Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Anyone tried the Timurids yet? I captured two Delhi provinces and that shot my overextension to over 100%. The ensuing 150k rebels over the next year whittled my forces down to 2k with no manpower in reserve when I formed the Mughals. What. The. .
    Lol if you still don't understand, its your over extension that's causing the massive revolts. At 100% what do you expect?

Anything below 40% is acceptable imo.

And btw, forming new nations do not give you extra cores (they sometimes give you claims, but no cores) so you can still be at the same level of overextension.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

With claim core creation time would be reduced significantly.

Either way, anyone tries a Brandenburg/HRE minor game? It is endless nightmare of fun, I am not kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I tried a game as them, it turns out that I am losing to all kinds of rebels, since every time I declare war on someone and begin to win, the rebels pop up back at home and I have to recall all I have back to deal with them.

Also, my Romans (i.e. Byzantines) just took over entire region of Anatolia, which is having 40,000 strong rebels every ten years. It is keeping all my armies busy, even those that are really needed in the Balkans. Any tips?
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

People expand too quick, hence God of Overexpansion decides to punish you.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

I played a bit of BB in a MP (3 player game). Failed horribly because I assumed no strong AI nation would help the TO. Then a wild Hungary appeared. So next time, I wont call in Bohemia so that Hungary has access Although, no garentee the TO wont get MA from Poland as well. Speaking of Poland, played a bit of them and I was actually going very good. I had good relations with Bohemia, Austria and Lithuania, so I could easily pick my targets without any risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    I tried a game as them, it turns out that I am losing to all kinds of rebels, since every time I declare war on someone and begin to win, the rebels pop up back at home and I have to recall all I have back to deal with them.

Also, my Romans (i.e. Byzantines) just took over entire region of Anatolia, which is having 40,000 strong rebels every ten years. It is keeping all my armies busy, even those that are really needed in the Balkans. Any tips?
    Stop expanding, fix your stability, over extension, war exhaustion, legitimacy, etc.

If possible, make some vassals in the land you have no cores in, that will solve the Overextension almost immediately, but keep you relatively in control of the area.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    Lol if you still don't understand, its your over extension that's causing the massive revolts. At 100% what do you expect?

Anything below 40% is acceptable imo.

And btw, forming new nations do not give you extra cores (they sometimes give you claims, but no cores) so you can still be at the same level of overextension.
    Obviously. I did say two provinces. Just two. And the Timurids start with claims on all five Delhi provinces and a mission that gives 400 admin power and I believe one stab. You're quite incentivized to immediately conquer them.

EDIT: It all comes down to the base tax in the provinces. One of which is a whopping 11. This is why the overextension was so high and why the rebel stacks were so massive. I may as well have conquered all of Russia in those five provinces- even if I did have claims on them.
    Last edited by Border Patrol; August 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Ah...I meant I was playing Timurids. Truly, I tried to build cores all around, but those territories get overrun by rebels, completely halting my progress.

Brandenburg = ridiculous fun; it is not a wonder why all my neighbours have -200 relation with me and force me to have no choice but conquering them.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

I restored the Pentarchy as Byzantium by conquering Rome and various middle east cities and converting them to Orthodox, almost all of the Former Ottoman territory and conquered Mamluk territory is Christian again. My next goal is to conquer the rest of Egypt, Italy, Arabia (To punish the Sunnis i've been at war with all game) and North Africa to Restore most of the Old Roman Empire. And if i have time make the Med a Roman lake once more but Spain and France are giant Colonial blobs so that may be too much even for me.

Converting Anatolia as Romans is a huge pain. First coring all those lands, then converting all those lands, and then cultural conversion...at the same time fending off rebels for all three situations...

But at least it does stop overextension.

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

How did you manage to take Edirne as the Byzantine Empire? I am playing as them and this province is just a pain in the ***. It's the only one which I am missing for the Thriumph of Greece event. I know that it's their capital but do I have to take every Ottoman province and then go back for it?

Indefinitely Banned

My first campaign with this game was Austria. However since I had been making misuse of my monarch points (using them to get full stab, harsh treat rebels,maintain too much relations) I was left hopelessly behind in tech. Thus I changed to Bohemia and focused on getting tech when it costs less than a thousand points . Now I am at the top of tech advance while carefully expanding into east Germany and hungary, all the while keeping it good withe the giants of west (Austria) and east (Poland and Lithuania).

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Converting Anatolia as Romans is a huge pain. First coring all those lands, then converting all those lands, and then cultural conversion...at the same time fending off rebels for all three situations...

