Thread: (AAR) The Kraken's Grip (ended)

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon1 (AAR) The Kraken's Grip (ended)

CHAPTER ZERO
    The Iron fleet was assembled.....Hundreds of warships of every different size lay around Pyke. A smile was on his face as he looked out at the knowledge that the presence of the ships meant. We are going to war...He had lost two sons nine years before, killed by Robert Baratheon and his mad dog Eddard. Both men were dead, and the kingdom in chaos.
    "Not as ripe indeed," the Iron Captain had agreed when Balon told him of the prize, waiting for them.
    "My daughter will sail north on Deepwood Motte, Theon will follow Dagmer raiding along the Stoney Shore." The new king pointed at the icon of a ruin on the map of the north. "Every other ship shall be with you at Moat Cailin. The boy left only a few hundred, you shall have near twenty thousand."
    I shall have my crown. My people their freedom. Did he believe in such noble a goal? He would let Damphair decide.

The man emptied his bowls as he died. He screamed and screamed and screamed until his voice was hoarse and then he screamed some more. The men couldn't sleep for the cries of the dying man. And he wasn't the only one.
    Near a hundred men had fallen to the bog devils who infested the neck, preying on the Greyjoy men camped around the ruins.
    "The sooner we get out of here the better," he muttered to no-one in particular. The towers had been occupied by the Harlaws and Goodbrothers and Saltcliffe. Victarion himself camped outside with the majority of his men, within riding distance of the vast fleet at anchor, unloading the supplies needed for the invasion.
    My brother aims high and this Stark pup is undefeated. Yet Robb was in the Westerlands, with Tywin racing back to face him. Stannis, with his host marching on Kings Landing, posed no threat, he aimed for the Iron Throne.... With his enemies fighting each other, Joffrey would have no intention of sending forces north to face them. But there is Roose... The lord of the Dreadfort had an army at the Twins the last time Victarion heard it, over ten thousand strong...
    Casting aside the doubts he harbored, Victarion turned over and tried to sleep, the screaming mercifully stopped by the head of a sharp axe....
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; September 01, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

CHAPTER ONE

Victarion Greyjoy sighed in relief as Harras informed him that the supplies had been offloaded.
    "We have enough food to get us to Winterfell," the Knight informed him, swinging himself on to his warhorse. A few dozen Ironborn were mounted alongside him, the few in the entire army who knew how to ride.
    Strange men, Victarion mused, already bellowing orders to his men. "We march on White Harbour!" a few faces looked at him in confusion but obedience to the Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet was as strong as Victarion's obedience to his brother.
    "Lord-Too-Fat is the strongest lord remaining in the north. Take White Harbour, and all resistance will crumble." Balon's words rang in his head as he prepared his men for the march. It would take too long to sail round Westeros, so the Ironborn would have to march across hostile land.
    We will make it, we are Ironborn.

Theon smiled at Dagmer. "The greatest of my father's warriors."
    "Not anymore," came the reply.
    Cleftjaw was posing to be far too stubborn for Theon, who grew increasingly angry at the delay.
    "Asha has already taken Bear Isle and Deepwood Motte! We must have our own castle or else the war will pass us by! Do you not want songs to be sung of you?"
    "I am your father's man," the raider replied, as if there was no other answer.
    "You are an old man!" Theon growled, cursing himself for saying it.
    The raider seemed unfazed. "I am that."
    "Then you must strike hard! Strike against the enemy, while you still draw breath!"
    Dagmer refused to agree to Theon's demands. "We are too few to take Torrhen's Square."
    Theon smiled, I have him. "We are not going to take Torrhen's Square."

Sorry about some of the picts…..

Asha smiled as the Glovers were led towards the waiting longships.
    Sybelle Locke cried quietly as her children were pulled away from her, following near the end of a line of disheartened northmen. The fighting had been swift and brutal. The few guards who had managed to put up a fight were overwhelmed in seconds, their corpses now filling a ditch dug by the survivors.
    "Take them back to Pyke, and see that they are well threated. If the men do anything, have them thrown overboard, as a gift to the Drowned God." The captain nodded and turned, taking with him twenty ironborn and fifty captives.
    Turning to the rest of her men, Asha pointed her axe east, towards Winterfell. "Onward!" she cried, knowing that her father would be proud.
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; August 17, 2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: With need to figure out how to add images.....derp

Default Re: The Kraken's Grip (WRM AAR)

There we go....

