Thread: The Didymian Militant Order

Default The Didymian Militant Order

The Militant Order of Didymus
    Founded 1204 Anno Domini
    "But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes. 1 John 2:11"

Founded by Father Thomas Malet
    Mission
    To purge the new Latin Empire of the east of heresy of any sort, to make safe and pure those ancient sanctuaries of Christ and return them to the pious, true pratcice of the Roman Rite. The old rifts must be healed in order to move forward by conversion and re-education. No enemy of the spiritual of martial sort must stand in the way of the reconciliation of the eastern church with the west. The decree of Pope Innocentius III provides the charter, the mission, and the directive of this fraternal brotherhood.

The intellectual inspiration for the order, as well as its proposed patron saint, is Saint Didymus the Blind, a man renowned for his imminent blindness, and also his spiritual character and intelligence. He did not shirk from conflict, but sought to educate with either a firm or soft hand. He also stood against eastern heresies at a time that they posed a severe threat to the stability of the Mother Church

Oath

I, ____, being of sound spiritual standing, do hereby bind myself to the Didymian Order and pledge to support its mission, uphold its tenets, and give my life to see its holy destiny fulfilled. I testify that i believe in One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic church. I reject satan and all messengers of evil. I pledge my support and my fealty to the Grand Marshall of this Order as my spiritual director and my superior. I shall respect vows of charity, of poverty, and of chastity. I pledge to draw my sword only to smite the wicked, and I shall treat charitably any innocent soul, even unbelievers, who seek my protection.

Additional Strictures
    I. Members must tithe annually
    II. Members shall not engage in any unsanctioned military action.
    III. Sanctioned military action is defined as follows: Any military action ordained and approved by any member holding the rank of Marshall or higher, or any action taken in the defense of clergy, laymen, or the Church and her possessions.
    IV. members will observe vows of chastity, honor, and povery (excepting in cases where the financial wellbeing of the Order is concerned)
    V. Supporters of the Order will be granted a title of Guarantor for providing financial or military assistance, and shall be the recipient of daily prayers from the brothers and protection as considered appropriate by the proper authorities

Heirarchy

Grand Marshall: This office was for life, and the Grand Master was in charge of the entire Order, worldwide. Throughout history, a couple of men retired from the position of Grand Master, with the pope's permission, but for the most part, dying was the only way out of the job.
    Marshall: The Marshal was in charge of all arms, as well as all horses. He was very much a military man
    Turcopolier: This officer was the third in line militarily. He was in command of the light cavalry and the Sergeant brothers
    Under-Marshall: The first officer under the Marshal, the Under-Marshal was in charge of the lesser equipment, bridles, padding for saddles, barrels of water, and other supply problems. He held a very important position in battle because he held the piebald banner, a flag at the head of all, to keep stragglers together.
    Knight: The knight was the backbone of the battlefield. Knights were the equivalent of the cavalry. A small force of knights was very powerful, skilled in warfare, clad in armor, able to take on a large number of foot soldiers. Only a man whose father and grandfather both had been knights could become one, and if he were caught lying about his lineage, the penalty was severe.
    Sergeant: Usually from a lower social class than the more noble knights, the Sergeant was still a light cavalry officer, the chief support officer for the knight.
    Squire: Squires were the young men who were there to assist the knight in any way possible, from polishing his weapons to feeding his horses. Squires were there specifically to test themselves and their mettle and to climb to the order of Knight.

Partial Membership

Any that provide monetary or military contribution, as needed, shall become provisional members under article V of the Order Strictures.

Members

Grand Marshall: Father Thomas Malet
    Turcopolier: Gregory Opus

Headquarters Details
    none
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 12, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: The Didymian Militant Order

Malet sends this proposal to the Holy See for approval

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

I give my seal of approval! Now just to wait for BF and Addy.

Already have plans to make a good knightly char who has some military experience.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 12, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

I approve.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Yeah, whatevs, looks good to me.

(OOC: I hope you meant this one since going to the 'Holy tower' would result into a rip in space-time continuum, and the first rule they taught us in advanced physics was: never rip space-time continuum, it will fudge your shyt up!)

Godfrey stepped into the room, still dressed in chainmail and armour since the events from the throne room, he gazed around at the light that trickled in from the leadlight windows and at the figure portrayed in them. It reminded him of the Chapel of St. Michael and St. Goedele in Brussels, where he had spent the night before receiving his knighthood
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

another question: what rule do we follow? since Didymus was a Coptic and lived before any congregations or orders were yet established
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.