Thread: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 5 up*

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Icon1 Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 5 up*

Author's Note: This AAR will unfortunately be devoid of any in-game pictures, as I have not figured out where I can find the pictures I took during the course of the campaign. Instead I will use the occasional piece of online art. Additionally, this will be divided into various POVs.

Chapter 1

Prologue

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Year 389 of the Fourth Age of the Sun

Today my father, the King, Atanamir Númaráto I of the House of Telcontar has passed the Crown and Sceptre on to me. The burden of Kingship, strongly borne by my father and my grandfather before him for so many years is now mine.
    Under their steady hand, the Kingdom flourished and now it is at it's strongest state since the reign of King Elessar.

But as my grandfather once told me, it was not always so. In 238 the Reunited Kingdom was threatened on all sides. And that is the story told here, of the Rebellion of Adunabar, Herumor the Lord Black, his Shadow Cult and Amandil, my own errant kinsman.

Arveleg Atanamirion, King of the Reunited Kingdom

Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; August 10, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Default Re: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR

How do you take pictures? If you just press printscreen during game, then there's a folder named "tgas" in the main RTW directory, every image foes there. Just remember to set anti-aliasing to "None" in Video settings, otherwise images will be all black.

So I should go to that folder. Thank you very much. Although I should say I've grown of using online art.

That's matter of taste then. At least now you know how to use the "in-game" option, if you choose to.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Looking forward to it.Will be nice to see some battle pics(at least from start and end).Cheers!

Thank you very much. As the campaign is still ongoing, would it be preferable to ''stage" some defeats for drama's sake? And I fel the need to inform anyone reading this that the first chapters will mostly be character development and setting the stage.

Chapter 2
    The New Shadow Lengthens

Cemendur

Year 219 of the Fourth Age of the Sun

As Anor's last rays of light fell down on the high ramparts of Annuminas, painting the lake of Evendim golden, Cemendur and Amandil the sons of High King Aldarion returned to the great city, Seat of the High King of the Dunedain and Jewel of the North.
    The City lay next to the lake Evendim, the waters of the lake supplying both the deep moat, the Aqueduct and the wide fields of crops outside. The city's three layers of walls were made of the same black stone as the famed Othram of Minas Anor and the Tower of Orthanc and stood at at a hundred and fifty feet tall and it seemed that no foe, strong as he might be could overcome them.
    Cemendur and Amandil came in from the Dock of the city, overlooked by the Lake-Walls and headed for the citadel. Such was the nature of the Citadel of Annuminas that it lay across two hills that were connected by a great Bridge of stone, and the Tower of Elendil was set on the peak, shining like a glinting spearpoint.

The doors of the Tower of Elendil opened for the High King's sons, but Cemendur noticed a look of worry in the eyes of the young Doorward. I need to ask father on the matter thought Cemendur but then again, I am like to hear of it soon.
    He and his brother saw their father sitting on the Throne, engaged in deep thought. He only noticed their presence after a while.

''My Sons" said King Aldarion, called by some the Sickly in the loudest tone he could manage. Though sickness came rarely to the Dunedain, Aldarion had always had a weak constitution, and he did not fully inherit any of his father's traits, except perhaps his wisdom. ''I have received very worrying news. Umbar, our chief holding in the lands of Harad, has fallen."

Cemendur was shocked beyond words. ''Father, where did you receive these news from?

''Captain of Ships Ciryaher. He sent a messenger by ship."

''What did the letter say?"

''There was not much detail on the event, but this is clear Cemendur: The apartments of the garrison were lit on fire; then there was an assault on the Governor's Palace. The men guarding Umbar were slaughtered like sheep. The men of our fleet saved those they could, but yet more were taken by the fire or by the sword than they could save."

''Father, my King" Amandil who had remained silent thus far; spoke. ''It is truly as Herumor your old Councillor predicted. He said that Harad would be lost if his warnings were ignored." Amandil was known to be friendly to the resigned counselor, occasionally meeting and consulting with him.

''It is more like that the revolt in Umbar was engineered by him, Amandil than that he predicted it."

Amandil glared at his brother. ''Herumor did more for the Realm in the ten years since his coming than your friend Barahir did in seventy."

It was Cemendur's turn to glare. ''Your words are not courteous brother. You do a great disservice to a worthier man than any of your friends will ever be. Had Herumor stayed as long as Barahir to consult the King, there would be no Realm to speak of."

