Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Iron out Total War tech myths

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Iron out Total War tech myths

well seems you team up, not only with your names being crazy. I really do not like to discuss this matter but a SPM and K/D is not objective as you do not play the same game situations on and on with different monitor speeds.
    Then I am not sure how you set your monitor to 30, 60, 90 and 120 Hz dedicated and working. Usally monitors have an optimal setting.

granted non of this matters in Total War games but it does matter in other titles.
    that's all counting here. Thank you for your postings.

Well then. Back to topic?
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

Average over hundreds of hours of play. So the data stands. with 1000's of hours played its no big deal for me to limit the frame rate and try stuff out as I game.

Surprisingly in BF3 at least lower frame rate on a high ping server will actuall help rather than hinder lol.

Anyway yes back on topic. Total War as long as the frame rate is above 30 is perfectly fluid.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Screen Hz and reaction "jitter" to human input are two different things that still today are totally confused. More there is FPS, less "jitter" there is while player looks to a new direction.

With LCD/LED's the input lag time is also something to consider compared to old analog CRT times. There's some good youtube videos showing two screens and guy doing fast moves with the mouse, one screen is slower to respond.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I accept your views but back to topic. For Rome 2 and before this make proovingly no advance.

To show I am accepting your input I edited my posting accordingly.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Well, i have 32 bit system with 3GB ram. should i upgrade them? to 64 bit and 4gb ram?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

That depends on the amount of your graphics card ram. How much is it?

its ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 512MB
    I know its bad but i bought my laptop 3 years ago.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

its plenty bad, even the intel HD4000 is more powerful than that 5450m and no best thing is to buy another notebook, it doesn't make any economic sense to upgrade anything

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Well no need to upgrade 4gb ram or 64bit windows then as 3GB ram + 0.5 still below 3.6.
    Leave everything as it is. Next time please use the hardware advice thread.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

hello everyone,

I've added some more tech myths regarding Total War

This time I am focusing on i7 / hyperthreading performance and the blood patch DLC. Wanna know the answers on this? Read the OP

very informative thread i must say, thanks
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thank you aswell appreciating it.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Any chance the Answer: part to the myth could be renamed to Busted:

I think I'd love it humor is always nice.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I can give it a try but some already now accuse me being kinda wrong. While I haven't seen the opposite evidence.
    Honestly prometheus will love to see it renamed splenyi

64bit system with 8gb+ RAM still has many advantages over 32bit system, even in running 32bit games - with 34bit system, game will get its cca 4gb RAM, while background processes will use remaining RAM, with 32bit system and 4Gb RAM, your background processes will need some RAM space, so there is less RAM available for the game...

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Mm, I tested that on 64bit OSes mate. Can you tell me then why I don't get more or less fps having only 4 GB RAM or even 16? A normal Windows 7 or 8 installment uses about 1 - 2 GB RAM for background processes including those that are not from Windows but third party software. Please remember that no game I've played yet consumed more than 2GB in the task manager and the reason is simple because they would otherwise have to less resources to allocate a proper amount of video RAM. And unless we have situation RAM situation is not conflicting. Or do you use other applications while playing a game (video editing, browsing with chrome)?
    Last edited by alQamar; August 21, 2013 at 04:39 AM.

It depends on how exe is handled.. usually i got better results by adjusting exe to allow large address (Large Address Aware or LAA) space. Some game developers release games with it already (Skyrim got it as a patch) but others do not use it. Without it, usually game can only use 2Gb, so with 4Gb you are still fine. with LAA enabled, game can go up to 4GB.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    It depends on how exe is handled.. usually i got better results by adjusting exe to allow large address (Large Address Aware or LAA) space. Some game developers release games with it already (Skyrim got it as a patch) but others do not use it. Without it, usually game can only use 2Gb, so with 4Gb you are still fine. with LAA enabled, game can go up to 4GB.
    tell me about it, if you played SoaSE you know how the ram gets used up pretty quickly, since it loads everything to the ram and with mods it becomes quite a pain

however I would still go for 64bit will give you better results due to the things that are going to be open in the background, and thats for TW as well, I already made the case for it, but with benches you use a sterile environment, its not uncommon now to have one monitor for the game and the other for other stuff, and I bet no one posted a result like that, everybody that benches will close everything possible

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    however I would still go for 64bit will give you better results due to the things that are going to be open in the background, and thats for TW as well, I already made the case for it, but with benches you use a sterile environment, its not uncommon now to have one monitor for the game and the other for other stuff, and I bet no one posted a result like that, everybody that benches will close everything possible
    My initial CPU bench had a second monitor involved but nothing memory intensive (I'm really quite fussy about closing things I'm not using ). What you get for doing things too quickly
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Myth: TW runs faster with a graphics card with more than 2 GB RAM
    Answer: And another time it is 32 bit game and cannot handle it. Multimonitor is not supported aswell so the game simply do not need more than 2 GB VRAM
    That is not correct. Even if the application is 32 bit, the graphics card might use more than 2GB of VRAM. All graphical settings which are primarily performed by the graphics card drivers might result in more than 2GB VRAM usage, essentially independent of the game engine . Best example is AA and especially SSAA. With 4xSSAA @ 2560x1440, Shogun 2 uses about 2,4GB of VRAM. With 8xSSAA it would probably be over 3GB. Triple buffering would be another example of a driver feature which raises the VRAM usage.

It's still true that in most circumstances, TW games don't need more than 2GB of VRAM but it's not impossible for the game/graphics driver to exceed 2GB of VRAM usage when using high screen resultion + MSAA/SSAA settings.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast