Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: The Great War | 5.1 DOWNLOAD HERE

Civis

Default Re: The Great War | 5.1 DOWNLOAD HERE

Wich places you will post the next version? This and mod DB?
    And if it's posible an estimated date, just to prepare my impatient mind and I know that you do this as a hobby so I will understand all the days or month even years you need.
    Thanks again!!!

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

I cant get past late april 1915 as Britain. I've crashed 4 times in a row now, same turn every single time. Not sure how I could have installed wrong, its just copy and paste and run a launcher under admin.

Is the mod just dead? I've read tens of posts about people CTD'ing during campaign turns, repeatedly, on the same turn, unable to get past it. And I've yet to see any sort of response from anyone that is of any help in fixing the issue.

Is there any possibility that you can make this mod available mac, coz i really want it!

Civis

It actually works you have to search how

Default Re: The Great War | 5.0 DOWNLOAD HERE

I own Napoleon Total War and I want t download this mod but i'm new to modding total war. Do i need a mod manager for this game or do i place it in the files and enter a destination in the steam thing. If i could get a step by step in depth process i would be really happy.

First, I'd like to say THANK YOU to Mitch and the rest of the wonderful, creative genius' who love history, gaming and Total War, for this GREAT Mod about The Great War!
    Second, I'd like to share that I HATE STEAM and how they totally screw with our OFF-LINE game play.

I have been a long time fan of the Total War franchise, since the days of the original Shogun. I was thrilled with Medieval, and totally fell addictively in-love with Rome.
    Then came the notoriously buggy release of Empire, which caused me to shy away from Napoleon for many years after that.
    I so looked forward to Rome II, but heard and read that it was incredibly buggy upon its release as well, plus it was tied to STEAM.
    Much later, when TW Rome Emperor's edition was belatedly released I began reading some really good reviews (finally) and so (despite STEAM) in January 2015, I took the plunge and bought the disks.
    I read that STEAM only required an initial on-line registry and gameplay start, but there after one could play to their hearts content in "Off-Line" mode.
    Initially, I found that to be so.... initially....
    I ended up purchasing and downloaded All of the additional game packs (DLC) for Rome II, and several mods. Loved playing it! In Early 2016, I purchased the discs for Attila TW and found it (with a few "Mod" ifications) to be an almost perfect game as well.
    With sporadic, yet "steady" game play, it usually takes me a few months to finish a campaign, and I after a couple of months I was happily into the near completion of another campaign of Rome Emperor's edition when another one of STEAMs frequent "up-dates" ended my "off-line" Rome II game play.
    I do occasionally go on-line for other business with the same PC that my games are installed, and though I NEVER play my PC games on-line (with the exception of the "initial" mandatory STEAM start), and while on the internet for any other reason, it has been my experience that STEAM wants to automatically "update" itself whenever my PC is on-line.
    That's what happened again, early last June (2017), when afterward I discovered that several of the games that I had (up-to then) been able to play in "off-line" mode (including Civ 5), would no-longer play... I would get a STEAM message stating that that I could not connect to their servers... duh! I'm in off-line mode! All of my game files are on my PC! Why should STEAM servers have anything to do with my playing a game (especially one that I had already been playing "off-line" for a few months)!
    After I regained access to the internet, and reconnected with Steam, I could access and play these games again, but as soon as I went into "off-line" mode, I was again cut-off with the same idiotic STEAM message.
    I began checking and discovered that there were numerous on-line complaints (to and about STEAM) from people just like myself, that hate to play any PC game on-line, and hate STEAM for (repeatedly) doing this to them. I logged in a complaint with STEAM and received a reply that they "were sorry" but had "no solution to the problem at present."
    Prior to this event STEAM has seen fit to annoyingly screw with their once workable "Mod" loader and even remove some of the Mods from "my" personalized Mod folder, even though they had previously worked flawlessly!
    God! How I yearn for the days (Before STEAM) when we PC "owners" used to have more control of "our" PC's. When we bought "our" original disks and downloaded the individual mods we wanted, and played "our" games without continuous need for the internet!
    Anyway! I began checking through my Total War games to see which of them were still not affected by this latest STEAM ! I discovered that among a few were TW Attila and Napoleon, and then discovered THE GREAT WAR MOD!
    I downloaded both the 5.1 version and the 5.1.4 patch, installed in the Napoleon folder as instructed, created a shortcut from your wonderful Launcher, and for the last month have been happily immersed in this wonderfully detailed Mod.
    I first played a few of the "battles" to get a handle of some of the different units and game play, before engaging into my first campaign, as the United Kingdom!
    I realize that this is not a new Mod, and Mitch's last post was edited April 2, 2014 (a little over 3 years ago), so perhaps my in-put (at this time) falls upon deaf ears... but just in case some of those wonderfully talented modders still check this thread, I'll provide a little detail of my experience.
    First, some technical data: my PC is a high-end notebook, with 1080 HD monitor, Intel i7-4910MQ (2.90GHz) CPU, 32 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M GPU. My OS is Windows 7 Professional (64bit) Service Pack 1. I have 4 internal (1TB) SSD drives (2 are mSATA), and my games are on one of them.
    The notebook sits on an aluminum Cooler Master stand, with 3 fans for additional air flow.
    This system allows me to play both TW Rome Emperor's edition and Attila at full throttle, everything at maxed settings, with no real problem.
    However, I quickly discovered that this would not be the case with the THE GREAT WAR mod!
    First I realized with all my settings maxed that during a long battle the game would crash!
    I did some checking and realized that this was because both my CPU and GPU went into the redzone in heat overload, and to prevent themselves from frying, those systems would shut down the offending game.
    My hardware is certainly ample, but because it's housed inside a cramped notebook, the lack of air flow leads to such overheating that most definitely would not occur if it were housed in a more ample case.
    So, in order to play this great Mod I sadly had to cut back a bit on some of the settings to allow my PC to run "cool" enough to play the game without it shutting down during an extended battle.
    I still notice during a battle that some of the artillery fire will be so startling (and realistically) loud that my external speaker shuts itself off! I think some of those blast frequencies are beyond it's capabilities. So I have been down adjusting the effects volume to help minimize that problem.
    As said, this is my first campaign (playing as the UK) and the game's present dateline is Late January 1917. So I am not commenting on a completed campaign, but one still in progress.
    If this mod was still a work in-progress, I would say that it appears to be close to perfect as is. But there are a few relatively minor issues that I have thus far noticed.

1) Though playing as the UK, in campaign mode most of the screen characters speak back to me in Spanish?
    In Battle screen mode, the characters appear to speak in their appropriate native languages, but since (thus far) I've only engaged the Germans and Austro-Hungarians (in land battles), my observations are limited!
    2) In Battle mode all of the ships are still of Napoleonic wood and sail and require broadsides to be effective, not the iron ships of the dreadnought age!
    3) After constructing the highest level cavalry building in England, I cannot recruit the two stripe experience level of either Australian Light horse or carbine cavalry, as depicted in the pop-up description. However, they are available at the appropriate rank from buildings outside of my home territory.
    4) In campaign mode, my "Spy" is an early 19th century "Gentleman" and NOT an airplane? (although he is apparently capable of conducting "bombing missions."
    5) Off course, all of those amusing dueling videos are from Napoleon as well.
    6) In Battle mode, I've noticed that the effective field of fire areas all point backwards on all three types of machine gun units? (However, and thankfully, in action they still fire frontwards. It just makes it a bit difficult when positioning them for battle.)
    7) Some of the unit description cards are either inappropriate or absent for some of the units?
    8) In Battle mode, when attacking a town (I've only captured/recaptured two at this point) the AI defenders stand static, facing backwards to my battle line, and allow them selves to be blown to smithereens by my artillery. They neither counterattack, nor take evasive action unless I make an effort to fight them at close quarters with infantry or cavalry.
    9) In Campaign mode It would be really helpful for more efficient strategizing to have the pop-ups in the technology tree describe all of the technology quirks (buildings and previous technologies, etc.) that are required to successfully implement technology!
    10) ????
    The above are not game killers by any means, more like simple imperfect annoyances in a game mod that otherwise (for me) almost achieves perfection.
    Aside from perhaps the AI, I believe that most of the minor technical issues mentioned can/could be easily corrected by the designers of this mod. However, I imagine that changing the ship graphics and other videos would be quite a project!

All in all, I love this mod, and if I can successfully complete this campaign (without some unforeseen killer glitch) then I look forward to playing as each of the major and minor powers in future campaigns!

I cannot state often enough that modders are the life blood of these strategy games.
    After one has tired of playing the vanilla versions, one can be reinvigorated numerous times, again, again, and again, by the creative genius the game loving modders!

How many older games, long past their Vanilla prime, and been reborn again by some outstanding Mod?
    How many of us have bought, and bought again one of our old games because we read about (or saw a UTube video) of a great game mod for it?