CHAPTER THREE

Moat Cailin were left defended by the best warriors Victarion had at his command, such was the value of the ancient castle. Robb Stark and his bannermen would have to take the castle if they were to reclaim their lands, and Victarion wanted them to pay for every inch of land they took. Taking the majority of his men, Victarion marched on White Harbour, Lord-Too-Fat gathering a garrison of untrained youths to defend the walls.

The defenders of White Harbour were outnumbered over three to one, and they knew it. The Ironborn raiders hadn't marched in to mainland Westeros for centuries, yet they knew how to take towns and cities like any other power.

No matter how many jugs of ale he and his men drank, Victarion couldn't get in the merry mood of his men. They cheered and boasted and danced around campfires and feast tables, dragging hundreds of northern girls in to tents and behind bushes. Quietly gulping down his drink, Victarion kept walking away from the loud camp and staring at the high walls of White Harbour. He had fought for years under his brother, and had suffered the pain of defeat at the hand of Stannis Baratheon whats seemed only recently past. I will not fail him again. On the morrow, the ladders would be thrown against the walls and thousands of Ironborn would swarm in to the city, looting and pillaging as they went.

Clad in thick steel Victarion marched at the head of the sledgehammer of the army. Near a half of the army would rush forward with the siege equipment; flimsy ladders and a ramshackle battering ram. Once the gates were broken through, or the walls taken, the rest of the men would race through, Harras and the mounted nobles leading the way. Harras had made the suggestion to spread out the ladders, attacking the wall from every side.
    "The defenders are weak, untrained. We are Ironborn! A frontal attack will break through them like rotten wood before the axe." With those words, the men around them roared their approval, while Harras dipped his head in acceptance.

As the ladders were thrown against the sides of the walls, the thin line of defenders recoiled as half-drunk savages threw themselves upon the walls, wailing battle cries and curses. The few defenders who stood firm were quickly killed, gutted by axe and sword and spear.
    Surrounded by his men, Victarion watched as Kraken banners were planted on the walls, along with horns and scythes, fluttering in the light breeze. Longwater Pyke, one of Victarion's crewmates, strode to his side.
    "What happens after this?" The man asked, looking greedily towards the gates of the city.
    "We sack it," Victarion replied softly, frowning at the men around him. They were clad in various types of armour, from simple boiled leather to steel plate. All looked fierce and all looked tired, the drink hurting their heads.
    I couldn't stop them if I wanted to.

With an almighty roar, the men cheered as the battering ram struck through the gate. From the walls poured warriors dripping with blood, running down the fleeing enemy. Down streets and alleyways, through market stalls and in to houses, the garrison was hunted down and killed.
    Harras Harlaw leading the way, the rest of the Ironborn army surged in to the city, racing towards the home of the Manderlys. His axe raised high, Victarion roared to his men, "For Balon and the Drowned God!"

The Greyjoys surged in to the city, torches setting everything alight, through the smoke and flame, Victarion led his men after Harras and the horsemen.
    "There he is!" someone cried and the cavalry raced off, lances pointed forward. Cursing, the Lord Captain ran after them, trusting in his men to follow without hesitation.
    "For the Seven!" A ragged chorus shouted before the clash of steeds and spears. Horses whined as wood and steel pierced their chests. Men grunted as they were ripped apart by axe and sword.

When Victarion turned the corner, the fighting was almost over...

Broken bodies lay scattered everywhere, but that didn't faze him, as he issued another wordless cry. Men surged forward, a flood of bodies racing towards the last of the fighting. The Manderly's and their men had assembled for a final charge, and the Ironborn were loath to pass up the chance to test their mettle.

As the city burned all around them, two fighters faced off against each other. Harras Harlaw the Knight of Grey Garden, wielding Nightfall, the Valyrian steel sword of his house, faced off against Marlon Manderly, the warrior standing over the limp form of his lord.
    "Your lord was too fat," shouted Harras over the roar of fighting.
    "My lord was brave," the man replied, raising his sword in salute.
    "Harras!" Victarion called the man's name with a grin on his face. That man is brave. "Are you the commander?"
    Looking at the dead bodies around him, the man smiled a fatalistic smile. "Not for long."

"Why do you fight?" Victarion questioned, throwing himself forward, swinging his axe with a speed unmatched.
    Jumping out of the way of the blade, the Manderly laughed, "I would ask why you are here!" He closed the distance, his shield raised high.
    "For my king, for my god!" Victarion met the charge, his shield buckling under the force of the collision.
    "For my king, for my family, for my gods!" Marlon tried to drive his blade in to Victarion's side, but the Greyjoy's axe was there, driving the blade away. Before the man could react, Victarion lashed out at Marlon's face, cutting deep in to his jaw. As the man tried to stand, Victarion delivered a swift strike to the back of the man's neck.

Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; August 17, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Removed double posted image

Abhijat's Avatar Foederatus

How do you take the screens?

Firstly, ensure that Anti-Aliasing is off (found in video settings in the main option menu ) then during the game simply press the PrtScn button as many times as you want. When you are finished your game session you will find the tga images in a folder in your main m2tw folder (not the modfolder) in a folder (lots of folder in this sentence) named tgas. I changed the images to jpeg with Gimp as it is a free software and uploaded it to photobucket (another free site, although you can pay for more storage) and copied the links for the URL and paste it into the reply box.
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; August 18, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

CHAPTER FOUR

Her warriors were silent as they neared the castle. Only a few torches were lit to guide them as they surrounded the sleeping capital of the north.
    Asha's scouts had informed her of the departure of Rodrick Cassel and a body of men, leaving Winterfell almost defenseless. With a smile on her lips she had ordered the men to lash together ladders and prepare to strike in the morning.

As the sun rose so did the ironborn...

Asha's crewmates were to a man clad in plate, the heaviest armour she could beg from her father. Most were unused to the weight and restrictions but they obeyed her wishes. With grunts of exertion they dragged the ladders towards the walls, racing with the rest of the ironborn to be first on the walls.
    "Whoever finds the alehouse gets a lordship!" Asha called out to her men, their speed increasing.
    First up the ladder, Asha expected to see men waiting, spears ready to strike her down. As she sprinted across the wall towards the nearest gatehouse, she expected a quarrel to pierce her armour and fell her.

A cry went up from a washerwoman, her feet too slow to outrun the ironborn. Her wail of pain was short, but too loud. As Asha screamed at her men to bring the ladders within to scale the second wall, a warhorn sounded, long and loud.
    The guards are awakened. She smiled as a group of men half-dressed and unprepared rushed towards the invading Ironborn. They recoiled at the sight of the wild men with embroidered golden krakens on their chests.

"Through them!" Asha roared, her men leaping forward. The wolf pups fled, but the ironborn were on their heels, screaming and throwing axes after them.

"Close the gate!" cried one of the fleeing wolfmen, pumping his arms as he passed beneath the walls. The iron portcullis was lowered with such speed that one of the soldiers, a youth barely sixteen was crushed beneath it.
    The defenders trapped with the ironborn didn't stand a chance. Some fell to their knees. Others raised their spears and shields in a final act of courage.
    They all fell swiftly to the merciless axes of the ironborn.

"Bring me the ladders!" Asha called, the joy of her men infectious. She raised her weapons and cried, "Victory!"

Her men were faster than her getting over the walls, streaming down in to the main courtyard. The last Stark defenders had gathered together, swords and shields ready. A grin was on the faces of the ironborn as they set on the northmen.

Axes raised, axes fell. "What is dead may never die!" one of the men cried. "But risers harder and stronger!" chorused the reply.

Soz for the lack of pics during this battle..

CHAPTER FIVE

Theon looked at the messenger with clenched fists. "She has done what?"
    The man, looking older even than Theon's father, repeated the words from his memory, "Your sweet sister, Asha Greyjoy, has seized the seat of the boy-king Robb Stark, Winterfell, from beneath the noses of the wolf cubs."
    Dagmer laughed, a bark adding salt to his wounded pride. "She aims high doesn't she?" He slapped the prince's back. "The heart of the North! Ha!" His ugly smile brought a frown to Theon's face.
    "You tell my 'sweet' sister that when she is finished humiliating young boys she should join her strength to mine so we can begin to bring this land to heel." The messenger screwed up his face in concentration as Theon spoke. "What are you doing?"
    "Memorizing," he scoffed, as if it was obvious.
    "Just write it down then fool!" Theon raised his fist, expecting the man to flinch.
    "I can't read or write milord," he growled, returning to his memorizing.

The moon was the only light during the darkness. Theon had banned the lighting of torches so the defenders didn't know the true size of the besiegers.
    The garrison was stronger in numbers, and Theon knew that the majority of his men would not attack the well-defended fortress of Torrhen's Square for him. Nor would they do so for Dagmer, no matter how much he threatened.
    My damn father's doing, Theon fumed. He wants me to die, leaving Asha free to succeed him. His men were sons of thralls and the poorest and weakest of nobles.
    "My father has much to learn," Theon informed Dagmer, looking up at the walls, bristling with spears. Both men couldn't sleep. Both men had news of the marriage.

