Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faction-Preview Egypt

Default Re: Faction-Preview Egypt

We appreciate all your comments and encourage you to do even more. Thanks! Isn't nice to see some realistic historical Egyptian forces instead of these "Return of the Mummy"-Stuff?

Also questions are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by whatusername
    Amazing! One question:

What kind of spear is this guy wielding?
    It's a short version of the niw.en-djeret (hand spear) with an exeptional big warhead. Older reliefs of the 18th show similar weapons. The niw.en-djeret is a Saite period (26th Dyn) weapon, but in their cultural and military renaissance, they may have mixed them. Another possibility is an artist's exaggeration, but that would be boring for our mod, so gameplay decided that historical discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    How do you pronounce "tm3.w"?
    Temaw, I'd say. I am no expert on linguistic though, I took all of the names from Diana Pressl's work on Saite Egypt's officials.

Quote Originally Posted by VandalCarthage
    I've been wondering... have you guys put Egypt in control of Kyrenaica (as the map seems to suggest)? I ask because as I understand it, his control there was never more then just a great deal of personal influence.
    As Rez said, Kyrene is an independend faction. The spheres of influence however clash more in the west, than we can show on the map. We roughly estimated Kyrene's influence after that:
    http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Cities/NorthAfrica.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Keravnos
    Greek hoplites were based in Naykratis, in the Delta of Nile. I hope it is in the map, since it was the only place that Greeks could stay in.
    First, the hoplite force, which the military files of the Saite-period officials list under the term h3w-nbw, i.e. not in conjunction with an arguable ethnical meaning it might have had, included not only Greeks. There were also a lot Hoplites from Asia Minor, as written.
    Second, the restriction was not intended for the mercenaries who had their own allotment of land in the Nile Delta, but for the numerous Greek merchants, who had been exploiting and fleecing the native population before.

However, the Hoplite force, just like the other mercenaries, will be only availble in certain places.
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)

Quote Originally Posted by VandalCarthage
    I've been wondering... have you guys put Egypt in control of Kyrenaica (as the map seems to suggest)? I ask because as I understand it, his control there was never more then just a great deal of personal influence.
    You're right, the map is a bit misleading, which is entirely my fault. But, as said, Kyrene is not under Egypt's control, and you'll see their territory when we preview Kyrene.
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

Nah, since we cannot now the exact western border of Egypt nor the exact sphere of influence of Kyrene, it is ok.
    We have just stretched the border a bit, but I don't think it is way off the mark.

Anyway, this is just a minor thing, for preview intended only.

Great work guys! I am looking forward to your next release when all these new content is included. I loved Herodots histories, great I can play in that world soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1
    Khemet comes from Khem meaning "burnt." I believe it refers to the complexion of the people.
    The bible lists "Ham" as a patriarch of the then known nations of the time and "Khem" might refer to him.
    Kmt/Kemet means "the black land", refering to the fertile soil of the nile valley as opposed to dsrt/deshret, "the red land", the desert surrounding it.

Actually Kyrene will be a playable faction independant of Egypt.

You will see this faction soon enough, thanks for all the kind words!
    As Rez said, Kyrene is an independend faction. The spheres of influence however clash more in the west, than we can show on the map. We roughly estimated Kyrene's influence after that:
    http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Cities/NorthAfrica.gif
    Nah, since we cannot now the exact western border of Egypt nor the exact sphere of influence of Kyrene, it is ok.
    Wow, thanks for all the replies Awesome to hear though, I hadn't realized they'd be in. Cheers

Europa Barborum Bahaltn Faction Coordinator

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

This is the first time I checked this mod. Congratulations. I really liked your units. Good to add a musician. These little details really add to the atmosphere.

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

the models are nice but the textures need more work. try adding some more rough looking clothing, and maybe not so bright... the models and the swords look good.