Aldarion finally spoke up. ''My sons. Stop your quarreling. Every angry word spoken between us brings laughter to the lips of the Haradrim. I give to you this task: Fortify Harondor and Gondor so that no Raids will come to our shores in the future. Now that the Haradrim have Umbar, they will surely take up the swords of their forefathers and come after us. I will give you 12.000 men for this task. Make me proud."

Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; August 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Well, I did manage to find and open the screenshots. Only to find that I had my settings screwed up. So the battles containing screenshots would be the later ones. (Or I could alternatively reload various saved of the campaign for the purpose of taking screenshots. Or at least the big moments in those campaigns. That would work since I pretty much saved every once in a while.)
    Last edited by Aradan; August 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM.

I'm writing the third chapter right now. It is about

The Flight to Erindol

Chapter 3
    Erindol

Ondoher

228 of the Fourth Age of the Sun

The garrison of the Treegarth of Orthanc had been called to help the preparation of fortifications built in the Southern Gondorian provinces by the sons of the High King. Ondoher heeded the call and took the entire garrison of Orthanc with him. A hasty decision in hindsight thought Ondoher as he rode at the head of the host. Yet who will attack it? The Dunlendings have submitted long ago and the Rohirrim are our allies.
    Throca, a local chieftain guided them through the woods, rode beside them, he had even proposed to give them some of his warriors to reinforce their host. An offer graciously declined of course. I am not a complete fool. Dunledish warriors were known for their cruelty and a fearsome reputation preceded them, in spite of their many historical defeats.

''I will ride ahead with my kinsmen and guards if you will, my lord." said Throca in his usual gruff tone.

''You have my leave chieftain. Go, if you will so." replied Ondoher.

As Throca's horse sped away, Ondoher felt a strange chill come through him. It must be the wind thought Ondoher. It was a very windy day. The leaves of the forest were rattling fiercely, as if men in full mail. Ondoher was interrupted from his thoughts by the sound of wolf-calls. It cannot be... Ondoher thought when suddenly, two arrows whizzed past his head.

''Form up, men!" Ondoher shouted as a rain of projectiles of many kinds came from the forest. Arrows, Javelins and Rocks all hit the lines of his column. Fortunately, the very same wind that masked the approach of their ambushers led their many of their arrows astray. Ondoher's men quickly formed up and deflected the incoming projectiles with their large shields. We have little chance of winning, we must head to Erindol with all haste.

After the initial volleys war-cries were heard from the forest. Axemen and hounds, and the fierce Wolfhunters came out charging at their line, along with pikemen and spearmen. Ondoher and his guard charged the flanks of the disorganized line while they were attacking the Dunedain thangail*. The enemy flank broke, driven to retreat and soon the rest followed them.
    Yet, despite their success at repelling the attack, Ondoher's men did not rest but continued marching, ever watchful for enemies. They too had suffered great losses. Their vigilance however, did not avail them, as soon enough, horsemen came from the forest with yet more footmen with them. Ondoher's men were forced into a fighting retreat until they reached the town of Erindol. Then, when the survivors were counted they did not number much more than a hundred. The rest of the host was taken captive, or slain in the ambush.

* A formation mentioned in UT, in the Gladden Fields chapter. It translates to shield-fence.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; August 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 3 up*

Has anyone got an opinion on this? Or is it just bad beyond words?

Default Re: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 3 up*

No, no - well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I would guess some folks are just reading along and waiting for you to get deeper into the campaign.

To be honest, I have a hard time with AARs when they spend a lot of time on character development and backstory. Again, just speaking for myself, I like to read about how other players handle specific situations in-game. A little discussion of character and literary flourishes are ok, but I like to be able to see how the campaign is really progressing as a game, if that makes sense.

I'll keep reading, though, especially as it seems you are about to get into the real 'meat' of your campaign.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

The only chapters of that type that remain are this one and the next. They will be dealing with the founding of Adunabar. After that it will be all constant battles and the campaign map.(Since I did manage to get my screenshots working)
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; August 12, 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Chapter 4
    The Lord Black

Saelon

Year 228 of the Fourth Age of the Sun

As he was tasked by Cemendur, he managed to enter Amandil's inner circle of friends. He was now trusted enough for Herumor, Amandil's closest confidant to approach him. Anything they ask me to do must be done, no matter how foul it is, it is for the good of the Realm Saelon thought to reassure himself as a hand led him down a set of stairs after another, until they finally reached it.