And, in too many instances, it has been the modders who have saved an otherwise promising game from oblivion by correcting and making playable a game that was rushed to market full of bugs and glitches.

Modders perform an unsung (and profitable) good for the PC gaming industry!
    Modders should be encouraged, NOT discouraged from modding.

To Mitch, and the rest of the talented team from THE GREAT WAR mod, wherever you are, and whatever you are doing, I thank you for your efforts on this Great Mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Cassus Belli View Post
    First, I'd like to say THANK YOU to Mitch and the rest of the wonderful, creative genius' who love history, gaming and Total War, for this GREAT Mod about The Great War!
    Second, I'd like to share that I HATE STEAM and how they totally screw with our OFF-LINE game play.

I have been a long time fan of the Total War franchise, since the days of the original Shogun. I was thrilled with Medieval, and totally fell addictively in-love with Rome.
    Then came the notoriously buggy release of Empire, which caused me to shy away from Napoleon for many years after that.
    I so looked forward to Rome II, but heard and read that it was incredibly buggy upon its release as well, plus it was tied to STEAM.
    Much later, when TW Rome Emperor's edition was belatedly released I began reading some really good reviews (finally) and so (despite STEAM) in January 2015, I took the plunge and bought the disks.
    I read that STEAM only required an initial on-line registry and gameplay start, but there after one could play to their hearts content in "Off-Line" mode.
    Initially, I found that to be so.... initially....
    I ended up purchasing and downloaded All of the additional game packs (DLC) for Rome II, and several mods. Loved playing it! In Early 2016, I purchased the discs for Attila TW and found it (with a few "Mod" ifications) to be an almost perfect game as well.
    With sporadic, yet "steady" game play, it usually takes me a few months to finish a campaign, and I after a couple of months I was happily into the near completion of another campaign of Rome Emperor's edition when another one of STEAMs frequent "up-dates" ended my "off-line" Rome II game play.
    I do occasionally go on-line for other business with the same PC that my games are installed, and though I NEVER play my PC games on-line (with the exception of the "initial" mandatory STEAM start), and while on the internet for any other reason, it has been my experience that STEAM wants to automatically "update" itself whenever my PC is on-line.
    That's what happened again, early last June (2017), when afterward I discovered that several of the games that I had (up-to then) been able to play in "off-line" mode (including Civ 5), would no-longer play... I would get a STEAM message stating that that I could not connect to their servers... duh! I'm in off-line mode! All of my game files are on my PC! Why should STEAM servers have anything to do with my playing a game (especially one that I had already been playing "off-line" for a few months)!
    After I regained access to the internet, and reconnected with Steam, I could access and play these games again, but as soon as I went into "off-line" mode, I was again cut-off with the same idiotic STEAM message.
    I began checking and discovered that there were numerous on-line complaints (to and about STEAM) from people just like myself, that hate to play any PC game on-line, and hate STEAM for (repeatedly) doing this to them. I logged in a complaint with STEAM and received a reply that they "were sorry" but had "no solution to the problem at present."
    Prior to this event STEAM has seen fit to annoyingly screw with their once workable "Mod" loader and even remove some of the Mods from "my" personalized Mod folder, even though they had previously worked flawlessly!
    God! How I yearn for the days (Before STEAM) when we PC "owners" used to have more control of "our" PC's. When we bought "our" original disks and downloaded the individual mods we wanted, and played "our" games without continuous need for the internet!
    Anyway! I began checking through my Total War games to see which of them were still not affected by this latest STEAM ! I discovered that among a few were TW Attila and Napoleon, and then discovered THE GREAT WAR MOD!
    I downloaded both the 5.1 version and the 5.1.4 patch, installed in the Napoleon folder as instructed, created a shortcut from your wonderful Launcher, and for the last month have been happily immersed in this wonderfully detailed Mod.
    I first played a few of the "battles" to get a handle of some of the different units and game play, before engaging into my first campaign, as the United Kingdom!
    I realize that this is not a new Mod, and Mitch's last post was edited April 2, 2014 (a little over 3 years ago), so perhaps my in-put (at this time) falls upon deaf ears... but just in case some of those wonderfully talented modders still check this thread, I'll provide a little detail of my experience.
    First, some technical data: my PC is a high-end notebook, with 1080 HD monitor, Intel i7-4910MQ (2.90GHz) CPU, 32 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M GPU. My OS is Windows 7 Professional (64bit) Service Pack 1. I have 4 internal (1TB) SSD drives (2 are mSATA), and my games are on one of them.
    The notebook sits on an aluminum Cooler Master stand, with 3 fans for additional air flow.
    This system allows me to play both TW Rome Emperor's edition and Attila at full throttle, everything at maxed settings, with no real problem.
    However, I quickly discovered that this would not be the case with the THE GREAT WAR mod!
    First I realized with all my settings maxed that during a long battle the game would crash!
    I did some checking and realized that this was because both my CPU and GPU went into the redzone in heat overload, and to prevent themselves from frying, those systems would shut down the offending game.
    My hardware is certainly ample, but because it's housed inside a cramped notebook, the lack of air flow leads to such overheating that most definitely would not occur if it were housed in a more ample case.
    So, in order to play this great Mod I sadly had to cut back a bit on some of the settings to allow my PC to run "cool" enough to play the game without it shutting down during an extended battle.
    I still notice during a battle that some of the artillery fire will be so startling (and realistically) loud that my external speaker shuts itself off! I think some of those blast frequencies are beyond it's capabilities. So I have been down adjusting the effects volume to help minimize that problem.
    As said, this is my first campaign (playing as the UK) and the game's present dateline is Late January 1917. So I am not commenting on a completed campaign, but one still in progress.
    If this mod was still a work in-progress, I would say that it appears to be close to perfect as is. But there are a few relatively minor issues that I have thus far noticed.

