Thread: Propposals: The Historyc Battle of Golpayegan and Aspagur I of Iberia

Default Propposals: The Historyc Battle of Golpayegan and Aspagur I of Iberia

Hi! I think that would be interesting to include the battle of Golpayegan on 28 abril of 224, in which the last arsacid king Artabanus IV was defeated by Ardashir and his son Shapur I. Yes I know that battle was several years before the first year of the mod, but it would be awesome can play this fundamental battle of the history of Iran, and the rest of the Middle Orient. Besides for the arsacid units you could ask to the Clasical Age mod permission to use their fantastic phartian units. Here some examples:

Zradhan Spahbade : Parthian Royal bodyguards : With no doubt the best equipment, training and skills among all nobles, they had the chance to be knights appointed to the protection of the king himself. They were, at the beginning of the empire, well equipped, having some intriguing metal masks since the beginning, mostly to defend themselves against arrows. Even their hands were covered by pieces of metal and chainmail. For the legs, the lorica hamata was relatively cheap and practical. Like all Parthian nobles, they were highly versatile, beeing archers, spearmen with the long kontos, and swordsmen of great skills and fierciness.

Pushtigban (#1 old appearance #2 new): These impressive and famous units were elite noble chosen cataphracts, or Royal cataphracts. They were extremely heavy, beeing the tanks of the ancient world. The combined the weight of their entirely cladded, chosen, crossed breeds of Nisean horses and their own body armour, to be the heavyest cavalry unit in the world by far. This was probably sufficient, even at relatively low speed, to devastating any heavy infantry line, including the seleucid phalanxes. Entirely covered, using a kontos for the charge, at short range, and an heavy mace made of steel and lead for the melee, they were pure infantry breakers, pushing with a great and unstoppable blow and then hammering with no mercy the troops in disarray. All this, of course, was performed after a very long skirmishing and a non-ending rain of arrow performed during a whole day, if not several, by day and by night, by thousands of uncatchable horse-archers... The Pushtigban then always delivered the "coup de grāce" of crushing, decisive blow. Performed at great scale, they wiped out the Seleucids, disintegrating the legions of Crassus, after beeing crushed themselves by the Sassanids.

Grivpanvar i Palhavanig : Parthian royal late bodyguards : These late elite Royal bodyguards were now a very prestigious unit of a Royal, near_imperial cavalry, as the parthian late empire was quite bigger than any empire in the world, having compltely expelled the seleucids anywhere but on a few pockets of near-puppet kings... As beeing successors of the Persians, and also an Hellenized elite, masters of asia from Palestine to the Indus, their best elite units have been probaby wonderfully equipped, in a more somptuous way than former Parthian cataphracts. The use of the bow, the Kontos, the mace and sword, were only permitted by a retinue looking after their masters suits, ready to change their tired horse and give them new arrows or different weapons if needs, in the hearth of the battle.

Link of the mod page: http://www.ancient-battles.com/catw/parthia.htm

On other hand I think you should include Aspagur I Iberia, the arsacid king of Iberia, within the characters of the armenia kingdom. Here the text of wikipedia:

Aspagur I (Georgian: ასფაგურ I, Latinized as Aspacures), of the Arsacid dynasty, was a king of Iberia (natively known as Kartli; ancient Georgia) from 265 to 284.
    According to the medieval Georgian chronicles, Aspagur was either 23rd or 25th king of Iberia and, together with the Armenians, resisted the Sassanid Iranian expansion into the Caucasus. His reign probably coincided with the temporary reassertion of Roman control of the region under emperors Aurelian and Carus. He is reported to have been defeated by an Iranian invasion and died in exile in Alania. According to the chronicle Life of the Kings, he was last in his line, but his daughter, Abeshura, is claimed to have been married to Mirian, who would succeed him on the throne and become the first Georgian king to espouse Christianity.[1]
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; August 10, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Propposals: The Historyc Battle of Golpayegan and Aspagur I of Iberia

I like the suggestion, I like very much your whole post and I like also your nick ... so ...... +rep for el Cid!

Default Re: Propposals: The Historyc Battle of Golpayegan and Aspagur I of Iberia

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I like the suggestion, I like very much your whole post and I like also your nick ... so ...... +rep for el Cid!
    Thanks!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I like historical battles and they are great addition , but I think they are hard to make.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

As much as I like the idea it is way too early for RO plus there is no room for a Parthian faction. But this a possible mod based around conflict between the Parthian and Sassanid Royal Houses for control.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Doing a historical battle wouldn't actually prove too much of a problem, if you wouldn't mind the Parthians being represented by the Sassanids that is.

Only thing is, historical battles are incredibly annoying to create. You have to create the map itself, position all the troops via the editor, and then create rather dull and laborious scripts to make the AI perform a certain way up to the point the player takes control. Add to that the viewpoints you have to set so the camera follows the battle correctly while it is setting up and its just not worth it.

Far easier is for you to "make your own" historical battles in the form of a custom battle, pick both forces as you would for a historical battle, and then deploy your own units as you would for the battle and let the AI take it from there. It takes a fraction of the time it would to build the battle itself, and the results are pretty much the same.

I downloaded an EB historical battles pack made by some people, really fun to fight those battles!
    炸鸡

I think that the phartian faction could be represented bu the rebels with these pharthian units, so would not necesary to add another faction. Besides some of the phartian units could be recruited in places with presence of phartian nobility like Phartia or Armenia.

Exactly! I remember some user made historical battles that represented some factions with the rebel/Eleutheroi slot simply because in many mods rebels get most of the units and the 20 (21) factions limit.
    炸鸡

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Guys, it won't be happening. As I said, it is way too early for the mod and all the unit slots are taken.

Did I mention they're also a pain in the ass to make? Because that bit is kinda important.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

That's all I have to say now.

炸鸡

Well, if anybody wants to volunteer to make us some suitable Historical Battles we're obviously not going to turn it down, but being a relatively small team, we can't afford to spend the time required for such a small return, which as I've said, can be more ore less simulated with custom battles anyway.

Anybody who wants to give it a try can do it through IBSAI and don't worry about the factions too much because changing that and the unit rosters is actually the easy part.

Any takers?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda
    ... a pain in the ass ...
    Knon, may I dare to ask you, if these are 'bad words'? ..... I mean 'Pain in the ass'?

.... you know, being Italian, my knowledge of the Brit lexicon is pretty limited .... so .... I don't know if actually 'ass' can be safely used, without problems I mean, in any occasion ....

I don't recommend including it in your daily vocabulary. For your own well being that is.
    炸鸡