Harras nodded solemnly at Theon and Dagmer. The young Greyjoy looked past his new commander and at the figure wrapped around Harlaw.
    "Hello little brother," she smiled, studying her brother's camp. "You don't seem to be doing well."
    "That is going to change," informed Harras, before Theon could reply. "Get my men ready." He frowned when Theon did not move. "Did your uncle not tell you? I am in command now!"

The castle defenders looked out at the Ironborn forces. Muttering prayers, they noted with concern that the besiegers had almost doubled. Where once unkempt men with rusting men had stood to sling insults at the defenders, now stood ranks upon ranks of men with armour still bloodied from ravaging the farmlands of the north. Dozens of ladders were brought forward, heavily armoured men with great axes growling like beasts as they started marching towards the walls. A group of mounted warriors, in golds and blacks walked slowly behind the mass of ironborn. Longbowmen spread out and began taking potshots at the defenders.

Asha howled as she threw herself in to the fight. Most of her men had already got to grips with the Starks, grunts sounding with every strike. The defenders bearing the sigils of a dozen houses, stood strong against the onslaught. Dagmer jumped and lunged at the northmen, oblivious to the drop to either side of the wall.

Theon spat again as the ironborn cheered, tearing down the Stark banners and replacing them with the golden kraken. His men, the archers, unslung their bows and drew their daggers, eager for the killing. Harras Harlaw and his horsemen galloped in to the castle, ducking their heads beneath the rising portcullis. Damn father​. With a weary command, Theon led his archers in to the city, to try and find a proper fight, and not a massacre.

CHAPTER SIX

Balon swayed with the movement of the ship. The seas were rough, waves crashing down on to the decks of the Ironborn vessels. He frowned as another rower was replaced, the man bent over double, gasping for breath. Balon's 'ironborn' were the scrapings of the barrel. These were men who toiled in the mines or plowed the fields. These were fishermen who stayed on shore. Master-At-Arms who whored more than they taught. Many had enough to afford their weapons, but many were rusted, or badly-kept. These were the garrisons of the castles. The men best left behind.
    Frowning, Balon looked across the grey sea to the strip of land they were trying to leave behind. On a sandy beach, Gorold Goodbrother, and near a third of the men had disembarked, eyes glinting at the prey. Flint's Fingers would fall from the sea, as it should be.
    Victarion needs to return to the sea. His Lord Captain had marched across land to attack his targets, a stratagem of the greenlanders. From the sea we are born, from the sea we strike, to the sea we die.

Victarion looked up at the castle. It indeed would have inspired fear if the gates weren't smashed to splinters. Bodies, bearing the flayed man, were covered in flies. A black skin. The irony was not lost on Victarion.
    The defenders had fought hard, but they were quickly swept away. The castle's immediate treasure was divided among the men, and then the treacherous of the Bolton survivors offered their swords in service. Commanded by a force of ironborn, they became the new garrison.
    "Victarion, the Bolton Lord was spotted marching north with an army!" a messenger raced to the side of the Greyjoy.
    "Then Moat Cailin must have fallen." he mused, realizing the difficulties of land warfare. The distance to cover took too much time. "We will continue north, and hope that Harras don't stumble in to the foe.

The defenders were ready for the Ironborn. Maybe they had spotted the sails. Maybe the fishermen the ironborn bypassed had brought word.

Gorlod Goodbrother led the assault. His men clambered up the ladders and in to the awaiting archers. As the walls were attacked, so too was the gates, a battering ram converted from a longship was slammed against the gate until wood and iron splintered and bent.

When the gate was opened, and the ironborn rushed in, the defender's heart's fell. They spotted sons and daughters, wives and sisters screaming and wailing at the approaching invaders. To a man they threw down their weapons and begged mercy. Many were killed during the bloodlust of battle, but Gorold offered the survivors their lives, and many offered their blades in thanks.
    Not a very loyal people, Gorold thought. Yet he didn't turn the blades down, and allowed their to garrison themselves, alongside a few ironborn.

The victory feast was lavish, using up much of the winter stores. "Toil in your fields!" he roared at the castle's inhabitants. With a snarl he jogged out of the castle gates, his men following close behind.

As this version of the mod is so old, and my writing skills aren't that good....I have decided to end this AAR prematurely.......When I am confident with my mod and writing skills I will write a new AAR.....Thanks for those who have taken the time to read!

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: (AAR) The Kraken's Grip (ended)

Very nice AAR, I really enjoyed it, lool forward for your next one.