1) Though playing as the UK, in campaign mode most of the screen characters speak back to me in Spanish?
    In Battle screen mode, the characters appear to speak in their appropriate native languages, but since (thus far) I've only engaged the Germans and Austro-Hungarians (in land battles), my observations are limited!
    2) In Battle mode all of the ships are still of Napoleonic wood and sail and require broadsides to be effective, not the iron ships of the dreadnought age!
    3) After constructing the highest level cavalry building in England, I cannot recruit the two stripe experience level of either Australian Light horse or carbine cavalry, as depicted in the pop-up description. However, they are available at the appropriate rank from buildings outside of my home territory.
    4) In campaign mode, my "Spy" is an early 19th century "Gentleman" and NOT an airplane? (although he is apparently capable of conducting "bombing missions."
    5) Off course, all of those amusing dueling videos are from Napoleon as well.
    6) In Battle mode, I've noticed that the effective field of fire areas all point backwards on all three types of machine gun units? (However, and thankfully, in action they still fire frontwards. It just makes it a bit difficult when positioning them for battle.)
    7) Some of the unit description cards are either inappropriate or absent for some of the units?
    8) In Battle mode, when attacking a town (I've only captured/recaptured two at this point) the AI defenders stand static, facing backwards to my battle line, and allow them selves to be blown to smithereens by my artillery. They neither counterattack, nor take evasive action unless I make an effort to fight them at close quarters with infantry or cavalry.
    9) In Campaign mode It would be really helpful for more efficient strategizing to have the pop-ups in the technology tree describe all of the technology quirks (buildings and previous technologies, etc.) that are required to successfully implement technology!
    10) ????
    The above are not game killers by any means, more like simple imperfect annoyances in a game mod that otherwise (for me) almost achieves perfection.
    Aside from perhaps the AI, I believe that most of the minor technical issues mentioned can/could be easily corrected by the designers of this mod. However, I imagine that changing the ship graphics and other videos would be quite a project!

All in all, I love this mod, and if I can successfully complete this campaign (without some unforeseen killer glitch) then I look forward to playing as each of the major and minor powers in future campaigns!

I cannot state often enough that modders are the life blood of these strategy games.
    After one has tired of playing the vanilla versions, one can be reinvigorated numerous times, again, again, and again, by the creative genius the game loving modders!

How many older games, long past their Vanilla prime, and been reborn again by some outstanding Mod?
    How many of us have bought, and bought again one of our old games because we read about (or saw a UTube video) of a great game mod for it?

And, in too many instances, it has been the modders who have saved an otherwise promising game from oblivion by correcting and making playable a game that was rushed to market full of bugs and glitches.

Modders perform an unsung (and profitable) good for the PC gaming industry!
    Modders should be encouraged, NOT discouraged from modding.

To Mitch, and the rest of the talented team from THE GREAT WAR mod, wherever you are, and whatever you are doing, I thank you for your efforts on this Great Mod!
    How were you able to get the mod to work? I'm still trying to figure it out.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112