But at least it does stop overextension.
    It was a long process that sometimes ground to a halt depending on my stability but after awhile my missionary strength was so powerful i was converting provinces extremely quickly. Orthodox is quickly becoming a major chunk of Europe and Asia at Islams expense, most of my expansions have been in the East and South. You can see my current empire over on the Post your empire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    How did you manage to take Edirne as the Byzantine Empire? I am playing as them and this province is just a pain in the ***. It's the only one which I am missing for the Thriumph of Greece event. I know that it's their capital but do I have to take every Ottoman province and then go back for it?
    I should have helped rebels spawn which would have given me the province but I took the long route and Annexed all other Ottoman provinces and then finally Edirne. After 1500 the Mamluks annihilated the Ottomans Eastern lands so it didn't take that long once i had more manpower then they did. I've fought at least 7-8 wars against the Mamluks over 250 years before finally getting them down to one province near Ethiopia that you can view on the screenshot on the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    I should have helped rebels spawn which would have given me the province but I took the long route and Annexed all other Ottoman provinces and then finally Edirne. After 1500 the Mamluks annihilated the Ottomans Eastern lands so it didn't take that long once i had more manpower then they did. I've fought at least 7-8 wars against the Mamluks over 250 years before finally getting them down to one province near Ethiopia that you can view on the screenshot on the other thread.
    Hmm, in my campaign there aren't any rebels in Edirne + the Ottomans are just annihilating the Mameluks and the only thing that saves me now is my navy.I am wondering if there is a way to edit the province in the save file as I ca easily take it and I have occupied it so many times and it's just unfair and stupid that I can't conquer it.

The first thing I did was to build a HUGE fleet. Romans are slightly ahead in all technologies, so I didn't have much problems supporting a large army along with it.

Then, I declared war on the Ottomans when they were busy with Timurids and those little states to the east. I waited until I was sure that majority of their army had already crossed the straits to deal with the eastern problems, and then I used my huge navy to block them off from coming back. After that, my 18,000 strong army besieged and took over thier provinces.

Their navy came to free the straits, but my cheap spam of ships was still too heavy for them, and they lost. I demanded most of Greece. I formed another 17,000 strong army and attacked Anatolia after few years, when they were busy trying to deal with Bulgarians who had revolted. I took some Bulgarian lands, since they were Roman lands in reality anyway.

But basically yes, I had to take down the entire of Ottoman faction before they had only Edirne and Amasya (or whatever it is) left.

The first thing I did was to build a HUGE fleet. Romans are slightly ahead in all technologies, so I didn't have much problems supporting a large army along with it.

Then, I declared war on the Ottomans when they were busy with Timurids and those little states to the east. I waited until I was sure that majority of their army had already crossed the straits to deal with the eastern problems, and then I used my huge navy to block them off from coming back. After that, my 18,000 strong army besieged and took over thier provinces.

Their navy came to free the straits, but my cheap spam of ships was still too heavy for them, and they lost. I demanded most of Greece. I formed another 17,000 strong army and attacked Anatolia after few years, when they were busy trying to deal with Bulgarians who had revolted. I took some Bulgarian lands, since they were Roman lands in reality anyway.

But basically yes, I had to take down the entire of Ottoman faction before they had only Edirne and Amasya (or whatever it is) left.
    Yeah, I also used the fleed to block them in Asia and I have all of their European territories but I can't take Edirne in a peace treaty because it is their capital and it really bugs me.
    So does anybody know what to do except annexing the Ottomans completely because they defeated all of these eastern muslim nations(the Mameluks, Yemen and whoever esle was there) and now they are huge. There is no way I am going to Saudi Arabia for Edirne which is in the Balkans...

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    My first campaign with this game was Austria. However since I had been making misuse of my monarch points (using them to get full stab, harsh treat rebels,maintain too much relations) I was left hopelessly behind in tech. Thus I changed to Bohemia and focused on getting tech when it costs less than a thousand points . Now I am at the top of tech advance while carefully expanding into east Germany and hungary, all the while keeping it good withe the giants of west (Austria) and east (Poland and Lithuania).
    Blah, research tech before time is just wasting points, which you can unlock ideas or doing other things else that are more crucial to your national survive.

Yeah, I also used the fleed to block them in Asia and I have all of their European territories but I can't take Edirne in a peace treaty because it is their capital and it really bugs me.
    So does anybody know what to do except annexing the Ottomans completely because they defeated all of these eastern muslim nations(the Mameluks, Yemen and whoever esle was there) and now they are huge. There is no way I am going to Saudi Arabia for Edirne which is in the Balkans...
    One way is to let the Ottomans core a province of theirs and then turn it into capital. But AI never changes capital it seems, only the player does.

So as far as I know, the only way is to demolish the whole Ottoman empire, which is pretty stupid.

In Victoria II it is even more stupid, because although there is no Roman Empire left there are still Greeks with their Megali Idea. It is a pain, because in that game Ottomans stretch from Austria to Iraq, and whole of Levant later on. EU4 at least allows to change capital.

Another thing you can do is cheat. Use the 'TAG TUR' cheat to become the Ottomans, move the capital somewhere (or start coring if there isn't a far-off location), use 'TAG BYZ' to get back to Romans, and begin your conquest or wait for their cores to complete (at which point you can move their capital).

Cannot believe people complaining about Edirne problem of Byzantium, as it already exists in EU3 except Byzantium is even weaker in EU3. So if people can do it in EU3 I fail to see why you cannot in EU4.

EU3 Rome is easier in one way - it has cores on Anatolia.