Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Europa IV Empire

Default Post Your Europa IV Empire

My first game as Portugal playing on default settings.

Trying to stay isolated from Europe and focus exclusively on colonization and trade. My first impression is that on normal there is simply no challenge. I'm steamrolling through tech and haven't been threatened by a European nation. Even so, I'm playing through simply to test out the national ideas / tech trees.

Some things to note: Unlike a lot of reviews I've seen here and on other boards, France was completely destroyed and no real threat to anyone. I think at this point they are down to 1 province. Netherlands formed. Spain ate Aragon and a good chunk of France. Poland is much bigger than other games I've seen on other boards. This is circa 1570 I believe.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Post Your Europa IV Empire

By "Tech" I think you mean number of Ideas? Because technology is not dependent on your economy. You can get ahead in technology, but the other nations will catch up.

As for Ideas, I've noticed the AI are really broken when it comes to getting Ideas which could be the reason why only Spain is colonising. It makes them very weak.

I must admit that normal is really easy. I played Burgundy my first game and formed the netherlands at tech lvl10. I went for a land+trade combination and could afford an enormous army with the money I made. With that army I proceded to break Austria and France and every german nation that started to rise. I only got into the colonial game in 1550 when I got the exploration idea group and I still had plenty of room to colonise. Also, the dutch Ideas made sure my navy could be easily 150 ships big with only the dutch lands under my control. With that kind of forcelimit you can easily have 120 light ships to protect trade and 20 big ships to fight AI navies, which are crap tbh. I will post a screenshot at some point.
    ''Holy hell that Scythe is overpowerd! Death should be nerfed!''

Right, I get that the ideas and trade are two different things. I'm steamrolling through it because I've been fortunate with my rulers. I had a 5/5/1 and a 5/4/5 The rest have been average, and only one completely awful monarch.

Here's my first go at the game. (I also own Lombardia since that screen, now its just waiting for admin tech 10 until I can form Italy)

When you're used to eu3, it's quite easy to get the hang of it tbh...

Eu4 Tuscany

My Byzantine campaign, playing on Ironman, so had to start a new game a few times when the Ottomans declared war on me too early. I also have rather bad inflation due to all the loans I had to take out near the start. Also does anyone know which provinces count as the region of Greece for the purposes of the "Triumph for Greece" event thing you can get. I thought I had pretty much conquered them all but couldn't enact it, so I'm thinking maybe Edirne or Crete are counted as part of it?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I suppose you could look at the region mapmode. Which is probably hidden under the more map types button.

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

I am the HRE. Not very large but certainly very rich and poweful. In fact it's kinda boring now that I can beat everyone. But the AI isn't as stupid as some people say - the Ottomans always use forced march against me and as you can see the Europeans are colonising quite a lot of land there. So I'd say they are using their points pretty decently.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Thats one of the largest AI Ottoblobs i've seen yet in EU4 Neoton. I'll post my non Iron-man in progress Byzantium game later.

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

Actually the Ottomans aren't that big as half of this is actually Tripoli. It's deceiving because they have alsmost the same minimap colors and the image is compressed.

That Tripoli is then even more impressive than the Ottomans when combined

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    Actually the Ottomans aren't that big as half of this is actually Tripoli. It's deceiving because they have alsmost the same minimap colors and the image is compressed.
    Ah that makes more sense now. I annexed Tripoli in my game as the Byzantines. This my Empire after todays progress. My goal for the 18th century is to Annex Italy into Byzantium along with parts of Austria and Hungary. Don't think i'll have time for Spain and France though :/ Also most of the land has been converted to Orthodox Including Mecca and Medina , only the most recent conquests in Eastern Africa and Arabia are still Islamic.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jaketh; August 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Thats a long game, have you westernised? How did it go?

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

I westernized around 1600 as i was critically far behind the likes of Spain and France in tech, it took about 30 years for my stability to get back on track but once it did by 1700 im now farther ahead in tech then most nations and on par with Spain and France.

Wow Jaketh your empire is impressive! Could you explain in detail how did you manage to survive start?

double

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

at the point u are now surely u can just steamroll all u want? u must be over the threshold by now.

tho saying that im unsure how much overextension would harm you doing that.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    at the point u are now surely u can just steamroll all u want? u must be over the threshold by now.

Overextension can be pretty brutal, on my first campaign as Portugal I annexed all of Shawnee all at once when I was already at 68% overextension, taking me to 196% overextension altogether. I ended up with ~120 regiments across my Empire in 1508. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and decided to just start a new campaign, which has gone infinitely better.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Wow Jaketh your empire is impressive! Could you explain in detail how did you manage to survive start?
    Thanks Taking out loans as needed to construct a navy of around 25 Galleys to block any Ottoman Army in Anatolia from crossing the straight and seiging Byzantium, this allowed my small army free reign to attack Ottoman European lands, the first 2 wars were pretty tough but by around 1500 they were being steamrolled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post

My Ovterextension at the moment is 128% so revolts are popping up regularly, luckily as you can see im about to core some lands fairly soon. At this point the only nations that can harm me are Spain, Austria and France but only if they ally. When i attack Italy im hoping they dont band together, an alliance of those three is the only thing that can bring me down at this point. I havent had a chance to play since that screenshot but i should make some progress this weekend.

First full play through with Ming, picked an easy one as I've never played an EU game before. Great game. I probably should have conquered a bit more but this is as good as it gets so far, full westernization.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast