Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great War | Easy Step-By-Step Installation Guides (video + text w/ images)

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default The Great War | Easy Step-By-Step Installation Guides (video + text w/ images)

The Great War 5.0 - Installation Guides

If you're having trouble getting the 5.0 launcher to work, here are two alternative installation guides that help you through the manual install option.

Update:
    with 5.1, we extensively tested the launcher using our proud army of beta testers before releasing it. If you for any reason still encounter launcher issues, this guide should solve your problems: however bear in mind that it was intended for a complete uninstallation and reinstallation of 5.0, and that some minor details may have changed with 5.1 (but the guide should still be completely compatible).

Video Installation Guide - by Point_Man

Guide

NTW MODMANAGER: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/n...mod/35961.html
    The Great War Mod 5.0: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-DOWNLOAD-HERE

Easy Step-By-Step Alternative Installation Guide (with images!) - by Aanker

Guide Hello! Unfortunately there have been issues with installing the mod the conventional - intended - way and therefore this step-by-step guide aims to provide instructions for installing the contents of The_Great_War_5.0.zip in the non-conventional way. This is actually a tried and tested way of launching mods with the E:TW-N:TW series of games and is usually regarded as the "classical" method.

First, you will need Mod Manager, which you grab from the link below. Follow the installation instructions and install Mod Manager where you see fit (I put it in My Documents):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?344757-Mod-Manager-for-NTW

Then, you will of course need The_Great_War_5.0.zip. Unzip it in a location far away from the napoleon total war/data folder so as to avoid any collision with the files in there. I put the contents of said .zip in My Documents, where I can easily access it and grab the files I need.

Before you proceed with the guide, you need to make sure you have first properly tried to get the Launcher working. If you can get the Launcher to work, your future mod experience will be much easier given the fluid update system we have intended for the mod:

1. Run vanilla N:TW (no mod, e.g. _GreatWar5_ files in your data folder at all), start a campaign, save a file. This will create a profile in the game. Of course, if you have had N:TW installed for a long time and played many games this will not be an issue.
    2. Launch the Launcher as an Admin. This will need to be done every time you intend to use the Launcher. If the Launcher is not given the permissions it needs, the files that have to be moved will not be moved.

If these fixes did not work, you will have to use the classical installation method.

1. Remove ALL _GreatWar5_ files from your C:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/napoleon total war/data folder. All files from the Great War Mod have this prefix, so the task should be relatively easy. Also make sure to remove any Great War Mod folders that have been installed in this location.

2. Launch Mod Manager:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

3. If you have correctly deleted all _GreatWar5_ files from your /data folder, your ModManager should be blank, like in the picture. Launch the game through the "Launch" button to confirm that the game you have is in fact entirely vanilla now.

4. Go to the place where you unzipped your The_Great_War_5.0.zip contents. Enter the folders and go to the location The Great War 5.0/data/The Great War/Files.

5. Copy all the files marked in blue in the image (e.g. every file with the _GreatWar5_ prefix). Ignore the ones marked in red and do not copy anything from the optional folder. These files are the main Great War files.

6. Paste the files you copied into C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/napoleon total war/data. When they have been pasted into this /data folder, it should look something like this:

7. Now relaunch or refresh ModManager (by ticking & unticking the "Show All Pack Files" option which you should otherwise have disabled, e.g. unticked). If you installed all the files correctly, you should see a lot of files with the _GreatWar5_ prefix listed in ModManager. Tick them all, but do not launch the game just yet. we have one final thing to do. For extra safety, pick the load order I have in my ModManager list (you adjust the positions of individual packs by selecting them, then using the arrow buttons next to the "Launch" button).

8. Go back to your The Great War 5.0 folder. Then, go into the /data subfolder and after that into the /campaigns subfolder of that subfolder (so that the path is .../The Great War 5.0/data/campaigns). Here, you should see a ww1_main folder. Copy the ww1_main folder.

9. Proceed to C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/napoleon total war/data/campaigns (note the campaigns subfolder at the end). Paste ww1_main into the /campaigns subfolder and let it merge with any previous folders and overwrite any files you may have already had in a ww1_main folder (e.g. if you had previously attempted to install the mod in some fashion).

10. Relaunch or refresh ModManager (by ticking & unticking the "Show All Pack Files" option). Now click the "Launch" button. Again, make sure all _GreatWar5_ files that are available for the ModManager are ticked.

11. Enjoy your game!

Last edited by King Sama; December 13, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: The Great War | EASY STEP-BY-STEP ALTERNATIVE INSTALLATION GUIDE (with images!)

what about the lots of fixes this mods needs? economy , french flags and then crash , battle crashes ..