A great hall under Minas Ithil, full of great pillars, with a polished floor of black and purple marble, shining in the torchlight. In the centre of the room there were two statues. The foremost one, and the larger depicted an enormous person, man-like in appearance but with a face scarred and blackened, armoured, holding a great warhammer with a wolf's head in one hand, a black shield lacking emblazon or emblem on the other and crowned with Iron.
    The other depicted a smaller man, fair beyond measure, dressed with gold and silks, a Ring on his finger and a dread helm in one hand and a black sphere on the other, upraised arm. His clothes bore one symbol only. An Eye, lidless and wreathed in flame.

Beneath the feet of the statues, braziers stood, the offerings of the worshipers burning inside.

Herumor was below the statues, wearing clothes of purple and black, emblazoned with a black tree. His voice rose up, slow and melodious and he started chanting.

''Hail Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedom, He who Arises in Might, save us from the Doom of Men, and cast aside the lies of Vala and Elda alike!"

The audience rose up as well. ''Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedom!"

Herumor continued. ''Give us Might, Lord of the Strong, as you gave Tar-Mairon, your High Priest and Messenger!"

The Audience rose again. ''Give us Might, Lord of the Strong!" Amandil's eyes were fierce and it seemed as if they were blazing with light.

What a mockery of a noble name; Saelon thought his ancestor was the one who defied such lies in Numenor and his descendant will bring them back. Word must be brought back.

It was as if Herumor heard his thoughts as he turned to Saelon. ''Today we bring another worthy man to our fold. What is your name?"

''Saelon, my lord."

''Saelon, hold the torch and sword. Falassion!" he turned to one of his priests. ''Bring the offerings."

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 4 up*

Great description on the founding f The Kingdom of Adunabar and the part Herumor had in it.
    All so far was great reading, but the real threats for us readers will come now, when you start depicting the campaign.Will be looking forward to it.

P.S.:I might start an AAR with RK myself , but I've been a bit tight on my schedule lately, and I wouldn't want to disapoint for not having the time and energy to work on it properly.
    Last edited by Basileos Predator; August 12, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

Default Re: Those who Stand against the Shadow- A Reunited Kingdom AAR *Chapter 4 up*

I say go for it, Basileos! Just see what you can come up with; even if it's just unadorned campaign notes, it's interesting to see how people's games play out.

Keep it up, Feanaro - looking forward to more!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Chapter 5
    Shadow Ascendant

Amandil

228 of the Fourth Age of the Sun

'' My Lord. It is time to take your rightful throne. Your father is weak, and your brother is a pretender. With the blessing of Melkor you should be sure that all your opponents will be wept away. You have eleven thousand men loyal to you, men who would die for you."

For once, Amandil hesitated to agree with Herumor. ''You speak of striking at my own father and brother and at my own people. That is treachery."

''Lord Amandil, you are wiser than most men of our age, in you it is sure that one of the mighty Kings of Old is returned. You are wise to think of the danger, but can you not see the truth? These men need to be taught the truth, for the lies of
    the Valar and the Elves have blinded them. The Realm became weak because of their complacency. Wild men strike and prevail over the scions of Numenor? Against their rightful masters? There is however yet hope for the blood of Numenor. Hope for its pride and dignity to be restored."

''And what hope is that, Herumor?"

'' There is yet hope for our people. Hope in Melkor. A new Kingdom of the scions of Westernesse, founded under the blessing of Melkor. For did Numenor not reach it's greatest glory and power under Ar-Pharazon, the only King to embrace the Shadow?"

''And even then, who would help us Herumor?"

''In Harad there yet dwell those of the Blood of Numenor. In the Great City of Umbar they are still mighty, and they are not blinded by the lies of the West. So, you will have a strong fort in Minas Ithil, a great host to strike at Gondor and an ally in Harad. Your son, Ornendil, will be the King of a mighty Realm indeed."

''Then, let it be known that from this day on a new kingdom is forged. May it's enemies tremble at the sight of it's banners." Amandil proclaimed in a great voice.

''And what shall men call it, my King?" Herumor asked.

''Adunabar."