Thread: Some notes about bribing generals

Default Some notes about bribing generals

I found a couple of intersting things about bribing in this game that i would like to share.

1. Try to not kill off generals in a battle. After a battle generally the losing officers loyalty drops. If you capture any generals release at the end of battle. This makes your battles a bit tougher because youll need to try to kill off the majority of the enemy units. Then u wil need to surround the enemy general unit with infantry then charge wit cavalry. The reason you surround witn infantry is ao your cavalry wont hit the general sibce your infantry blocking them. The morale will still drop though for the generals unit. This will make the general rout and flee the battle.

2. If you see an unaligned general in your enemies territory bribe him and then recruit mercenaries. Try moving the general around the diffrent provinces to access new recruitment pools. Sometimes u can get a good sized stack and take an enemies undefended city. Suprise attack?

3. Some factions have low loyalty generals. Lu bu and zhang yan are two that come to mind. You can sometimes bribe two generals and their army for under 10k. Dont feel afraid to bribe an allies generals. Far as i know its not an act of aggression.

havuk's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Some notes about bribing generals

Actually, almost all factions have bribe-able generals except for the three major ones, cao, liu, and sun. Of course there are exceptions such as famous officers like yan liang and wen chou from Yuan Shao's faction. Although some famous officers that were meant to switch sides are easier like taichi ci.

Ive tested that most of Liu Biao's, Lu Bu's, Ba shu's, Kong Rong's, Liu Yao's, Zhang Yan's and Li Jue's generals can be bribed. havent tested gongsun du, nanman, xiliang, and gongsun zan but its probably possible for most of their generals too. Yuan shu's faction is pretty loyal as well (i maybe wrong though)

Also if you noticed, loyalty changes every turn between two values. (for ex., one turn a general will have 5 loyalty and then the next 8 loyalty, the next turn he will have 5 again. so make sure you look at an enemys general's loyalty the turn after if youre planning on bribing them since they may be bribe-able the next turn) An exception for this rule are generals that have maxed loyalty which are usually from the three main factions never drop loyalty, but maybe they drop later in the campaign since i havent played very far in.

and also bribing neutral factions generals lowers your reputation towards them. i bribed like 5 ba-shu faction generals as Xiliang and my reputation became abyssal lol. i actually wanted them to attack me since they would usually have generals to lead the charge.

i stole almost all of zhang yans generals as his ally.

Also does anyone know if faction heirs are hard coded in med 2 to not be bribable or is it just this game? The reason i ask is because i noticed if you kill Yuan shao Yuan shang becomes faction leader like history and yuan tan gets the trait disgruntled. But he also becomes heir apparent so you cant bribe him away from yuan clan even though his loyalty is low. I would love to have yuan tan on my side and fighting against his own brother. Maybe the developers could then code it so that after you defeat yuan shang, yuan tan goes back to yuan clan or becomes rebel or something to simulate him turning against whoever helped him defeat his brother like how he did with cao cao.

In every mod I've ever played the faction heir has always been unbribeable so I would assume that even an intensely disloyal faction heir would still be functioning as faction heir rather than as a regular general

Ah so whats the point of making him low loyalty as faction heir if it doesnt do anything?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

The heir probably has low Fealty, and fealty effects more than just loyalty.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

He gets a trait after shang becomes leader called disgruntled sets his loyalty to 2 and doesnt change.

RP flavor then. I would have to check what other mechanics are affected by loyalty.

Ah ok Just for rp then. You might be able to expand on some event involving that at a later date.

what script controls loyalty? I would like to do my own modifications of the barbarians but i cant seem to figure out why some rebel generals keep low loyalty like yan rou and shi xies officers but the other barbarians all get 10 loyalty.

I would just search JnA8000 in EDCT, as that would be the easiest.

I tried searching around the JnA8000 to mess around with the loyalty in EDCT but no dice on making the barbarians stay at a lower loyalty. I even looked at their individual biography traits, nothing there seems to affect loyalty change. I looked at several traits associated with barbarian generals and they dont seem to deal with increasing loyalty. I am only trying to make them behave like the barbarian general Yan Rou who seems to be the only bribable barbarian. Is there a certain trait assigned to them that isnt assigned to Yan Rou that i am missing that makes it so their loyalty increases every turn? Or is there a script that specifically targets those generals by name to increase loyalty. There is only a few barbarians I am trying to make bribable, the ones who actually lent forces to Han warlords. I dont want to lower all barbarians loyalties.