Thread: Head/Torso/Shield etc swaps via text from existing models

Default Head/Torso/Shield etc swaps via text from existing models

Hi, amazing talent here, wow.

I'm a Rome Total Noob™ (when it comes to modding).

I'd like to know what governs what when it comes down to swapping various body parts to change the look of default units.

For example, i'd like to remove the 'smurf hats' (heads) from the Seleucid Silver Shield Pikemen and replace them all with ultra slick Grecian style helm that their unit leader wears (and perhaps change the unit leaders own helm to something else again - to retain his distinction).

It sounds like a very simple process, i'm hoping it in fact is.

But i know nothing at all about what the unit entires in the data files mean, so i dont know what models govern heads, legs, torsos, shields, etc etc, or where to find the head of the unit leader etc etc.

Could someone please describe the process for me in detail using the example above and if possible break down what refers to torsos and say shields as well, so that i can go and apply other changes to other models following the 'head swap' method.

A description of what this means (in descr_model_battle.txt) would be most welcome.

type greek_argyraspid
    skeleton fs_slow_spearman, fs_slow_swordsman ; combat spear
    indiv_range 40
    texture seleucid, data/models_unit/textures/unit_seleucid_argyraspides.tga
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_greek_argyraspides_v2_400.cas, 8
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_greek_argyraspides_v2_300.cas, 15
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_argyraspides_v2_200.cas, 30
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_argyraspides_v2_100.cas, 40
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_argyraspides_v2_70.cas, max
    model_sprite seleucid, 60.0, data/sprites/seleucid_greek_argyraspid_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

[i assume the above refers to the silver shield guys, though the entries are similar for all unit types - wheres the head, the shield, the torso, etc etc?]

Or am i naive and the heads, shields etc are fixed to specific skeletons and cant be swapped around willy nilly?

Please let me know, i'm eager to learn the basics, then move on to skins and eventually my own models.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Head/Torso/Shield etc swaps via text from existing models

The basics are that a unit is made of two parts the model, and the skin (texture) which is the uniform, face ect.. Models are created in 3d max, and skins in any graphic editing program, ie; photoshop, gimp. what you want to do can be achived by reskining a unit that has the head/weapons ect you want and then replacing the one you don't in the dmb. Your best bet is to start looking though the tutorials section and see what you can do yourself.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191

Start with this one.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23939

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

.cas is the model.
    .tga is the skin (texture)