Tuhaj bej's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: The Great War | EASY STEP-BY-STEP ALTERNATIVE INSTALLATION GUIDE (with images!)

Hi!

That's all well and good.
    But can you tell what it's made in a version which can run campaigns without error?

I Zagloba - TWO Editor.

In-campagin issues and memory crashes (the overwhelming majority of crashes that occur in battles) are not related to installation issues, this is directed to both posts above.

If your campaign crashes before it starts, or when you're just about to start it, it's an installation issue and this should fix that problem. If it crashes while in the campaign, it's most likely a campaign bug which our campaign creator should take a look at.

To clarify: posts about other issues than installation issues should still be kept to the Bug Reports section.
    Last edited by Aanker; August 12, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

It does work, I can confirm this.

I had tried four different methods before, including this one.. I did however forget to remove the Options pack I added in, as another user told me to and this made it go to vanilla.

Also- I don't know if it's true, but I /THINK/ I reminded you of the having to have a profile in vanilla before you can get it to work, so I hope that helped

I'm assuming updating will be difficult this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeecky View Post
    It does work, I can confirm this.

I had tried four different methods before, including this one.. I did however forget to remove the Options pack I added in, as another user told me to and this made it go to vanilla.

Also- I don't know if it's true, but I /THINK/ I reminded you of the having to have a profile in vanilla before you can get it to work, so I hope that helped

I'm assuming updating will be difficult this way?
    Updating will be a bit more difficult, we will have to upload any updates to separate mirrors to make sure the alternative installation users can also get access to the updates.

Also, spread the word around of this fix! On ModDB the comments disappear so quickly that my efforts to link people to this guide have proven to be a very difficult endeavour.

Indefinitely Banned

Is there any other easier way for me to do this?

Could you not just program the mod to work with just using the installer like it should do?
    I don't like all this messing around, please keep it simple. Thanks

^

You two are really ungratefull, I hope you know that.

Seriously, they worked for years to bring you this- have some gratitude while they fine-tune the mod.
    Last edited by Ishan; August 12, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: easy

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Updating will be a bit more difficult, we will have to upload any updates to separate mirrors to make sure the alternative installation users can also get access to the updates.

Also, spread the word around of this fix! On ModDB the comments disappear so quickly that my efforts to link people to this guide have proven to be a very difficult endeavour.
    Hey Aanker. When a new update is released will information about it be posted to this forum? I'm not sure if it was a bug but when i first got the launcher it updated to something called 5.01.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Pence View Post
    Hey Aanker. When a new update is released will information about it be posted to this forum? I'm not sure if it was a bug but when i first got the launcher it updated to something called 5.01.
    That is correct, you should view the changelog for the instructions on how to get it to work once it has downloaded
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squeecky View Post
    ^

You two are really ungratefull, I hope you know that.

Seriously, they worked for years to bring you this- have some gratitude while they fine-tune the mod.
    I am very grateful for them doing this. Really, I am. Maybe you're really technical, but I'm not and I don't got these fancy zip programs I can do this easily. All I was asking for some help.
    Last edited by Ishan; August 12, 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    That is correct, you should view the changelog for the instructions on how to get it to work once it has downloaded
    I removed the launcher that did that because I had some trouble getting it to launch. I can now play it through the launcher but it doesn't auto update.
    Edit: When I try the alternative method of launching it includes unit cards, and what I assume are the 5.01 fixes. However when I run with just the launcher I have the blank unit cards and lack of sound.
    Last edited by 50 Pence; August 12, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Yeah because of the overwhelming feedback we got from release we will be including a new launcher for the update, which will also fix a number of other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Yeah because of the overwhelming feedback we got from release we will be including a new launcher for the update, which will also fix a number of other issues.
    Ok. Thanks for clearing up the confusion. One last question though. Will the new update be uploaded the same way the main 5.0 download was.

So all of my units have 1 unit. Any way to fix this? do I need to put one of the option packs into my data folder?

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Try putting your preferences.script (in the AppData scripts folder) into a backup folder (do not outright delete it! If it doesn't work you will want to be able to return it), and launch.

this install works great! just wondering how i should get (if its necessary) the auto update from the launcher when using this type of install?
    Thanks

mav61's Avatar Civis

First up nice work guys i have no doubt you will have the issues sorted pretty quick..just wanted to let you know followed the tutorial and managed to get into a custom battle only for it to crash about five minutes after starting, and the campaign is still not functioning...

ZeEmperor's Avatar Semisalis

It may be wrong to say this-but you Sir are a CopyCat,Rex331 posted the same thing in the bugs and issues thread before you did,CopyCat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast