Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EU4 Demo is out!!

Default Re: EU4 Demo is out!!

Thanks for this info, get some EUIV in before it's out! I needed something new to play.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

You're welcome

IZob's Avatar Citizen

So first impressions:

Playing at speed 3 or higher felt a little glitchy. It could have been my average graphics card, so I turned down some of the options. This helped, but I think another reason could be, speed 3 is actually very fast. In fact speed 3 looked more like speed 4 in EU3. So I spent most of my time playing in speed 2.

The mountain shadows are a tad annoying. If you tweak the graphics options you can kind of negate their effect; Still they make it a littler harder to see things clearly (borders, colours, names).

The rivers are a too wide in some places and too easily confused as province borders. You can turn them off (and I might try that next time for a longer period of time), but who wants to risk an accidental river crossing at war?

Overall the map is very nice to look at, and the geography is a vast improvement from EU3. ... However there are no pine trees (in the terrain view), so the North looks a little odd.

There isn't a significant change in the number provinces. Some areas have less (Japan), others have more (Denmark, Scotland, ...), some have just switched places or been squished for new ones. The borders of most provinces have changed, especially the uglier 90 degree corners and straight lines, which are gone. Overall good decisions.

The AI is smarter.

I like the new idea progression and requirements.

The new trade system isn't as confusing as it looks. It actually feels a lot simpler.

Recruiting new units will take some getting use to.

Loans still scare me!

Edit: The new battle sounds and music tracks are great improvements.

The UI is improved but at the same time, its also harder to see. It could be just my inexperience at finding things in the UI. It could be their choice of pattens, colours, button placement, etc. Maybe I've played too much of EU3.
    Last edited by IZob; August 08, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

I am still on holiday and I can't get the demo... fml
    ''Holy hell that Scythe is overpowerd! Death should be nerfed!''

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Not going to download this. Want to wait for the finished and full product.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Strange you cannot scroll up or down once unpause?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Please tell that all the features from all the EU3 expansions are in this. I don't want to buy a game just so they can put something in with DLCs later that I already had

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Please tell that all the features from all the EU3 expansions are in this. I don't want to buy a game just so they can put something in with DLCs later that I already had
    It is pretty much there.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

I was pretty excited for this awhile back but honestly i may pass on this game till some expansions bring some features in.

The current eu3 with mods is more enjoyable then this right now, so im content to wait.

Apartly getting the preorder now you can get the exporter from CK2 to EU4.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Strange you cannot scroll up or down once unpause?
    iirc You can, at least, I could.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Black Knight♔ View Post
    I was pretty excited for this awhile back but honestly i may pass on this game till some expansions bring some features in.

The current eu3 with mods is more enjoyable then this right now, so im content to wait.
    Pretty much this, I was initially hyped for EU4 on it's reveal. Then when the dev diaries started coming out I started getting disappointed with each one and after a while I stopped caring altogether for EU4.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze470 View Post
    Pretty much this, I was initially hyped for EU4 on it's reveal. Then when the dev diaries started coming out I started getting disappointed with each one and after a while I stopped caring altogether for EU4.
    All Paradox games are like that; some new features are rather exciting but there are still a lot of improvements can be done once fans starting giving advices.

meh
    im disappointed the westernization mechanic is still in the game

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ptoss1 View Post
    meh
    im disappointed the westernization mechanic is still in the game
    Why? It wouldn't make sense for nations like Egypt or China to lead in tech.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

I think he means its has the same type of mechanics as in EU3. i.e.: You need a western nation as a neighbour, you need to be at a certain tech number behind, and you need stability 3.

I personally think its wrong that you need to be a neighbour of a western nation. Trading goods and technology (i.e.: western nations selling their technology), or consistent fighting against western nations, would a better mechanic requirement imo.

