CTD.

The mod isnt garbage just because you are getting your ass kicked.
    You complain about difficulty yet you are playing a single city faction (which i think is one of the hardest campaigns).
    Diplomacy is broken in every mod so you cant expect alliances to mean anything.

Rome attacking you with 3 stacks shouldnt be that surprising.This is 216 BC...they managed to recruit 16 legions just to defeat a single general.

I say mod is technically "garbage" (ok maybe too harsh, I mean bad).

CTD is really not my problem. I completely follow install instruction, turned everything off or on low setting, set lower resolution, closed other programs, still get CTD after or during the battle.

90% of CTDs have to do with the game path length.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    90% of CTDs have to do with the game path length.
    What do you mean with that and how did you fix?

kyrkac's Avatar Libertus

What do you mean with that and how did you fix?
    he mean that your game path length should be short something like these "C:\RTW\RS2" my english is bad so hope you understand

Yes.There is a thread for a lot of fixes.

I say mod is technically "garbage" (ok maybe too harsh, I mean bad).

CTD is really not my problem. I completely follow install instruction, turned everything off or on low setting, set lower resolution, closed other programs, still get CTD after or during the battle.
    Without wishing to belittle the bad experience you are having - I would certainly like to re-assure you that, sadly for you, it's not the Mod. The Mod is (almost) completely stable - after 1000's of hours testing 2.5+ and now 100's on 2.6.

CTDs during the battle tend to be due to having settings set too high (one thing the Mod does do is stretch the engine to its limits) and the graphics giving up (bearing in mind that it's the main PC chip(s) that are handling all the load and not any dedicated GPU). All HiRes settings and Huge units will do it.

CTDs after the battle seem mostly to be Anti-Virus and similar behaviours - for sadly RTW was written in a nicer time and the way it modifies data files can look odd to modern Anti-Malware.

I'm somewhat lucky, I guess (but it's not expensive), but I have a dedicated old PC that does nothing but run RSII on Win XP - nothing at all.

In short - genuinely review your settings and the environment you have the game in. There lots of advice in the Tech section.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

neep's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    In short - genuinely review your settings and the environment you have the game in. There lots of advice in the Tech section.
    +1 for that.

I found the stickies that describe this to be excellent.
    Provides clear descriptions and solutions.
    Once I followed the recommendations, the CTD's disappeared.

Hey I know a lot of people have been having serious issues even running RS 2.5/2.6 after CA's ingenious multiplayer patch a couple weeks ago (doesn't make sense why those files would affect everything else). Anyway I was hoping someone from the development team might have a look at what the issue is and send out a patch enabling RS2 to work again... You guys made an awesome overhaul mod for an awesome game and i hate to see it wasted by more of CA's incompetence.
    Great work tho guys, really an above-and-beyond piece of work you have created.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I got the impression that Steam/CA actually changed the .exe's/executables - ie RTW/BI/Alex.exe's. If it's changes to base code that only interface with original files, and not Mods supported and run only via Steam.....

If that's true - then Modder's are banned from further modifying them. If it's not scripts, text files or models/environment; then I think Mod use by Steam users may be over......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but I got the impression that Steam/CA actually changed the .exe's/executables - ie RTW/BI/Alex.exe's. If it's changes to base code that only interface with original files, and not Mods supported and run only via Steam.....

If that's true - then Modder's are banned from further modifying them. If it's not scripts, text files or models/environment; then I think Mod use by Steam users may be over......
    You can (and I suppose will basically have to) use the .exes from older CD versions. Which are still possible to get, thankfully.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Sorry mate, but how come EB, FATW and LOTRTW can still run in Steam (I installed them after the patch) and how come RS2 dont? I´m sorry, and perhaps my problem is very specific, but I dont see how other mods run just fine, and I can´t even get RS2 to work
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Sorry mate, but how come EB, FATW and LOTRTW can still run in Steam (I installed them after the patch) and how come RS2 dont? I´m sorry, and perhaps my problem is very specific, but I dont see how other mods run just fine, and I can´t even get RS2 to work
    Then that's great - but I still don't know - I was under the impression (but I don't play them) that lots of Mods were 'interfered' with by the 'exe' change via Steam. Me - disks - all the way and beyond. I believe the Steam concept to be fundamentally flawed - and it's not just Steam, there are Nuclear Power Stations vulnerable to Cyber attack for the same silly reasons!

When i install this patch I get this error: Failed to read Censored word dictionary file: data//chatfilter.san, but when I play the previous version everything is fine? Why? I really want to play this mod!

Could someone please explain the revamped legion system to me? As I recall, in 2.5 you had to initiate the Marian reform by building up Syracuse, then building a Roman Fortress in one of the the legion recruitment zones (I remember seeing them laid out on a map). How has it changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Could someone please explain the revamped legion system to me? As I recall, in 2.5 you had to initiate the Marian reform by building up Syracuse, then building a Roman Fortress in one of the the legion recruitment zones (I remember seeing them laid out on a map). How has it changed?
    It's not changed massively; and not the first (Marian) reforms:

- It's Akragas (the smallest starting Roman settlement) that needs to get to 24k and build an Imperial Palace to initiate the reforms. Recommended at no earlier than about 40 years. It will change Polybian recruitment to the Generic legions (of Marius, Pompey, Caesar, Crassus, et al); when the Roman Fortress is built the Early Imperial Legions will become available, however (a bit early, but liked)

- the Augustan/Imperial reforms are then enabled (change in 2.6) by building the Circus Maximus in Roma. The Late Imperial Legions will now become available where Roman Fortresses are and Generics will be removed from Campus Martii; and the Late Auxilia appear in Oppidum Lvl3 and above

- it should also be noted that the FL has to visit a Roman Fortress for the Imperial period military ranks to appear.

Ah I see now, by early imperial are you referring to legions raised for the conquest of Gaul i.e. Gemina, Hispania, Ferrata etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Ah I see now, by early imperial are you referring to legions raised for the conquest of Gaul i.e. Gemina, Hispania, Ferrata etc?
    Not entirely. The 'Early Imperial Legions' are those 12 that are listed that way in the text files. The Team wanted them available 'earlier' because of the suppositional links back to their predecessors.

I took a 'purist' view and argued that it's the Generic legions that existed from Marius to Augustus - for both the Early & Late set contain expanded first cohorts that, it is commonly believed, didn't exist prior to Augustus. Nor, indeed, are the names that accompany them. It is only once the Imperial Age is reached (post 28BC in reality) that the permanent, professional, army (including the Late Auxilia) existed.

If one took an historical approach then a player would run the Middle Republic with Polybian & Allied legions for ~100 years; then Generic legions for another ~100 years; and finally the Imperial Legions (the Named & Numbered) for the final ~100 years.

Now, all that said, I rather like the N&N myself - it's just really a pleasure to use and kind of track a history for a particular legion - so I get there early too (it's not all testing!).