Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanium Suggestions & Complaints

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Titanium Suggestions & Complaints

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanPlayer View Post
    ...i usually hate chainmail im many skins, yours looks good...
    Well, thank you. Many months of work went in that chainmail texture, me being the toughest critic of that work.

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanPlayer View Post
    ...i'd try to put his pavise skins on my vanilla if i knew how to, after asking him (cstadi)
    I don't think you need permission to modify your own game with anybody else's work.
    However, the Titanium team would need permission to include cstadi's work in the mod.

In case you want to explore the wilds of modelling for M2TW you can start with this tutorial, it's not that hard.

Many thanks little Friend. Meeelo too has sent me this tutorial. I've been reading but i cant find the heart to finally fiddle on those. "be brave!" xD

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would like to make 3 suggestions that I think will make the game far more playable.

1.Units - make the upkeep represent the power of the unit.RR has it wrong, feudal nobles - knights - weren`t payed for fighting when they were on campaign, they fought for free because that is part of their oath in exchange for the lands they get to rule over.Of course that would cause imbalances if some units are free so we should keep in mind we are playing a game so it would be far easier to balance the units, and the game as a hole, if the upkeep reflects the fighting capabilities.

2.Cap settlements. A no brainer, all settlements becoming huge cities?That is not quite what happened.Huge and large cities should be rare and minor cities should be mainstream.With two hidden resources can be achieved but it will take some rebalancing of the recruitment system.

3.Bind units with huge pools to a geographical area.For example Sergeant Spearmen and Light Swordsmen should be bound to western and central Europe and if a Muslim faction gets a foothold in western Europe then they should have access to levies and mainstream professionals.Of course more advanced units like Chivalric knights, elite longbowmen etc. should remain exclusive to the western faction.This is just an example, the opposite should be true, a western faction should not be able to hire elite Muslim units if they get a foothold, only mainstream units.

So any faction should get access to half of the pool of all mainstream units of the geographic area and half of their own pool of mainstream units in a geographical area different from their own.A muslim faction for example should access to both Sergeant Spearmen and Arab spearmen in Toulouse but the pool should be only half in recovering and half maximum available units.

I know, this suggestion requires a lot of work, but it would be awesome.

Cheers guys.

I have this general suggestion: Settings that in "vanilla" SS6.4 had been tested excessively, have been proved that they don't have balance issues nor cause bugs and they don't need rebalancing for Titanium's goals, should be kept as they are. Don't make changes just for making changes. Some things are very easy to break up...

Quote Originally Posted by gsthoed View Post
    I have this general suggestion: Settings that in "vanilla" SS6.4 had been tested excessively, have been proved that they don't have balance issues nor cause bugs and they don't need rebalancing for Titanium's goals, should be kept as they are. Don't make changes just for making changes. Some things are very easy to break up...
    Me knows...

So what do you guys think about my suggestions ???

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    So what do you guys think about my suggestions ???
    gsthoed answered this in post#84.

It's not that your ideas are bad, they are not.
    It's just that it is an enormous amount of work just to implement one change in the game, like adjusting upkeep costs.
    To make all the changes you recommend would require a wide consensus on their expected benefits and still we wouldn't know if we would break the game implementing them.
    Keep in mind we are amateurs and hobbyists, not software wizzards.
    There are those things we just don't know how to do ourselves even if they are doable.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    gsthoed answered this in post#84.

It's not that your ideas are bad, they are not.
    It's just that it is an enormous amount of work just to implement one change in the game, like adjusting upkeep costs.
    To make all the changes you recommend would require a wide consensus on their expected benefits and still we wouldn't know if we would break the game implementing them.
    Keep in mind we are amateurs and hobbyists, not software wizzards.
    There are those things we just don't know how to do ourselves even if they are doable.
    Ah..I see he was kind of generalist so I didn`t notice.

I know, but if you guys don`t have RR as a base then the units are already balanced.

Will the capping of the settlements take that much time?You need to make large and huge cities need two resources.Resource one that would enable only large cities and resource two that enables both large and huge.Voila.

I realise that the AOR suggestion is gargantuan work.Maybe a reduced version with like the most used two units in all the regions?

Ahhh...one can only dream.I feel you guys, with work on your hand you barely have time for hobbies.

Cheers.

Since here we deal with the "what ifs" every settlement should remain with the potential to turn into a huge city. The causes that certain cities became the capitals of the world during the medieval ages was because they were on strategic places according to the needs of their time, as well as patronage and decision of their rulers...in any case i'd prefer to make the settlement development a bit harder for the player at least.

My previous comment was a general suggestion, not directly related to ShockBlast' post. What I think of these suggestions:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1.Units - make the upkeep represent the power of the unit.RR has it wrong, feudal nobles - knights - weren`t payed for fighting when they were on campaign, they fought for free because that is part of their oath in exchange for the lands they get to rule over.Of course that would cause imbalances if some units are free so we should keep in mind we are playing a game so it would be far easier to balance the units, and the game as a hole, if the upkeep reflects the fighting capabilities.

a) If feudal nobles-knights have free upkeep and the upkeep is to represent the power of the unit, how much militia units upkeep cost should be?
    b) "... they fought for free because that is part of their oath in exchange for the lands they get to rule over": Offering service in exchange of lands does not count as free.