Eu4 does have a few other subtle differences however:
    • You no longer upgrade the military separately.
    • The transformation between levels does not happen immediately. You start at 1% completed, and depending on your stability, it will grow or decrease until it reaches 100% which is completion for that level.
    • "New World Nations" can reach the western tech level immediately (so long as they are the correct tech number behind). But still have a fair catching up to do.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ead.php?677489

Playing as a new world nation could be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    Why? It wouldn't make sense for nations like Egypt or China to lead in tech.
    No it's not that. I don't like how the equivalent of real worldwesternization is carried out. EU4 has advanced in a lot of areas that improve on EU3, but Westernization itself as a feature is really immersion breaking for me. The idea of westernization didn't occur until the early 1800s when Europe advanced far enough in technology to have a tangible effect on the battlefield. The way Westernization functions right now is that the player has to fulfill a bunch of conditions that are essentially "gamey," meaning nobody in the real world would think of it. As China I can achieve Westernization in the early or late 1600s if I wanted to, and then become more and more Westernized until I am equal in tech to European countries. So why would China want to Westernize in 1444 when it was still ahead of Europe in tech? Did the Emperor just say, "oh hey you know in 200 years these white people will come over here with giant ships and we'll be screwed," and decide that it needed to copy a bunch of people he's never met before? Also I hate that it's a "goal" I have to work towards in the game. The game is then separated into two parts. One is pre-Westernization when I am gimped by artificial limitations, which used to just be number manipulation, but they've improved that system with factions, and post-Westernization. After Westernization the giant blob that is China proceeds to bulldoze all that is Asia. Wtf? So no other nations gets the chance to Westernize? Essentially the first to do it wins.

I still like the game. EU4 feels much more natural to me than EU3 since the mechanics are now all centralized around Power Points, but it's somewhat disappointing to see that PI still sticks to such an artificial game mechanic. Westernization requirements like having to have a Western country beside yours (what this really means is that you give a province to that country) and that country must also be 8 tech levels higher than yours is complete . I'd rather just give European countries a tech boost once they reach the 1500s with diminishing effects given to neighbors the further away it is from the source, like a ripple effect if you understand. Anything that feels more natural than an instant

My Manchurian Empire for the Demo
    Last edited by ptoss1; August 09, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    I think he means its has the same type of mechanics as in EU3. i.e.: You need a western nation as a neighbour, you need to be at a certain tech number behind, and you need stability 3.

I personally think its wrong that you need to be a neighbour of a western nation. Trading goods and technology (i.e.: western nations selling their technology), or consistent fighting against western nations, would a better mechanic requirement imo.

Eu4 does have a few other subtle differences however:
    • You no longer upgrade the military separately.
    • The transformation between levels does not happen immediately. You start at 1% completed, and depending on your stability, it will grow or decrease until it reaches 100% which is completion for that level.
    • "New World Nations" can reach the western tech level immediately (so long as they are the correct tech number behind). But still have a fair catching up to do.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ead.php?677489

Playing as a new world nation could be very interesting
    Beat me to it. I think the trading feature you mentioned could work quite nicely since the mechanic has been updated in EU4.

Quote Originally Posted by ptoss1 View Post
    No it's not that. I don't like how the equivalent of real worldwesternization is carried out. EU4 has advanced in a lot of areas that improve on EU3, but Westernization itself as a feature is really immersion breaking for me. The idea of westernization didn't occur until the early 1800s when Europe advanced far enough in technology to have a tangible effect on the battlefield. The way Westernization functions right now is that the player has to fulfill a bunch of conditions that are essentially "gamey," meaning nobody in the real world would think of it. As China I can achieve Westernization in the early or late 1600s if I wanted to, and then become more and more Westernized until I am equal in tech to European countries. So why would China want to Westernize in 1444 when it was still ahead of Europe in tech? Did the Emperor just say, "oh hey you know in 200 years these white people will come over here with giant ships and we'll be screwed," and decide that it needed to copy a bunch of people he's never met before? Also I hate that it's a "goal" I have to work towards in the game. The game is then separated into two parts. One is pre-Westernization when I am gimped by artificial limitations, which used to just be number manipulation, but they've improved that system with factions, and post-Westernization. After Westernization the giant blob that is China proceeds to bulldoze all that is Asia. Wtf? So no other nations gets the chance to Westernize? Essentially the first to do it wins.

I still like the game. EU4 feels much more natural to me than EU3 since the mechanics are now all centralized around Power Points, but it's somewhat disappointing to see that PI still sticks to such an artificial game mechanic. Westernization requirements like having to have a Western country beside yours (what this really means is that you give a province to that country) and that country must also be 8 tech levels higher than yours is complete . I'd rather just give European countries a tech boost once they reach the 1500s with diminishing effects given to neighbors the further away it is from the source, like a ripple effect if you understand. Anything that feels more natural than an instant

My Manchurian Empire for the Demo
    How'd you end up playing as Manchu? Thought you could only play as 4 nations. Did you somehow mod it?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast