Thread: Fatal Graphics Error

Default Fatal Graphics Error

Hi there,

i just bought and downloaded METW2 and when i load the game a window pops up telling me i cant connect to the net and that i need a proxy server adress and various other details, now that i can live without (the multiplayer i mean) but when i click start the game loads for a split second then crashes and leaves me with a note saying Steam: A fatal graphics error has occurred and the game will now be shut down. This is normally caused by having your game graphics options set too high, please try running the game again and lowering your graphics settings before entering a battle. i have no idea how to lower the graphics cause i cant get into the game to do so. my dxdiag is attached and i hope someone can give me a helping hand, i run windows 7.... thanking you in advance Beefy..
    Attached Files Attached Files

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Fatal Graphics Error

Where did you buy the game? It may make a difference.

Disable the UAC,
    Set the game to "Run as Administrator" and "XP Compatible".

i bought the game thru steam.

ive also tried reinstalling it 4 times now, ive also checked my driver updates.

Did you do what I posted?

what does disable UAC mean?

ok yes ive disabled user account control, put it in win xp service pack 3 compatability and also run as admin, still it doesnt work

While logged in as Administrator, delete both Medieval II Total War folders, then reinstall. there are two of them if installed with the UAC enabled and Steam's default location..

im afraid that didnt work either, im now also downloading and installing medieval TW 2 kingdoms, to see if i can load the game thru the expansion and not the original.

Then install Steam outside Program Files (x86). Windows' security layer maybe playing with it.