2.Cap settlements. A no brainer, all settlements becoming huge cities?That is not quite what happened.Huge and large cities should be rare and minor cities should be mainstream.

Titanium's base mod is SS6.4. Huge and large cities are already rare and minor cities are mainstream. And SS6.4 team didn't use any cap to achieve this; only few settlement had base farm level 2.5 or 3 and, even for these, you need a general with high chivalry and <decrease squalor> to stay for some time in residence in order to become huge cities/citadels.
    My opinion is that we should keep it as it is; just some tweaks to the relevant triggers in EDCT/EDA to balance for the longer lifespan of generals due to 2TPY aging and it will be fine.

3.Bind units with huge pools to a geographical area.For example Sergeant Spearmen and Light Swordsmen should be bound to western and central Europe and if a Muslim faction gets a foothold in western Europe then they should have access to levies and mainstream professionals.Of course more advanced units like Chivalric knights, elite longbowmen etc. should remain exclusive to the western faction.This is just an example, the opposite should be true, a western faction should not be able to hire elite Muslim units if they get a foothold, only mainstream units.

So any faction should get access to half of the pool of all mainstream units of the geographic area and half of their own pool of mainstream units in a geographical area different from their own.A muslim faction for example should access to both Sergeant Spearmen and Arab spearmen in Toulouse but the pool should be only half in recovering and half maximum available units.

What you describe is known as an AoR/ZoR system and it is already implemented in the base mod.
    Last edited by gsthoed; September 16, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

@gsthoed
    Thanks for the answer.

When I said for free I meant that no money are paid from the treasury.

Good to know that it`s hard as hell to bring the majority of cities up to max level.

You are right, I am describing a ZoR rather than just a simple AoR.But it`s a huge amount of work.

AoR might need a revision indeed for making it more even for westerners and easterners alike, but I suppose that will be done when playable factions and their rosters are set.

About the implementation in Titanium of the KER part that is discussed here and at subsequent posts: I suggest the additional turmoil to be applied only if the settlement is taken from its "legal" owner. If the owner is not he "legal" one, just keep the usual turmoil that is added when a general captures a settlement.

...additional turmoil to be applied only if the settlement is taken from its "legal" owner.
    How much "additional"?

If the owner is not he "legal" one, just keep the usual turmoil that is added when a general captures a settlement.
    Keep it for how long?
    When is a captured settlement pacified?

@Paleologos: About how much additional: I have no specific suggestion for this and I trust Melooo182 in this. About how long: It depends on several things. The thumb rule is that the bigger the turmoil, the longer it takes for the settlement to be "pacified".

Any plans to incorporate Sandy's Western Unit Overhaul and CSUR ( Complete Sicilian Unit Redo) units in next version ?

Chef_Jimmy's Avatar Libertus

What about new features in newer total war games? A fog of war I seen used 1st in NTW3, then in Rome 2.... maybe give the can hide anywhere ability to every unit on the EDU, which gives rise to a need for scouting. Was thinking about trying that out myself, as it wouldn't be hard to do & I could see how it plays out kind of easy. A dynamic siege script would be nice too. The more turns a settlement is under siege, the more buildings within it are destroyed. I don't know how to script that off hand. Is there a unit in M2TW that remains hidden while moving?

heyya jimmy

I guess you're probably posting from a tablet or Sphone but could you please try placing some line spaces, so your posts are easier to read on a PC? thanks

Im not that versed with the EDU but making every unit able to hide everywhere would defeat the point of having units specialized for that :/, dunno what others think about this.

The Dyn Siege script sounds like a good idea but not sure if it's possible, maybe something can be done with the garrison script extending it to have some negative effect the longer a settlement is under siege or something like that, I leave that to Gsthoed .

About hidden moving units, I haven't seen any...I think is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy View Post
    Is there a unit in M2TW that remains hidden while moving?
    Not that I know off and I've been messing with the EDU ever since it was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Im not that versed with the EDU but making every unit able to hide everywhere would defeat the point of having units specialized for that :/, dunno what others think about this.
    I am negative about it, on the grounds that the AI cannot cope with it.
    The game's original battle engine takes for granted that scouting is performed and if you really want fog of war the game features something even more realistic: the option to restrict your battlemap view to the vicinity of your troops. If memory serves, this option has been around since -at least- the first M-TW.

Chef_Jimmy's Avatar Libertus

just ideas for yas... haven't played in a minute, & am anxiously waiting RC 2.0 Just thinking about realism. Good answers above. Maybe disabling of the mini map would make it seem realer. I've noticed in

other total war games, slower combat seems to make it more enjoyable & seem realer. Outside of pure genius tactics & extenuating circumstances, playing out battles of thousands in over a hour seems more

enjoyable than battles lasting 15 mins. More time to think about strategy & implement tactics, when units hold longer & take causalities at a slower pace. It's also nice to have to rebuild damaged buildings in a

settlement after a siege in Shogun 2. Adding to the attrition effect, other than a settlement just having a set amount time it can withstand a siege. Those numbers have been adjusted to 2YPT haven't they? I'm

assuming the campaign map has also been adjusted for movement & path finding issues of the AI. I read settlements being within a turn of each other makes for more effective AI actions. Read a deal on other

AI's & their claims... such as naval incursions & what not, has me wondering what may or may not been implemented in my mod of choice.