Thread: Medieval Total War 2 will not start after a windows 8 update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Medieval Total War 2 will not start after a windows 8 update

Hello everyone,

My apologies if this problem has already been addressed on this forum, but I have searched all over and have not been able to resolve this issue on my own.

I recently installed my old copy of Medieval Total War 2: Gold Edition from a CD-ROM onto a new laptop that runs Windows 8. I installed the game no problem and proceeded to play about 80ish turns over the last couple of days. I had to restart my computer on Saturday to install mandatory updates, but after the updates were installed I was unable to load Total War.

My computer gives me this prompt: This application is not compatible with the installed operating system. Please upgrade to Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or better.

This prompt is titled as "Kingdoms," which is odd because I have only been playing MTW2 and not any of the expansion yet.

I have tried running the program in compatibility mode to no avail, and I don't know if I should install the patches or not.

If anyone could give me help it would be greatly appreciated.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Medieval Total War 2 will not start after a windows 8 update

Disable the UAC.

Thanks for your help.

I went ahead and disabled the UAC and unfortunately I am still unable to start MTW2. Any other ideas as to what can fix this?

The only list that I know works so far for Win 8 is (1)disable the UAB, (2)take ownership of C: drive, and (3)install the game, even Steam, outside Program Files (x86).

Running the game as "Run as Administrator" and "XP Compatible" helps.

I was about to try this list, but I decided to check my graphics for updates before I did so. Turns out there was an update for my Intel HD graphics and when I updated and restarted my computer, MTW2 started no problems. I apologize for taking up your time without checking for updates, as it should of been one of the first things I checked.

Thank you for your help.

No problem. Enjoy playing.