The only really bright figure is the Pharaoh, which is entirely historical.
    The Egyptian army took great care of keeping their cloths white and while some of the more basic troops such as the `pr.w (Troopers) are represented in less clean but rather dirty cloths, the elite troops were expected to shine on the battlefield - even more so the Pharaoh.
    Also the structure of the cloths is made very well, you can clearly distinguish the fabrics used by the `pr.w (Troopers) in opposite to that of the mh-ib (Guard troops). Another structure is the linen armour. All these are represented in different states of cleanness.

Unfortunatly, the Egyptian army way all-white (with few exceptions), using only two different kind of fabric at most.
    However, this is historical, so we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuiG View Post
    The Egyptian army looks cool. Why is the Egyptian kingdom call Kemet?
    because Kemet was Egypt's name in ancient times. I know, i study Egyptology.
    Last edited by EgyptianWarLord; September 30, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    How do you pronounce "tm3.w"? Nice units btw.
    the 3 is a long A as in arm.
    Last edited by EgyptianWarLord; September 30, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

lol why does one of the units have straight hair? unless its braided then that makes sence

nice units guys I hope you make them a bit stronger in V3 since in V2 kamets elite units don't stand a chanse against arastibara.

I love the egyptions too but I think they should get an ATCK/DEF boost since.... well....they sopose to be one of the 4 super powers in middle east , but I think there is nothing wrong with the unit models they look fantastice good luck I just can't wait for V3 to be released
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Aye, I believe the persian immortal is right here: some units of the Kemet faction are quite weak if compared to other factions' units. Even their hoplites (wich I particulary like ) are somewhat disadvantaged in comparison with other hoplites units (at least, this is from what I can recall, it's been a while since I've played RoP the last time. But I recall perfectly that fighting with the Cyrenaic Kingdom's hoplites was really hard).

I'd love to see this faction being streghtened a little bit (just a little bit, nobody likes to play uber factions and moreover the battles would be too easy ) in the newest release by making their elite units a bit more powerful, since it has been my favourite faction in this mod.

I couldn't agree more I don't want an overpowered unit roster just a bit stronger so they can hold their own I mean they were one of the four super powers so they deserve a stronger roster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Quote Originally Posted by Cinuz View Post
    Aye, I believe the persian immortal is right here: some units of the Kemet faction are quite weak if compared to other factions' units. Even their hoplites (wich I particulary like ) are somewhat disadvantaged in comparison with other hoplites units (at least, this is from what I can recall, it's been a while since I've played RoP the last time. But I recall perfectly that fighting with the Cyrenaic Kingdom's hoplites was really hard).

I'd love to see this faction being streghtened a little bit (just a little bit, nobody likes to play uber factions and moreover the battles would be too easy ) in the newest release by making their elite units a bit more powerful, since it has been my favourite faction in this mod.
    I'll look into the hoplites; they should have the same stats as the others of their tier, at least.
    Kemet will also have access to more regional units, so that'll make them a bit stronger as well.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Very good...make sure to check also the animations...if I remember well, in v.2 they fought both with spear and sword, while the other hoplites fought only with spear...this means that the egyptian hoplites charge weilding their swords

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

I gather they will no longer bbe steamrolled by Cyrene?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinuz View Post
    Very good...make sure to check also the animations...if I remember well, in v.2 they fought both with spear and sword, while the other hoplites fought only with spear...this means that the egyptian hoplites charge weilding their swords
    Note that that actually makes them stronger in combat - no matter the stats, swords killl infantry much better than spears. So both spears and swords is actually a good thing. For the player.

@Roach:
    LOL, as soon as Cyrene expands out of Cyrenaica they don't really any source of Greek manpower. They can only recruit their crack units in their starting regions or waaay into late game.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    Note that that actually makes them stronger in combat - no matter the stats, swords killl infantry much better than spears. So both spears and swords is actually a good thing. For the player.

@Roach:
    LOL, as soon as Cyrene expands out of Cyrenaica they don't really any source of Greek manpower. They can only recruit their crack units in their starting regions or waaay into late game.
    So will Egypt pwn them for once?

The ideal situation would be complete balance, but yeah.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast