Thread: How will Carthage work?

Numahr's Avatar Foederatus

Default How will Carthage work?

This MOD seems really nicely done and I eagerly wait its release!

In the interim I have a question concerning my favorite faction, Carthage. How exactly will it work without any African territory on the strategic map? :hmmm:

In ITW and Hegemonia for example, there is just a little corner of land with Carthage and Utica: you get your income, African recruitement, etc. from there. So now let's say I play the Carthies in your Mod, how do I concretly play it? Do I recruit my numidian mercenaries immediately in Sicilia and southern Italy...? Elephants (if they are available at this time frame, which may not be the case, I don't remember when their use was first witnessed)

And BTW, will Carthage have a custom political system like Rome's? ... Or other any particular nice feature?

Thank you for your attention, and i heartily wish you good luck for finishing this Mod as soon as possible!

Default Re: How will Carthage work?

Thanks a lot Numahr.

In the first version of the mod Carthage (the city) will be not present in the map.
    The capital of the Punic dominion in Sicily will be represented by Lilybaeum; the Iberian and African units will be recruitable only by the Punic faction in the coastal provinces of Sicily, with recruitment times of several turns to represent that these troops will need a certain time to arrive from their native countries.
    However, I think to enlarge the map in the future to include a little portion of the African coast with Carthage and Utica and the whole Sardinia; also the coast of southern Gaul with the territories controlled by Marseille will be included to be part of a Greek Focean faction in the western borders of the Italian peninsula, since the Foceans where the other major power which for centuries contended the control of Western Mediterranean to the Etruscans and the Carthaginians.

PAENINSULA ITALICA project creator

Numahr's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks Luciano for the info.

Having african and iberian units available in Sicilia but taking a few turns to recruit is an interesting solutions, well representing the logistical difficulties Carthage had to deal with. But I would suggest, if this is not already done, to make something to represent the fact that Carthage's war budget was supported by the African assets, and not only the Sicilian ones. But well, for a temporary build, all this is maybe not needed...

Eventually competing with the Phoceans and the Etruscans altogether will be great!

As we are on the cathage topic, I have another question..

Hi Luciano as you stated in your post, it will take several turns for certain african units to arrive in sicily. Im also wondering is it possible to add a trade route line from that direction(africa)? or is that impossible due to the lack of land in that direction? If its not possible, could you in some way reflect on the sicily map of imported resources from Northen Africa. Im not sure if that would be an unfair advantage to cathage, but i think it might be interesting, what do you think?
    [Massive Sig Here]

Quote Originally Posted by Numahr
    This MOD seems really nicely done and I eagerly wait its release!

In the interim I have a question concerning my favorite faction, Carthage. How exactly will it work without any African territory on the strategic map? :hmmm:

In ITW and Hegemonia for example, there is just a little corner of land with Carthage and Utica: you get your income, African recruitement, etc. from there. So now let's say I play the Carthies in your Mod, how do I concretly play it? Do I recruit my numidian mercenaries immediately in Sicilia and southern Italy...? Elephants (if they are available at this time frame, which may not be the case, I don't remember when their use was first witnessed)

And BTW, will Carthage have a custom political system like Rome's? ... Or other any particular nice feature?

Thank you for your attention, and i heartily wish you good luck for finishing this Mod as soon as possible!
    If you love Carthage try PTW pages... In fact your question is a deeper one, without Carthage how will the political sistem work and the naval power be represented?