Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV - official discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    You will be fine as long as you don't play horde on ironman SP.
    I never understood the appeal of ironman in the first place. Can't you just learn self control, and not cheat or savescum? Besides, all that brief lag from the autosaving is kinda annoying, especially if you player on higher speeds all the time. Not to mention the possibility of your save getting bloated/corrupted.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

West Africa finally getting the update it needs: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...mp-West-Africa

Really looking forward to AoW update. Can't stand the micromanagement needed to keep navies up to date. This is especially tedious since I like to colonise the New World...

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Cougman21's Avatar Decanus

So I started playing EU4 last week and I am having a great time. I checked the ledger and I am pretty far behind the other major powers in almost every military category. I was curious about manpower caps and how the top 3-4 nations had their land unit caps at ~130, mine is at 76. Besides the Ottomans, Castile, has a very large army and manpower cap. They do have the most colonies, with myself right behind them. My manpower cap is around 53k and the other large nations have well over 100k.

I'm curious how others play in this respect? If I try to field a full military, navy and land, my budget will get nuked. But I am having a difficult time keeping pace with the other nations (my tech is right with theirs). Most of Africa and South America are taken and the Thirteen Colonies are expanding for me. I was thinking of raising a large army and invading Spain to cripple their manpower cap and economy, but I feel like they would wear down my army over time putting them in a better position to attack me.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Lucky Nations.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The Paradox newsletter emailed out yesterday has an article:

"This Is A Very Mysterious Headline, That Might be Trying to Tell You Something

If you are a person who likes Paradox Interactive games, you might want to take a mental note of Thursday the second of October.

Maybe, this is a message from the future, maybe it means to alert you to something good.

Something you might not want to miss.

Keep an eye on our channels."

Might be getting a date for Art of War tomorrow, or a date for something else that's big.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougman21 View Post
    So I started playing EU4 last week and I am having a great time. I checked the ledger and I am pretty far behind the other major powers in almost every military category. I was curious about manpower caps and how the top 3-4 nations had their land unit caps at ~130, mine is at 76. Besides the Ottomans, Castile, has a very large army and manpower cap. They do have the most colonies, with myself right behind them. My manpower cap is around 53k and the other large nations have well over 100k.

I'm curious how others play in this respect? If I try to field a full military, navy and land, my budget will get nuked. But I am having a difficult time keeping pace with the other nations (my tech is right with theirs). Most of Africa and South America are taken and the Thirteen Colonies are expanding for me. I was thinking of raising a large army and invading Spain to cripple their manpower cap and economy, but I feel like they would wear down my army over time putting them in a better position to attack me.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!
    Firstly, you sound like you're playing England/Britain since you're talking about the Thirteen Colonies. My advice is don't worry. Playing Britain in the conventional manner means you'll have low manpower and low land forcelimits. You'll on the other hand have high naval forcelimits and if you play the colonial game right, you'll find yourself becoming very rich quickly.

If you're playing on default settings, don't even think about landing on Spain. If lucky nations are on they'll likely decimate you, even if you win you'll haemorrhage manpower, and you will not cripple them. Your best bet is to play the colonial game. Get a bigger navy, pick a colonial CB, go to war in the New World, use your navy to stop any reinforcements and take their colonies.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Cougman21's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Firstly, you sound like you're playing England/Britain since you're talking about the Thirteen Colonies. My advice is don't worry. Playing Britain in the conventional manner means you'll have low manpower and low land forcelimits. You'll on the other hand have high naval forcelimits and if you play the colonial game right, you'll find yourself becoming very rich quickly.

If you're playing on default settings, don't even think about landing on Spain. If lucky nations are on they'll likely decimate you, even if you win you'll haemorrhage manpower, and you will not cripple them. Your best bet is to play the colonial game. Get a bigger navy, pick a colonial CB, go to war in the New World, use your navy to stop any reinforcements and take their colonies.
    Yeah I am playing a GB, lol @ me for leaving that out. But yeah, the more I think about it the more it makes sense having a strong navy and not as strong land army. The colonies are doing a good job expanding and taking Native territory, so I will swing around and do the same. At one point Castile's manpower was very low so I considered striking when they were weak, especially since I was allied with France and Aragon*. But I will focus on picking up as many colonies as possible now.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    The Paradox newsletter emailed out yesterday has an article:

"This Is A Very Mysterious Headline, That Might be Trying to Tell You Something

If you are a person who likes Paradox Interactive games, you might want to take a mental note of Thursday the second of October.

Maybe, this is a message from the future, maybe it means to alert you to something good.

Something you might not want to miss.

Keep an eye on our channels."

Might be getting a date for Art of War tomorrow, or a date for something else that's big.
    HoI4 release details

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Might be. There was a HoI4 article in said newsletter as well, though, with nothing on EU4, but that might be reading too much into it. We'll find out tomorrow.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Sale!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Hi everyone. Since I am finnaly starting to get things done with the game with a successful Burgundy game I am curious about what overhaul mods are available fo EUIV. I gave a try to M&T this morning. It was nice. Any other recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cougman21 View Post
    I'm curious how others play in this respect? If I try to field a full military, navy and land, my budget will get nuked.
    Personnaly I never reach the force limits. But most of the time I play big fat nations like France or Burgundy rather that small but potentially extremely wealthy ones.

Try extended time mods. But anyway I wouldn't advice you to start new mod campaign until AoW comes out, because map change will most likely up your save game.

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It's nearly 3 weeks until AoW comes out, you can definitely start a new campaign...

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I bought the game a couple days before the game went on sale - nearly 75-80 % off. The bastards.

Veritas et Fortudo mod is pretty good imo.
    ''Holy hell that Scythe is overpowerd! Death should be nerfed!''

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

What're people thinking of the game with the new patch? I ing love the new rebel system, and the new map.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Biggieboy's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but any suggestions when playing as France? I annexed several vassals, but I'm struggling to find worthwhile alliances, and I get my butt handed time and time again because everyone is ganging up on me (war against austria, castille, aragon, portugal, england, venice, oh lovely!)
    Look not above, there is no answer there; Pray not, for no one listens to your prayer; Near is as near to God as any Far, And Here is just the same deceit as There.

And do you think that unto such as you; A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew: God gave the secret, and denied it me?-- Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.

"Did God set grapes a-growing, do you think, And at the same time make it sin to drink? Give thanks to Him who foreordained it thus-- Surely He loves to hear the glasses clink!" Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    What're people thinking of the game with the new patch? I ing love the new rebel system, and the new map.
    Didn't like that it borked MP for some time even with the beta patches but I like it.

Mogadishu is so fan, I am considering them in our next MPB
    Behold paradoxical Burgundian inheritance in 1.9